The linear Diode Detector

Hi guys,

I'm now moving to the diode detector that I want linear over a 10 to 1 range. Say 0.5v input to 5v input or .75v input to 7.5v input. As it stands my amp has a 470 ohm output impedance, I will adjust as needed. I found this article, that I think does what I want. However it is tested a 900Mhz, I'm happy to get to 10MHz. Do I scale the capacitor scale with frequency? (.047uf @ 500kHz)

Mikek

amdx

what article? what circuit?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sorry about that!

Mikek

amdx

It's a simple RC time constant at the highest modulation frequency.

F = 1 / (2*Pi*R*C) where: F= highest modulation frequency R= load resistance C= capacitor across the load resistance For your AGC, the RC time constant will be however fast you want your AGC to respond to changed in signal level, without also demodulating any AM modulation on the carrier.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Can this circuit be normalized from 50 ohms to a 470 ohm input impedance? Without affecting its linearity. Looking at figure 9, the 68 ohm, can be raised to 640 ohms, but what about the 4.7k ohm resistors, what do I do with those values?

Mikek

amdx

What you could do is replace R1 R2 (those two 4.7k) and replace with a

10k or 22k pot and take output from the wiper. Then you can adjust for best compromise linearity - assuming you have a calibrated signal generator or attenuator you can calibrate against.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Yes, that's the figure 4 modification. I do plan on using that. Good plan on the pot.

I probably should add the load of the meter to the output before adjusting for best linearity.

As far as equipment, I'll just need to go with what I have for testing the linearity. I have an HP 8640B, A Tek 2465B and a Boonton 92BD RY millivolt meter.

Thanks, Mikek

amdx

Seems silly. Why not add a diode drop worth of offset before the detector diode? That would do the temp comp and also fix most of the low-end deadband.

lunatic fringe electronics

Would you draw that for me, I'm not sure where the diode drop should be. I'm driving the detector from a collector, with 470 ohms to B+.

Thanks, Mikek

amdx

Who needs self-biasing for an active detector?

A fast peak detector might be done something like this:

Vcc Vcc -+- -+- | | |/Q1 |/ Q2

| |>. | | |>. | | | C1 --- | '--------- | -' --- | | | | | === .-. | + - | | .------+------(M)----->| | VR1 22K | | '-' C302 --- [22k] R301 |

100nF --- | | | | | === === ===

Wide dynamic range, and temperature-stable, too.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Thanks Jeff, So the cap is just a filter, not involved in the linearization process. In this case I have no modulation, just want to convert the RF to DC.

Mikek

amdx

I must remember to plant some of those geranium diodes this spring.

:)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

There are a zillion possible circuits. You could do something like this...

The PNP does the offset and temperature correction, and adds some current gain for your 470 ohm source.

If you use a schottky diode, it will have a few tenths of a volt of positive offset at the output, easily fixed. A silicon diode would be slower, but would have less offset.

It might be interesting to have the output resistor go to V- instead of ground.

It could also be made into an averaging detector, instead of a peak detector. Too many possibilities.

Hey, this is goofy:

If you're driving a meter, the diff output ain't bad.

lunatic fringe electronics

Are you building a receiver with an AGC (automagic gain control) that is driven by a linearized detector? If so, you might need some detail on AGC design (threshold, maximum SNR, dynamic range, attack time, release time, hold time, modulation immunity, noise limiter interaction, etc)? For example:

On the other foot, if all you want is an indication of received RF level, may I recommend one of Analog Devices wide dynamic range RF detectors: These are commonly used for QRP RF power meters, VSWR meters, and could probably be convinced to drive an S-Meter.

There are also various chips made for cell phones, where a linear RSSI (receive signal strength indicator) is required. For example, AD8367. Notice the built in detector.

If there's no modulation, what are you building? (I'm curious).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

DSO scopes that can easily handle 10MHz and do all sorts of measurements are on the market -- do you really need the "RF-ish" sort of stuff?

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Fun. If you ran the op amp off a single supply, moved the parallel RC to the negative side, and returned the input resistor there, you could maybe make the second stage diff amp's job easier.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

John, you're breaking the rules: A crystal radio set does not contain any power supplies or active devices. It seems that the OP (amdx) is attempting to invent a better crystal set.

--

-TV
Reply to

No, I'm attempting to replace the tube amp/detector in a Boonton 260A.

Mikek

amdx

I may be getting the details wrong, but this circuit works well, down to well under a diode drop. D1 and the cap form a "normal" RF detector, with some diode drop. The op-amp and associated parts raise the output voltage up by about the same amount as D1 drops it. The trick is that the resistor needs to be different (larger, IIRC) than the line impedance to account for the peak factor of the current through D1.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

With a lot of help, I want to replace V301 the in the Q circuit. I don't expect 50kHz to 50MHz, but If I can make it work to 10MHz, that would be great.

V301 functions as a high input impedance amp and detector. I have the high input impedance transistor amp, now I want to rectify the output to get DC to drive a meter. Here's the original circuit around V301.

Thanks, Mikek

amdx