testing smd capacitors with the chinese clip

testing_smd_capacitors_with_the_chinese_clip_IMG_6997.JPG

The 47 pF SMD reads 45.230 pF, after zeroing the meter with the clip attached, hand free measurements.

The clip

fits nicely with

10 pF also close...

It is the small ones I care about.

The spring in the Chinese alligator clip is very strong, I bended it a bit back to reduce the force on the SMDs. It is not so easy to get the spring out, easy to shift it back in...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

My people use this for receiving inspection, a few parts off each reel.

I found the little fixture on ebay.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's a copy of the HP 16034E, for the 4192A, etc.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On a sunny day (Wed, 12 Jun 2019 15:42:25 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

That is nicely made!

One thing I wonder, had the same idea here, that foam you use, what is the dielectric constant? It gets a bit between the test pins, if you zero with it, and then add the SMD does it cause an error? I forgot to mention that I adjusted the spring in my case so the alligator clip never 100% closes, but just stays a mm or 2 open, and am using a flat table:

That makes zeroing easier, else you'd have to put a something like a match in between the contacts.

It is nice, but there is price difference with my gadget

356$ plus 90$ shipping on ebay:

For production it is cool of course. I just wanted to check if the SMD caps were in the right boxes from my ebay set, after I had some strange effects replacing caps for tuning RF stuff.

That is either a VERY small one or a short?

Yes:

~204 $

:-)

That is a lot of icecream.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is. It's $150 on ebay.

I open the gap by eyeball, about the size of the part, zero the meter, then insert the part.

I think this is the one I bought:

That's the default position, shorted. It's spring loaded in the shorting direction.

If we catch one reel of bad parts, it's paid for itself. Reworking 50 boards would be expensive.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Thu, 13 Jun 2019 07:56:49 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

OK, got it, thought for a moment even smaller SMDs .. :-)

True

Reply to
Jan Panteltje