Temperature of CCFL transformer in laptop?

wrote in news:po65dd$od2$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I used to "watch" my PC's responses to my activities on the best CRT display one could buy. It had a 185MHz video bandwidth. It reproduced colors better than you can imagine.

Was that a cheap brand? And also, they have come many miles in display color reproduction accuracy on today's LED backlit displays. You appear to be one of those guys where your first look at something sets your understanding of it (or lack thereof) in stone.

How quaint.

I replaced the entire supply on my 49" cfl backlit TV years ago, but that was only a monetary reason. A 49" 4K display can be had for well under $500 now. And the color is fantastic. I'll take a new one and the old one can get handed down or put into the man cave etc.

Yep... read above. Folks use electronic keyboards because real pianos are not cheap. Sorry, but it is a modern world. Those of us unable to afford a Tesla only get to buy a 5 mile range scooter from Costco.

But my time is worth more than electrolytic cap replacement sessions or ship-it-back over a color fade claim shit. I'll buy new and move on when it is in the budget and my eyes and my fellow family friends and community members will all feel better for it.

The first CD+G had graphics done in 4-bit CGA colors, but I am not running around still using the format.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

wrote in news:po65dd$od2$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

So. So do I. I am a hoarder. I had ten PCs including an EISA machine and two Alphas and an original 5.25 inch floppy drive from Tandon.

Scopes, analyzers... HV probes... all kinds of gear. Engine building tools... electronics... house framing.

Whoopie. My PC display uses 70W not 160W like yours likely does. And it is a 28" 4K beauty too. I'll take my path... thanks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote

Then why do U use time posting crap here?

I worked in a TV studio for many years, think I know about color. We made color work in this country.

Anyways my Samsung CFL is often used for programming, the burn in in your 4K telly would be sort of funny. :-)

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote

Yea, and then the issue is of course: What do you do with it, show us!

Anybody can say: Mama I have a Ferrari.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

wrote in news:po75hm$3at$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

I posted links to a few of the 3-D CAD developments I did.

They were just elements of a bigger project.

But the thread has been being posted into in hijack mode for a while for the last several days. Where were you?

I never said any such thing.

My current development box, however, is a 17" Lenovo P1 Xeon Quadro P4000 screamer.

It will drive 3 4K displays right out of the box.

My current presentation/mobile/field machine is a 15" Lenovo T480 with an i7 8650 and an NVidia MX 150. Both brand new.

The big guy has Office Pro full version and Acrobat full version and SolidEdge premium design suite.

Siemens' mechanical 3-D CAD package does PCBs now according to their web site. I do not know how robust it is, but I think it is just for simple control and power type stuff. I would be surprised if a firm just now jumping in to the EDA realm might not be robust, but we are talking about Siemens here.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

wrote in news:po75hm$3at$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Funny, I am reasonably certain that is exactly what you just did.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote

I tried to view that in my good old Linux xpdf viewer and got a blank page. then I looked for adobe acrobat and realized it was on some old partition and did no longer run. I also realized that a PiCtUrE of your spaceship or whatever would have done, so moved on.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

There is some "enable" line that starts/stops the inverter with the power on it all the time.

Reply to
Rob

It does have half a dozen wires on the connector. I just don't see what could have wanted it to turn off. The other puzzler is that it always turned back on at exactly the time the power button was pressed to go to hibernate. Yet after reseating the connector this no longer happens. There is no step in the supply voltage when that button is pressed. Weird.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I am using an old Inspiron here myself. The video cable got intermittent where it passes through the hinge so I had to replace it. Common problem on these units I understand. The video would cut out at certain positions of the lid. Not time related though so probably not your problem.

Reply to
Ingvald44

Why throw them away? Unfortunately there are always people with a throw-away mentality who also fail to realize that it is better to invest 20 minutes fixing a machine versus buying a new one and spending half a day installing all the software. Not to mention the dreaded idiocies in Windows 10 that will have to be dealt with such as forced 3h plus "updates". IMO Windows XP was "last known good" and I am using Windows 7 only grudgingly for business. Anything after that, no way.

