Reply to
whit3rd

I hate it when schematic capture programs connect wires by reference rather than requiring explicit connections. It gets really ugly across pages. Dumb.

Reply to
krw

We only use official, visible offpage connectors on PCB schematics; PADS doesn't let us do anything else. We can of course still get them wrong.

If I want to force a node to have a net name, I use an offpage even if it doesn't go anywhere else. That lets me see the net name as I'm routing the PCB. The PADS default is to assign a random net name like $$$32751 unless I force a name on it with an offpage.

lunatic fringe electronics

On 2019-04-12 19:20, Don Kuenz wrote: ...> Is BFC an acronym for Band Filter CutOff? Is it the same thing as a

In this case, Big Fat Capacitor. However, says slightly different.

Regards, Arie

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

We only do that, on purpose but I haven't used a schematic entry tool that doesn't treat every signal like a global, even names within busses are treated as global names in every tool I've used.

You can't just name a net? I name *every* net so the name is meaningful when I look at the layout.

Reply to
krw

Maybe it's a setting somewhere, but I can't assign my own net name unless I connect an offpage. I generally like that. Nothing shorts on a page, or across pages, unless it's in plain sight.

If I have a wire that has an off page like RESET or something, and delete the offpage connector, the net changes to $$$34567 or something unique like that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Nah. One of my assistant engineers used to say, if you didn't know what value R and C to pick, use a 10k and a point 01. IIRC, another cap value he reccomended was BFC, which of course is Big F****** Capacitor, just as amdx said. F****** does not mean freakin. And excuse me, we know Elon Musk's BFR did NOT mean Big Falcon Rocket.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I display the net name if there is enough space to do it. I have a naming convention that rarely gets me in trouble but it's a PITA for repeated circuits. It necessarily lengthens names.

But your reset is then disconnected.

Years ago, I had a problem with Capture, where it would connect all unconnected pins with the same name together. That was a real mess. I just don't understand the point of making all names global.

Reply to
krw

Of course. It no longer has an offpage connection.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'm currently working a project that has a fair amount of fast energy storage: an electrolytic about the size of a full grown Thermos.

Manager, showing me the project: "And I'll bet you can guess what we call that." Me: "...BFC?" "BDC. We're polite here."

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Boring.

I had a place that cried to say BFC in the book, but it got the nix. Then Elon Musk came out with it bigtime.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

ssage

ally

't run it. It took a few goes looking over it to notice I'd connected the p ower rails together via 2 base junctions. Oops. A base-ic error.

can't just put a label on a wire? even Kicad can do that

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Here's my resistor exploder. That's a 1000 watt, 1000 amp mosfet.

lunatic fringe electronics

Older versions of PADS Logic allowed that, but it doesn't seem to any more. I really don't mind much. It's safer if possible offpage connections are explicit.

We do a lot of multi-channel stuff, and copy channels in the schematic, and I'd hate to short things accidentally.

I just did that again in LT spice, copied and pasted and shorted nets that had a common name. I'm getting used to looking for that when sims suddenly get weird.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hard, heavy SPC wires would carry that current better than that 4 Oz copper sheet.

One removes the teflon sheath and solders the bare, multistranded silver plated copper wire down to those copper pads. Form rings around a thin rod to make the "solder pads" the capacitor lugs tie to.

Switching in a lithium battery pack (instead of a charged cap bank) makes for a good surge too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I was blowing up resistors, so the 1 oz copperclad worked fine. It's about 500 micro-ohms per square. Easy to work with.

The resistors don't last long.

I needed to vary the voltage and pulse width to control the power vs time dumped into the DUT (Device Under Torture.)

Over-voltaging the caps a bit got me up to 100 joules per shot. BANG.

lunatic fringe electronics

mandag den 15. april 2019 kl. 00.33.32 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

e:

message

t of

usually

ldn't run it. It took a few goes looking over it to notice I'd connected th e power rails together via 2 base junctions. Oops. A base-ic error.

of

if

how do you use busses then?

ime netlabels are usually limited to a sheet unless explicitly set to globa l

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

KaBang!!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I worked on a kilojoule flashtube rig once, for developing Kalvar film. It was basically a shopping cart full of oil caps. It went THOP!

lunatic fringe electronics

I don't like busses. Never use them. Besides, it's rare that the pins on a chip line up in a neat bus-ordered arrangement. We let our layout guy pick pins for best routability.

That sounds like another hidden state to get wrong.

lunatic fringe electronics