Test BASE64 Encoding - 1 attachment

This is an attempt to transfer zip, pdf, img files on usenet using BASE64.

The problem is the newsnet client may wrap. This makes the file unusable.

Save the attached text file to the folder of your choice using a suitable filename such as b64.txt.

Go to

and upload the file. Decode it to a zip file, then unzip.

You can also encode your own files at

Javascript is required for both urls.

The file is a LTspice ASC file showing how to plot a waveform in Ohms.

begin 644 B64.TXT M545S1$)"44%!04%)04YD>555>DYN%5D6D100S1) M=T9-9G9G=B]$=S1S2W,Y-6U(=DQ72UE,;S!!.'!X34UO

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I think people might be wary of unzipping files of essentially unknown provenance, lest they be seeking to exploit some flaw in the unzip program.

As for LTspice files, people usually just post the ascii text.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

This works fine in my client, but you have to copy the b64.txt from the post to the clipboard, then save from the clipboard to an ASCII editor, then save to your folder.

If you try to save directly from the news client, the file may be hopelessly garbled.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

This whole idea is not very good. It's too complicated and only useful for short files. PDF and image files can be huge.

Seems the best way is to upload the native file to a host, then post the url.

The Test is over.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

It depends on the client. Some will be happy with it. Some clients are perfectly happy with embedded binaries but, of course, it's dangerous as all hell.

Reply to
krw

yer spozed to do that in alt.binaries.schematics.electronics.

not going to break base64 data, but yeah could break an ltspice asc.

not really a good move given the embedded filename.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

ah, the uuencode wraps a file containing base64 data... seems kind of redundant to do that.

Jasen Betts

It's a lot easier for everyone if you put files into Dropbox and post a direct link.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

uuencode "wraps up" whatever data it gets. It has no clue what is contained therein.

Reply to
Long Hair

yeah, he could have uuencoded the zip file, and left the "how to decode" recipe off

Jasen Betts

1Gb
Reply to
Steve Wilson

You lost thousands of files you had uploaded to Dropbox. They are gone forever.

Surely Dropbox stores other files online, else you could not send commands to your cabin in Tahoe, or view webcam pictures.

Why are you paying $10 per month to copy files between computers?

You don't need Dropbox. You could use a LAN to transfer files between computers.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I have never lost a Dropbox file. DB did change the way they do public links, which was annoying, but the files are all still there. I just have to post new links to share them outside. Nothing on my PCs changed. I think too many people were using the free DB as web hosts, so they did something to discourage that.

The change did not affect my main use of DB, which is to do real work at multiple sites without carrying memory sticks around or using FTP, both of which are a lot more hassle than DB.

I just drop command files into a shared folder from anywhere. They appear in the CABIN folder on the little PC in Truckee, and a program executes and then deletes them. Driveway webcam pix get posted into that folder too, and those links are public.

The commercial remote cam/thermostat things didn't appeal to me. Many have a monthly fee that's more than I pay Dropbox.

We're expecting a giant storm any minute, high winds, 20F, and maybe

10" of snow predicted. Sounds like tomorrow would be a good day to ski.

I should get a better cam, something that works from sunlight to moonlight and doesn't get weird at 0 deg F.

Because $10 is so far down in the noise that it doesn't matter. My time and the products matter.

We have a LAN at work.