Test Fixture Failures

I have a test fixture that has been in use for some 8 years testing thousands of units. It is not a complex unit with a power supply section, an FPGA, an RS-232 level converter chip, two RS-422 receiver/driver chips and various connectors for the UUT and test points. It is powered by a CUI wall wart bought from Digikey.

It has worked very well over this time requiring a replacement of the FPGA only once before, likely because of my fat fingering something. On this last batch of boards the FPGA has been failing regularly. One pin on the FPGA stops reading the signal from the UUT. I have to assume it gets blown up. But I can't see how this could happen. They are using full anti-static protections with conductive flooring, conductive bench tops, conductive chairs, conductive smocks, etc. The idea that static is the problem is equally absurd as it is compelling.

Of course the factory people aren't even very excited about pursuing the possibility it is static related. The last email points out only the tester FPGA gets blown, not the same FPGA on the UUTs. On the UUT these parts are separated by a 5 to 3 volt quickswitch converter because the motherboard in the application system uses 5 volt logic on this interface.

I'm pretty much at a loss to figure out what has changed. We've noticed the markings on one chip on the production boards has different markings, but it is not near the interface, so I don't think this is a problem. Still, I've sent images to the manufacturer asking if either might be counterfeits.

If the FPGA on the test fixture continues to blow, I am going to make a buffer board to isolate at least that one pin. Any suggestions on a good device to use? It needs to be fairly fast. I don't have a requirement for that spec, but I recall this was a tight timing I/O from when I designed the production boards. I don't want to add much delay here.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Den tirsdag den 8. november 2016 kl. 17.38.20 UTC+1 skrev rickman:

maybe not be related but, is it all power powered by the same supply? around here lots of stuff isn't grounded and switching supplys often have the output floating at ~1/2 mains via the Y caps when not grounded so plugging into something that is grounded is an easy way to kill inputs

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Our policy is: never run an FPGA pin to the outside world.

Some older FPGAs also had bizarre power sequencing requirements.

lunatic fringe electronics

What is the basis of the FPGA pin isolation? FPGA pins aren't any more sensitive than other devices normally.

The power seqencing on this FPGA is, "Apply 3.3 volts to Vdd". Not too complex.

This thing has been working for 8 years and has tested thousands of UUTs just over the last year. Obviously, something has changed and I can't figure out what. I thought about the wall wart becoming a problem and will try replacing it. I don't think a CUI device would be cheaply designed or built.

--

Rick C
Reply to

What happens if a pin to the outside world is driven high to 3.3V, before the FPGA is powered up? Possibly the same thing as if you have the FPGA powered up, and drive one of its pins up to 6.6V.

The FPGA may not be more *sensitive* to this than a separate buffer and I/O chip, but it'll probably be more expensive to replace.

Reply to
Dave Platt

What external device would drive the pin on the FPGA? This is a test fixture. The UUT is controlled 100% by the test fixture. Even so, the FPGA is a $10 part... or at least it used to be. It's EOL now and if you only need 1 they aren't so cheap. Still, I've never subscribed to the "protect the FPGA at all costs" approach. It's no different from a $10 MCU to me.

The only external signals are the RS-232 signals which *are* buffered by a level converter.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I wouldn't run a UC's PIO pin to the outside, either. No choice with USB, though.

Reply to
krw

Well, some of the older Xilinx Spartan parts had insanely low ESD protection. While some pedestrian logic chips had 5000 V HBM ratings, I think the Spartan 5V FPGAs were 500 V. So, you had to be pretty careful with anything that touched the FPGA pins.

If there is external RS-232 feeding into the test fixture, does the buffer clamp them to zero V when the fixture is "off"? Possibly those pins are being powered by the external RS-232 device and powering up the buffered signals that connect to the FPGA or other parts. I have several devices that show they are being partially powered by "phantom power" coming in through data lines, when the "main power" is not being supplied.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Xilinx is not on my list of favorite parts. They are popular partly because they are popular. Everyone knows the Xilinx name. But they have never been the best FPGA solution for a lot of applications. Mostly their software sucks, but their hardware also has limitations which are not typically mentioned widely. The I/Os on the Spartan 3 devices were problematic. Xilinx reps admit they didn't get the result they were shooting for, but no one would call it a "problem".

I appreciate that something like this is possible, but it wouldn't be likely to cause damage to a pin the RS-232 chip is connected to, would it? If the RS-232 chip were powered through the I/Os, wouldn't that require the Vcc to the chip to be pulled up? This is one of those chips

power from the I/Os without it leaking back to the Vcc line?

--

Rick C
Reply to

that's putting it mildly isn't it? ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm no fan by any means, but I would use a Xilinx part if it were the best for the job at hand. I was looking at replacements for the EOL Lattice part I am using and the old, but still available Spartan 3A was on the list of considerables as it is one of the few that can still be bought in a 100 pin QFP. Fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) the equipment this board goes into is being obsoleted so I won't have to worry about supply any longer.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Of course Xilinx parts aren't the best solution for a lot of applications. OTOH, they are the best solution for a lot of other applications. They've always been more interested in the top end and similarly, they have no interest in a microscopic company, like you. No big thing, you're just not in their target market.

Reply to
krw

MC1489 won't pass much when off, all its protection diodes are grounded and the only path is through 3.3K and the B-C junctions of three NPNs with emitters grounded.

Jasen Betts