Tesla Batteries - Page 5

Re: Tesla Batteries
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 1:15:19 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w
rote:

 new expression is born, "What's that got to do with the price of hydro in
Iceland?"

ng

0C
re the temperature of both the ground and underground water at 30 feet is c

https://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooling/EarthTemperatures.htm

  Rick C.

  +--- Get 6 months of free supercharging
  +--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Tesla Batteries
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:16:59 -0800 (PST),

Interesting page.

Unfortunately it doesn't contain data for Alaska. After all, the
Nordic countries are at the same latitude as Alaska. I live at the
same latitude as Anchorage.

Re: Tesla Batteries
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:30:31 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wr
ote:
r 30C
re
nd
 here the temperature of both the ground and underground water at 30 feet i
s constant and only slightly below room temperature year round, 60?
 (15?).

If you examine the map carefully you will see that latitude is not the only
 factor in determining the ground temperature.  Alaska and the Nordic count
ries have very different climates and so are not likely to have much in com
mon regarding ground and water temperatures.  Geography also seems to be a
significant factor.

This page does show useful information for understanding the issues.  I'm s
ure the data is available for any first world country.

  Rick C.

  +--+ Get 6 months of free supercharging
  +--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Tesla Batteries

(It's like reading something from a Victorian-age science book.  Thermal

The climate differences are mainly due to the gulf stream, providing
warmth from the sea.  I am not convinced that this would have a
significant effect on the ground temperatures (but I am certainly no
expert on the topic).  Geography, rock types, tectonic plates, and the
topography of the underground water would make a big difference.

Re: Tesla Batteries
or 30C
ure
und
nd here the temperature of both the ground and underground water at 30 feet
 is constant and only slightly below room temperature year round, 60?
? (15?).

only factor in determining the ground temperature.  Alaska and the Nordic c
ountries have very different climates and so are not likely to have much in
 common regarding ground and water temperatures.  Geography also seems to b
e a significant factor.

There's something we agree on.

Uh, look at the map.  The single most consistent feature in the data is lat
itude.  Why do you think that is?  Because the climate changes with latitud
e maybe?  Same as climate changing with the Gulf stream.  Ergo, ground temp
erature changing with Gulf stream.

  Rick C.

  ++-+ Get 6 months of free supercharging
  ++-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Tesla Batteries

No it isn't. At shallow depths but away from the entrance the cave
temperature is roughly the annual average temperature of its
surroundings. In moderately deep caves the temperature is pretty much
constant year round and gets slowly warmer by about 10C for every
kilometre you go downwards in the UK. Most UK caves are around 50F or
10C once you get away from the entrance. Few are deep enough to see the
depth make a difference but there are mines which go 1km or more
straight down. In Iceland you have to be very careful where you drill.

Ground temperature is also determined by the thickness of the crust and
proximity of recent magma bodies to the surface. Water in Bath and
Harrogate has been running sulphurous and hot 45C from the ground since
before Roman times. The latter built their baths on the site.

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/environment/bath-hot-springs

There is essentially no active vulcanism in the UK today but there are
still some pretty hot rocks not too far from the surface. Close enough
that surface waters can pass through them and get warmed.

Martin Brown

Re: Tesla Batteries

You disagree and then immediately offer proof that you are wrong????  This says exactly what the map is saying.

No one is talking about deep  temperatures.

You just like to talk don't you?  No one said there are not other factors.

So do you have a point?  Why not talk about the Marians trench?

  Rick C.

  ++++ Get 6 months of free supercharging
  ++++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Tesla Batteries
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 10:55:07 +0100, David Brown

I work with aerospace guys who design jet engines in ancient units
like that.

Physisists are sound on units. Yesterday I casually mentioned to a
physisist that some silicone rubber foamy stuff on our board was 8
w/m-k, and he was instantly shocked. He's emailing me to reveal the
supplier.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Tesla Batteries
tirsdag den 15. januar 2019 kl. 19.15.19 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.co
m:

 new expression is born, "What's that got to do with the price of hydro in
Iceland?"

ng

0C
re the temperature of both the ground and underground water at 30 feet is c

I know there is a new office building here that has cooling via circulating

ground water

Re: Tesla Batteries
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:24:53 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

IBM Poughkeepsie used the Hudson River to cool the buildings and
computers in them.

Re: Tesla Batteries
.com:
)
nd
or
  A new expression is born, "What's that got to do with the price of hydro
in Iceland?"
ce
icing
otal
H.
able
as
e.
your
ve
r 30C
re
nd
 here the temperature of both the ground and underground water at 30 feet i
s constant and only slightly below room temperature year round, 60?
 (15?).
ing

I would like to use the lake water here, but I know they have a rule agains
t taking water out of the lake.  I don't know if they would refuse to let m
e drop radiators in the lake for cooling or heating.  I could put them unde
r the dock to stay out of others way and protect them from harm.  I'm not s
ure what the temperature is six or so feet down but in the summer it has to

 the air, so there's a time when you want to switch from heating to cooling
 and vice versa and the water will be lagging enough that it would be prett
y optimal.

I bet this could be made to work pretty easily.  I'll have to look into it
when the current system gets a little older.

  Rick C.

  +-++ Get 6 months of free supercharging
  +-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Tesla Batteries

Iceland doesn't have a cooling problem even in midsummer.  That is
unless there is a red hot lava flow headed straight for a town.

Even in the UK there are at most a handful of days where you might
regret not having aircon. My own house the walls are so thick that it is
possible to manage what summer heat there is merely by opening a couple
of windows overnight and relying on its thermal inertia.

Martin Brown

Re: Tesla Batteries

See, now that is pure BS.  Every office building requires air conditioning in rooms other than on the periphery, even in the dead of winter.

  Rick C.

  ++-- Get 6 months of free supercharging
  ++-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Tesla Batteries

I was talking about *domestic* properties- are you really so thick?

Martin Brown

Re: Tesla Batteries

Buildings only need air conditioning if they are big enough.  In
Iceland, only relatively few buildings are big enough for this to be an
issue, as it is a small country with few people.  And even then, usually
all you need is an air circulation system - it does not have to be cooled.

In the UK, very few houses have any kind of air conditioning - it simply
isn't necessary.  Of course you will have it in bigger buildings, to get
fresher air and control the humidity.  But it will more often pump in
warm air for heating than cold air for cooling.

Re: Tesla Batteries

Where do you get this nonsense?

NT

Re: Tesla Batteries

Actually, I misspoke.  Inner rooms in typical large office buildings *ONLY* require air conditioning.  In other cases *lots* of air conditioning is needed.

  Rick C.

  +++- Get 6 months of free supercharging
  +++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: Tesla Batteries

Mmkay. I've been in many offices without ac.

NT

Re: Tesla Batteries

me too, and here an office needs to have daylight and a view outside so inner rooms are rare

Re: Tesla Batteries

I wish my career had been where you live.  I never had a window except for once where the only office available was a very nice one... that they crammed two cubicles into.

Not sure how you build large buildings without inner offices unless they are like shark fins.  Hospitals have windows for every room, but then they tend to fan out in many directions wasting a lot of ground space.

I guess you live somewhere that they have a lot of ground space to spare.

  Rick C.

  ----- Get 6 months of free supercharging
  ----- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Site Timeline