The flow

So, contemplating to make some LOX, do some experiments, I was a bit worried that the glass dewar would break, LOX is explosive when you pour it over some stuff. So I googled for laboratory equipment, and it seems anything with that label is 30 x the manufacturing cost, a small dewar costs a fortune, so I said to myself: "I God wants me to do this, he will get me the right stuff. I am not going to spend hundreds of Euros on a bottle I maybe only use a few times." Ah, shortly after that thought somebody dumped a lot of folders into the mailbox, I look at one, and there is this camping thermos in the discount for eh 7 Euros IIRC. Anyways it also came with 2 double isolated stainless steel cups, no worry of breaking those. So, that was last week, this Saturday I decided to go get one, if no good it could always be used for coffee or ice thee. And guess what, brought it home and the thermos itself is double sided stainless steel too. On top of that it has a special plug that will release on over pressure. Those guys are targeting the wrong market!

Now for orbit I think I need 3 stages if I remember that rocket equation correctly ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

that the glass

times."

mailbox,

IIRC.

breaking those.

stainless steel too.

correctly ;-)

Just remember that, as LOX evaporates, pure oxygen gas will soak into any materials near it....like your clothes.....and acts to accelerate combustion in a fashion that is incredible. Any small ignition source could set your clothes on fire and cause them to burn at speeds and temperatures far above what they would burn at in normal air. Playing with LOX is not a thing to learn about the hard way. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:57:04 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@is.invalid wrote in :

that the glass

stuff.

times."

mailbox,

Euros IIRC.

breaking those.

stainless steel too.

correctly ;-)

Thank you Dave, yes I have been reading safety guidance on these things. Google is also a great source of info. It says somewhere that in WW1 it was used as an explosive. Of course any high oxygen level environment is very dangerous. But.. I was thinking about a 2025 youtube video in America, where somebody lights a 2011 *match*, messages all over the place like 'do not do this at home' etc etc... What I am trying to say is that if we stop playing with anything that could be dangerous, then you end up with a populaton of dummies. And the enemies of those will run all over them. It is sort of Obamama wants to get rid of all guns people have, but at the same time he no longer has money to pay the army. The country is up for the taking in such a case. Them high voltages are very dangerous too, and traffic. I have been almost dead many times. But your posting is helpful, it prevents the species from dying of stupidity. Wonder what the dinos died from ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

SEE: Booger picking idiot below. Notice how the evaporated LOX gathers around his pant's legs as he pours it into the grill. One little spark and his pants start burning white hot....and fast. A good formula for third degree burns.

Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

that the glass

stuff.

times."

mailbox,

Euros IIRC.

of breaking those.

stainless steel too.

correctly ;-)

WWII allies experimented with carbon impregnated with LOX - IIRC it was called SBX.

Reply to
David Eather

I always light the grill with a heat gun (the same I use for reworking PCBs). Its not as spectacular like in the film but I do need to keep my arm stretched and the grill is ready for use in less than 5 minutes.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

rried that the glass

ht stuff.

a few times."

e mailbox,

7 Euros IIRC.

rry of breaking those.

stainless steel too.

.

n correctly ;-)

Liquid oxygen soaked charcoal was used as a low-brisance industrial esxplosive at one stage.

Apparently it was first used extensively in the digging of the Simplon Tunnel in 1899

The American delusion that guns in the hands of untrained citizens somehow equates to an effective militia.

An untrained militia doesn't constitute any kind of effective defense, but The US could have a much cheaper and perfectly effective army if they stopped wasting money on developing irrelevant weapons systems to refight WW2.

ity.

Aparently they economised on astronomy, and were surprised by a tolerably massive asteroid that had been in an earth-grazing orbit until its orbit got slightly perturbed.

Apparently the Americans aren't quite that stupid, though the Tea Party Republicans do seem to think that the program is some kind of boon-doggle.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Jul 2011 18:12:00 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

Right,

But they are not really 'untrained', them cowboys grew up shooting coke cans :-)

Yea, maybe anti-anti-ant-anti missiles gets a bit confusing, you never know, you may hit your own.

It would also save a lot of money not to make war everywhere, but to simply bribe the Taliban or whatever to guard the oil... Of course those may ask for Euros....

It is a very strange spectrum, politically. Here is the biggest WW2 enemy, Japan, being asked for money to be spend mostly on US army Japan and China hold most US bonds I think), then US argues with China too.

My personal view is that Obamama has turned (or always was) to the dark side. he looks more and more like the 'Emperor' from the SciFi series. He simply is no fun, no fun is BAD. Anyways if he moves more to the centre then he can run for republican presidential candidate this time. Win win.

:-)

Yea, that is one of the theories. Question remain why the big animals died and the small ones remained, not clear to me in that model. Maybe lack of oxygen? Increase of mass of the earth? Too much gravity and dinos could not get up again. All very interesting stuff.

Republicans like that tea party, just a net to catch discontent voters. Anybody who runs for government with the slogan 'less government' does not make that much sense to me anyways.

Roman empire, the parallels are incredible, the ruins will be their as tourist attraction.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

that the glass

stuff.

times."

mailbox,

Euros IIRC.

of breaking those.

stainless steel too.

correctly ;-)

I knew someone with their own LOX still (used LN2). After he retired non of the liquid air companies would sell him LOX. He did school and university science demos of the flash bang wallop variety.

His trademark was detonating LOX+cotton wool with a red hot iron bar and igniting digestive/rich tea biscuits soaked in LOX.

(snippets only)

The critical thing to remember is that anything that will burn when soaked in LOX is potentially explosive and requires minimal ignition - even a static spark can be enough as the Apollo 1 crew sadly found out.

LOX can be very unforgiving. But it is safe enough if you handle it with respect. In particular avoid having oils and grease anywhere nearby. Some things can spontaneously combust if you are out of luck.

The paramagnetic behaviour of LOX is quite fun too.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown
[snip]

I just turn on the propane and press the igniter button ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I once attended one of Col. Shaw's explosives lectures which amongst many other spectacular things included the detonation of cotton wool soaked in liquid oxygen. He decided to evacuate the first row for this demo - I was in the second row. Some of the burning cotton wool landed right in front of me and burned away the top surface of the wooden desktop. It could have been quite nasty.

He made his liquid oxygen on site before the lecture using liquid nitrogen to liquefy air because he considered it too dangerous to transport.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

There is no BBQ without charcoal.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Wood chips in the smoker tray ;-) ...Jim Thompson

If that scenario unfolds, how many legs do you think the future tourists will have? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

American farm boys, growing up shooting guns and fixing tractors, make surprisingly good soldiers and pilots. The Germans and the Japanese superior-race types were sure surprised, when their huge expected kill ratios were inverted.

on US army

Countries that have lost wars to the USA generally do pretty well.

No, he was always a confused, indecisive, emotionally weird guy who reads a teleprompter fairly well.

I don't think he enjoys being President. I wonder why he ran in the first place.

presidential candidate

to me in that model.

again.

I suppose that Europeans and Russians and Canadians and Asians don't have telescopes, so the entire burden of saving Planet Earth from asteroids falls on the USA.

John

You can't beat the tee-times. The grub in the White House mess is pretty good, I hear. Well, when Michelle is out of town, anyway.

Why should asteroids be any different?

Reply to
krw

--
As does everything else and, for our efforts, we're damned by everyone
who doesn't have their bit in our mouth.

krw

He was gonna be the colored Messiah, and make them all equal by destroying Whitey.

Cheer! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

One actual use for the ISS would be hunting for asteriods and comets that threaten Earth. They could store a mess of interceptor rockets up there, too. So far, the Space Station hasn't accomplished much.

John