Texas power prices briefly soar to $9,000/MWh as heat wave bakes state

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It would work, it's just that the target would always be a toss up somewhere between launch point and max traverse. :-)

No matter what got dialed in as the target.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Whoey Louie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Oh look... ignore the question and point fingers and make retarded assessments and remarks... again. How quaint. NOT.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

es seem to evidence of the kind of cognitive defect that doesn't get detect ed by IQ tests, but is still crippling in real life. Pencil and paper tests do have their weaknesses.

No delusions. ( 1 ) I really did go to Harvard ( 2 ) I have read some of your posts and have a fairly good idea of your intelligence ( 3 ) I m ay not know your net worth, but I know mine plus or minus a million or two and the chances of your being richer is small. Certainly I do not have an y cognitive defect that crippled me in real life.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

One reason the US gave up on this in the early 60s was that ICBMs had advanced so much and were being deployed. Given that they had excellent inertial guidance systems for those to get them to target, seems possible they could have come up with similar for the nuclear powered cruise missile. Certainly in less than a decade from the time the nuclear cruise missile development ended, inertial navigation was going into even commercial aircraft.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

does seem to evidence of the kind of cognitive defect that doesn't get dete cted by IQ tests, but is still crippling in real life. Pencil and paper tes ts do have their weaknesses.

And why would this matter?

r intelligence

You may have read my posts, but you have never responded to them in a way t hat has demonstrated any evidence of technically informed intelligence, and it doesn't strike me as likely that you have comprehended them.

llion or two and the chances of your being richer is small. Certainly I d o not have any cognitive defect that crippled me in real life.

The problem with you estimate of my wealth is that you don't have any evide nce at all. Your original estimate was based on the idea that I lived in a pokey inner city apartment, and you took a while to take on board that it h as harbour views and is worth about as much as your house.

You know even less about my other assets, and if you had any sense you'd gi ve up on the fishing expeditions. Sadly you don't seem to have much sense a t all. See point 2.

As for "not having any cognitive defect that crippled me in real life". How would you know? Lots of stupid people find a place in life where their stu pidity isn't a problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It didn't get all that far. The Global Positioning System trumped it after a few years.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The limited reserve is an example of where the free market fails to provide what is required. There is no commercial incentive to build generating capacity that would only be required during extreme weather events if other capacity becomes unavailable. This is an area where governments have to intervene, and pay for capacity to exist which is only brought online to meet any shortfall while the price is at the market price cap (I'm assuming there is one in this instance, there usually is).

The alternative is that those people who can afford to provide their own backup, and those that can't just suffer during outages, where "suffer" can mean "die" during heatwaves.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

But some realize replying to BS is a waste of time.

Dan Aug 21

Reply to
dcaster

Some people's responses to my posts are a waste of time. If Dan realises that his responses aren't being taken seriously - which they aren't because he couldn't argue his way out of paper bag - he should stop posting them. Trader4 is even more inept.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Your IQ is showing in your response. A high school debate team would tear your post to shreds.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

But you can't. Pity about that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

+1
Reply to
Whoey Louie

Trader4 posting stuff here is a waste of time, independent of who he might think he is responding to. He's even dimmer than Dan.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s that his responses aren't being taken seriously - which they aren't becau se he couldn't argue his way out of paper bag - he should stop posting them . Trader4 is even more inept.

r your post to shreds.

Now that I've had time to think about it, that's the kind of revealing resp onse that shows dim Dan is.

High school debating - and debating in general - is a highly stylised form of argument. One of the conventions is that you can't assert that a proposi tion put forward by your opponents is factually wrong, no matter how nonsen sical it is.

Bank in my university days, my college debating team famously won a debate on the subject that "Australia should move closer to the USA" by arguing on the basis that the entire continent should be physically shifted, which wr ong-footed the opposition to such an extent that they never got going. I di dn't have anything to do with it - our debating team was all lawyers.

Continental drift does mean that Australia is moving north (and slightly ea stwards) at 7cm per years - faster than any other continent - roughly in th e direction of the US. It's got 15,175 km to go (220,000 years if it were moving in the right direction, which it isn't) but I'm not sure that we kne w that back then.

