Texas Church Shooting

If my choices are armed Central Americans or armed slack-jawed psychopathic white hillbillies like the fetal alcohol syndrome-looking case who did this I'll take my chances with the Central Americans.

Reply to
bitrex

This is an artist's impression of what an average day in the Bible Belt will be like after compulsory carry laws are passed:

Reply to
bitrex

by

here,

I know a number Central Americans and they came to Canada to get away from the violence in their home countries. A large part of the background of that violence was formed by US intervention...

What goes around comes around.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

We get a fraction of the mass killings you do to the south of us.

Canada isn't perfect by any means (2 killings on that chart), but it is a heck of a lot less violent than the USA (with 98)! If it was proportional we would have had 10 incidents. 1/5 the rate based on per capita. I'd say that was a significant statistic to consider.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Looks like responsible gun-ownership to me. What's your point?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Of course you would, until they shot your lilly white ass.

Reply to
krw

If Cursitor Doom thinks that shoot-em-up computer games reflect the activities of responsible gun owners - and his posting history includes many similar bizarre misjudgements - he can't be expected to get the point. Again.

of course, "responsible gun-owner" is an oxymoron.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Another gem in the same vein as "Russia Today is a reliable propaganda-free news source".

Your trolling is becoming too obvious to be effective.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The US Military doesn't conceal weapons. How do you hide a rifle? The standard issue holster for a pistol can't be concealed, either.

Oddly enough, you think that you have a military mind.

Sure. security is armed, but most others jobs are conducive t carrying a weapon.

Moron. Try spending a week or more with an M16 on your back as you do your regular job. Every time an area was on alert, the tiny base I was stationed at in Alaska had us carrying our weapons. Let's see you repair electronics, or do any of the non combat jobs without it getting in your way. It's not like 'Hogan's Heros', where you can get away with leaving your weapon sitting on the floor.

I pulled 20 hour shifts with my M16 on my back as I ran and maintained an AM Radio and VHF TV Station. It was constantly in my way. It required daily cleaning, and it better be in perfect condition when it was turned in.

Why don't you carry your car battery all the time? It would make as much sense.

Weapons are kept in the Armory, where trained experts (Armorers)check them for worn parts and other damage, on a strict PM schedule.

I had the mispleasure of a scheduling change at Ft. Knox forcing me to use a worn out Mattel M16 that had been shipped back from Vietnam for a total rebuild. At the last moment they shortened the training schedule from 8.6 weeks to 6.8 weeks, and moved the start date up almost two weeks during which our barracks, mess hall and weapons were scheduled to be painted, upgraded and repaired. There was no rifling left in the barrel. It was bent, which caused it to fire to the right, and up. I qualified with it, yet the range instructor emptied two magazines without hitting anything.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

That's why I suggested leaving it up to people who know the gun owner. He applies for a license (yeah, I think it's ok to require a license) and the licensing bureau would send a mailing the 100 nearest addresses, and they send back the pre-paid return form with their assesment of their neighbor.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That would probably start disputes that would end in gunfights.

There's no way to reclaim all the legal and illegal guns in the USA. And the Constitution stands. There is some leeway to define "arms"... we can't keep and bear bazookas or bombs or switchblade knives, so it might be reasonable to ban assault and effectively automatic weapons, or big magazines; guns were single-shot when the Constitution was signed. That would reduce the lethality of the occasional mass murder, but wouldn't have any effect on a typical weekend in Chicago.

In 1789, it was barely possible to conceal a gun.

 Click to see the full signature

The same argument could be made for the 1stA and the Internet.

Reply to
tom

Not if it's anonymous. Adam Lanza's neighbors might have stopped his family from buying guns. And they had the right to stop them.

In 1789 AFAIK it was legal for anyone to own a canon, but the cost was a limitation.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The family and friends of the Vegas shoot said that they had no idea that he owned any guns, or that he could do what he did.

Reply to
Michael A Terrell

afaiu it still legal as long as it is muzzle loading

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Australia did a buy-back after the Port Arthur massacre that collected 640,

000 weapons from a population of about 20 million people. It certainly didn 't collect all the guns that it might have, but it did help.

There were small guns - muff pistols - designed to be concealed, that were available back then. Henry Deringer didn't start selling his gun until 1850 , and it did depend on a pin-fire cartridge, which had been invented in the 1830's and considerably improved over the next decade or so.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Tom, I'm not a gun owner, so don't really have a stick in the fire. But I figure we should treat guns similar to cars. It's a deadly tool and if you want to use/ have one you need to be responsible. If you only had to register with the local NRA, or whomever, that would be fine by me. More local would be better. Most of my neighbors own guns, in general that makes me feel safer. (Don, down the road, owns a gun shop that was broken into a few years back.)

Oh and if your're an irresponsible (perhaps drunk) driver, you get your 'right' taken away. Gun owners should be similar. I don't think it will reduce the number of wacko's, but maybe some wacko's will find it harder, and hopefully accidents would go down. In some ways I find accidental gun discharges more tragic. No one wanted to hurt anyone.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Unless a bullet entered a speaker, the sound system amplifier, or the electronic church organ, this post does not belong on sci.electronics.design. Take it to alt.guns, alt.trolls, or alt.assholes.who.cant.post.on.topic.

Reply to
oldschool

No one is forcing you to read this thread. You can go away now.

Reply to
krw

Stop talking electronics in a political group.

Reply to
tom