Tesla problems

Sounds pretty bad. Replacing the drive trains on 25,000 cars, at $20K each, could make a boy genius cranky.

In a bad world I would replace the drive train with the reconditioned previously replaced drive train. :)

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

I signed on a lease on a Chevy Volt over the summer - the dealers were blowing out thr 2015 model. Hybrids are one of the few card it makes financial sense to lease, the MSRP on the top trim line is around 40 but my out the door cost was closer to 30.

It's an incredible car and an absolute pleasure to drive. Even though it's a compact hatchback it feels like a high-performance sports car.

I drive around a thousand miles a month, and on a good week my combined fuel economy is around 115 mpg, I put in about 2 gallons of 91 octane a week. The backup gas engine's tank is about 9 gallons which I don't ever keep more than a third full.

Lots of free Level 2 charging stations in my area. My only wish is that it could charge a bit faster at level 2; the charger controller tops out at 3.3 kW but most Level 2 stations can do 6 on each port. I don't know if this is a limitation of the charging circuit or the battery, it would be nice if that could be upgraded down the road.

The best charger is hills - when going down a big hill at around 45 mph the computer tells me that the regenerative braking system is dumping 40kW into the battery. So yeah, don't know where the bottleneck is.

Off the line, from a dead stop with the pedal to the floor in "sport" mode, the computer tells me the drive motors draw ~115kW.

It feels like about 2/3rds of a Tesla for 1/3rd the price.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

bitrex

so you have ~ 190 HP wehn you floor it? Sounds about average for a good sized 4 banger..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Sure, but at about 300 ft/lbs of torque

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The morons are looking for reliability engineers, they don't seem to understand it will not improve bad engineering.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 12:13:39 -0500, M Philbrook Gave us:

You can't even do your math right. 115kW is only 154 HP, and that is if it all gets delivered to the wheels.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We have a customer who is harassing us about the Five Whys and PFMEAQs and DFMEA and 8D/PDCA and Control Plans and all that quality stuff. Their quality people are indistinguishable from witch doctors. They audited us and their people didn't know what we make or how many we've shipped or how many had failed. I had to get some hardware and show them what we make.

We have zero field failures after millions of unit-hours, so they gave us an "F" on quality.

Quality begins, as you say, in the design.

Hey assole, I am glad you don't work for us!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Zero failures is a tough one to model :-)

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

you need power to accelerate, torque of an engine in it self is meaningless there's a gearbox to match that.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Umm, HP is the rate of Torque....

Martin Riddle

It's shocking to see a car company voluntarily fix an expensive problem. Honda never fixed any of their hybrids. At best, they patched their software to silently stop using the electrical drivetrain when it failed.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:32:20 -0500, Martin Riddle Gave us:

Ooops!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

ess

yes, so without the rate torque is just a number

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

When giving car torque figures, we're always talking torque at the wheels.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 11:49:30 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen Gave us:

On a reciprocating engine, perhaps, but in the world of electric motors it is a huge indicator.

On an engine, it gets delivered as RPM goes up. On a motor, it is typically available through a much wider RPM range.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

em

ngless

definitely not

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Doesn't mean it will cost them 25K * 20K. As they said, it's just a $3 cable tie problem. I have a feeling it's more than that, but less than 20K. The units they pull out earlier will probably goes into later fixes.

Unfortunately, no one outside Tesla can and have seen the part, so no independent verification possible.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I doubt the labor is included in that $3. If the drive train has to be completely dropped, I'm sure labor, alone, will go into the thousands.

Reply to
krw