Dan - like Trader4 - seems to enter these kinds of discussions here with th e assumption that his silly ideas about the real world are to be respected, rather than jeered at.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ses that his responses aren't being taken seriously - which they aren't bec ause he couldn't argue his way out of paper bag - he should stop posting th em. Trader4 is even more inept.

ear your post to shreds.

sponse that shows dim Dan is.

m of argument. One of the conventions is that you can't assert that a propo sition put forward by your opponents is factually wrong, no matter how nons ensical it is.

e on the subject that "Australia should move closer to the USA" by arguing on the basis that the entire continent should be physically shifted, which wrong-footed the opposition to such an extent that they never got going. I didn't have anything to do with it - our debating team was all lawyers.

eastwards) at 7cm per years - faster than any other continent - roughly in the direction of the US. It's got 15,175 km to go (220,000 years if it wer e moving in the right direction, which it isn't) but I'm not sure that we k new that back then.

the assumption that his silly ideas about the real world are to be respecte d, rather than jeered at.

Higher IQ , better university, and more money all tend to imply you are dim mer than I. Your posts confirm it. For example one of your posts said tha t GPS had replaced inertial guidance systems. It is obvious to the most ca sual observer that GPS is much too vulnerable to spoofing and jamming to be used for guidance of intercontinental missiles.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

e:

lises that his responses aren't being taken seriously - which they aren't b ecause he couldn't argue his way out of paper bag - he should stop posting them. Trader4 is even more inept.

tear your post to shreds.

response that shows dim Dan is.

orm of argument. One of the conventions is that you can't assert that a pro position put forward by your opponents is factually wrong, no matter how no nsensical it is.

ate on the subject that "Australia should move closer to the USA" by arguin g on the basis that the entire continent should be physically shifted, whic h wrong-footed the opposition to such an extent that they never got going. I didn't have anything to do with it - our debating team was all lawyers.

y eastwards) at 7cm per years - faster than any other continent - roughly i n the direction of the US. It's got 15,175 km to go (220,000 years if it w ere moving in the right direction, which it isn't) but I'm not sure that we knew that back then.

h the assumption that his silly ideas about the real world are to be respec ted, rather than jeered at.

And if Dan's got one, it's wortht even less than I thought.

The thing about Iq

[...]

If Dan were a little brighter, he'd know that IQ tests are cheap and quick substitute for better estimates of whatever intelligence may be. I've alway s done well on them, but don't put any faith at all in the score.

Universities - even picky ones - take a in wide range of students. Dan does n't seem to have been one of the brighter products of his.

Dan thinks he's got more money than I have, but he's got no idea how much I 've got, so it's purely wishful thinking on his part.

Somebody as dim as you - and as prone to self-deception - might think that.

Only to somebody dim enough top miss most of what's going on.

ce systems.

In civil aircraft.

e to spoofing and jamming to be used for guidance of intercontinental missi les.

Perhaps, but I wasn't suggesting that.

Spoofing or jamming the GPS signals for an intercontinental ballistic missi le would be a neat trick - you'd have to know where it was to get the inter fering signals powerful enough to over-power the satellite signals, and int erfering signals that intense would be detectable from quite a way away.

Knocking out the GPS satellites would probably be more feasible, but it's e ven more obvious.

You look more like an under-informed observer, rather than casual one - pos sibly casual to the point of utter inanity.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ote:

ealises that his responses aren't being taken seriously - which they aren't because he couldn't argue his way out of paper bag - he should stop postin g them. Trader4 is even more inept.

ld tear your post to shreds.

[...]

t.

ance systems.

ble to spoofing and jamming to be used for guidance of intercontinental mis siles.

sile would be a neat trick - you'd have to know where it was to get the int erfering signals powerful enough to over-power the satellite signals, and i nterfering signals that intense would be detectable from quite a way away.

even more obvious.

ossibly casual to the point of utter inanity.

It is still a waste of time to reply to Bill's posts.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

e:

e:

[...]

hat.

idance systems.

rable to spoofing and jamming to be used for guidance of intercontinental m issiles.

issile would be a neat trick - you'd have to know where it was to get the i nterfering signals powerful enough to over-power the satellite signals, and interfering signals that intense would be detectable from quite a way away .

's even more obvious.

possibly casual to the point of utter inanity.

It's certainly a waste of time for Dan to reply to my posts - he puts his f oot in his mouth with awesome reliability.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to