Testing Mosfets in Parallel

My group has been tasked with designing a test for a board that has ten mosfets in parallel. No jumpering allowed. The designers say that adding jumpers and bus bars make the circuit oscillate.

The first thing I want to test is that all of the parts are actually stuffed with the correct part(this sort of stuff happens to us). Perhaps driving the mosfets into the linear region with a modest load and then measuring their individual temperatures with an array of thermistors.

Any thoughts?

This array is capable of sinking 100 amps and there are two arrays on each board. Building fixtures to test operate them at full load is kind of cost prohibitive.

Thanks much, Ed V.

Reply to
EdV

Sounds like they have no gate resistors. Bad news... edge of oscillation already.

The problem with the linear thing is that current sharing will be poor, so fet temps will be all over the place. You could pulse them at a modest duty cycle, enough to warm them up, and use the new Fluke IR viewer.

Can you probe the board and measure voltage drops in traces? That would tell you if all the fets are conducting, and (approximately) how equally.

John

Or do the magnetic thing, with an array of chip magnetometers at appropriate points.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Why not just test the board functionally, and ignore internals? If the designers made it untestable, that's what they deserve.

John

You could keep your cost down to a couple hundred dollars. Go to your local auto supply store. Buy a truck or car battery and a couple dozen 2.5 ohm 50 watt automobile ballast resistors.

Reply to
kell

Hi John, Tell us more of this Fluke IR viewer, like a part number. Can you measure junction temps? Regards, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Well, there is the Fluke web site. They have a nice looking thermal imager now for $9995 or something, about a third of the price of competing products. I *really* need an excuse to buy one.

John

I assume this is a switched MOSFET design, and not a linear one (if it's linear, send it back to the drawing board, now!).

Folks often overlook the ease of measuring voltage drops along PCB traces if high currents are flowing. So, run your switch at full load current, get out your 5-1/2 digit multimeter set on its 200mV scale, lsb resolution only one thin uV.

Measure away.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

So at 2' you can resolve 0.27" spot size. Your intent is to scan an operating PCB and resolve temps on SMD. Sounds great, let's see some color scans before we buy. Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Either redesign the circuit, or change the installed parts to lateral "audio" MOSFETs, like the Hitachi -> Renesas parts, "Power MOSFETs for General Amplifier" on their website.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hey, Win, clean out your picovolt.com mailbox! I'm getting lots o' bouncing action from it, and eBay will hose your account if that address is the one associated with it. :)

Apologies for the misuse of public bandwidth...

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

It's not, my Harvard email is the one. I thought that was clear. How would anyone even know about my old home email address, which I haven't used in over two years? Yes, I do have the picovolt.com domain, but I long ago stopped using its mailbox, because it became inundated with over 100MB of spam per day! I mean, HELP! So now I struggle with one single spam-blasted mailbox. With all my tools to help fight spam, half of my 300 daily Harvard email messages are correctly determined as spam and shunted aside, leaving me only 75 spam emails per day to hand identify. I then have 75 real messages to address. When I come in to work each weekend... And after a few weeks of vacation, sheesh! Over 5000 messages, and 2500 to study. Anyway, at home I seek some peace. No email for 25 months now. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Ah, that explains it! Thanks; now I have to wonder where I got the picovolt.com address. Probably by taking your eBay handle too literally. I wasn't sure you got my reply on the Turbo option question, which I cc'ed to both harvard.edu and picovolt.com.

Anyway, all six packages shipped out today; let me know if you did not get the tracking # notification from UPS. Sorry for the threadjacking!

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

"John Larkin" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

message

measure

Hey, so I volonteer for you to buy me one :-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Maybe an array of hall effect sensors would work.

Reply to
EdV

Functionally testing the board requires a 200 amp 12 V supply and a 24 KW load which still doesn't really tell you if there is a FET missing or stuffed with something else that is not conducting.

Regarding the "deserve" thing. My performance is rated on how much warranty return I prevent and prettty much nothing else.

Reply to
EdV

Ok, so I only need one for about two hours maybe once every three months. I'll pitch in $1K for 10% usage. Get another nine dependable folk and you get yours free, just have to manage it's whereabouts. Got to see some scans first. Regards, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Even when engineering feeds you a bad or untestable design?

John

Ah. Humor.

John

I hope that 24 KW was a typo.