Yes, I read about that as well. The video was fine in my case because yuo could still see the screen contents using a flashlight. It was only the bakcklight that failed. Well, not anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:g0siupFrremU1 @mid.individual.net:

Bullshit. A new machine gets jobs done faster. And fixing a machine takes longer than twenty minutes as it takes that long to open it up, and then you are going to do live diagnostics on the cfl supply? Bullshit. Unfortunately? No.. for those that do it, it is fotunate... by definition. It is also fortunate for the thrift store my tax deductible donation, and the end user that ends up buying it.

Then there is always the fact that most laptops allow one to attach an external display, and turn the laptop display off completely.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

wrote in news:po75hm$3at$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

So.

I worked at GI. We worked with the content Then we created HDTV. I am pretty sure I know what the color gamut is as well.

Horseshit.. RCA, Zenith, Motorola... There severl HARDWARE folks that "made color work" in this country. You made color available through broadcast hardware alsomade by those same company's engineers.

You are so two decades behind in thinking.

And here is the hard proof of my above remark. My 4K does not have burn in issues, ya dopey doofus.

Oh and I am DecandentLinuxUserNumeroUno. This is just a different machine. Another NEW laptop at 2560 x 1440 on a 15" display. There is no comparison with ANY cfl laptop I EVER owned. The little monster is sweet and faster than a lot of early supercomputers were. My main workstation is faster still, but this one I can move around with.

Reply to
DLUNU

Na, show me a PAL encoder or decoder you designed. Show me a TV circuit diagram you designed.

Show me ANY color TV circuit you designed, or any related code you wrote, including digital TV.

Put a testcard on that 4k set and leave it a few weeks, select grey background if you can, send us a picture.

You never have shown us anything .

You do not even have a camera it seems ;-)

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

wrote in news:podp7t$108u$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Fuck PAL...

Oh and the diversity receivers I built used dual tuners. but f*ck pal anyway. I also built rack mount ruggedized 25" CRTs for use at 70k ft.

Oh... f*ck PAL and f*ck you too.

wrote,

I worked with Woo Paik on HDTV's first hardware bits. He is now the CEO of LG.

You're cutting edge, dipshit... not. I was putting F-4 Phantom high brightness dayligh viewable displays onto $70k steady cam outfits before you even knew what a steady cam was. They do not even use CRTs any more. But I was there at the beginning, even when we made his Gyro stabilizers back before they went to cantilever designs.

I worked on circuits that went up on Space Shuttle Program eperiments.

You are deluded. Even the sucseptible OLED designs take years to discolor. I would bet you money and you would lose.

Nothing about YOU has anything to do with any "US" that exists in this group.

Whatever the f*ck that means.

I have a 14Mp Olympus for macro shots and a GoPro 6. That is my meager top end. I have several other image gathering devices as well.

Whoopie doo. I do not need a camera to post a pdf of a CAD rendering I have done. You have exactly five seconds to catch up with the rest of the world..... Too late... we're done.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Decadent loser wrote

Ah, would be so good if you actually studied the history of TV. It was invented in the: UK.

Then 'merricans found a nice way to add color by using a quadrature modulated carrier superimposed on the BW signal, they called it 'NTSC' (for Never Twice Same Color), and that is where the 'hue control' comes from. Adjust to your taste,

PAL was invented in Germany, and did away with the color errors, also a quadrature modulated system, but with error canceling using a 64 us delay line.

Where I worked all equipment was made in Germany by Fernsehn GMBH and in the Netherlands by Philips. The only exception was the video recording, that was Ampex. A nice system really, quadruplex recorders... But... the first 6 mostly tube based ones were defective about once a day, needed 4 full time engineers for fault finding. The second series was the VR2000 IIRC, those were a bit better, we had 12 IIR, but needed more engineers to keep running. After that things got progressively worse: AVR1 was 'kaput' every morning ('A' stood for 'Automatically kaput perhaps). And now 2 teams were needed, it was decided that it was better to leave those on 24/7 as power on was the most common failure cause.

One modification after the other by the factory. And then it got even worse with head drive amplifiers in new models needing immediate modifications..

Already a sign on the wall about US products, it now culminates in F35,... and a reality show host as leader, still TV! Nothing is real.... The UN was laughing at him. AVR1 was a quarter of a million $ a piece IIRC. Nice technology, had they spend some more time... The German made stuff mostly worked, thousands of units..

We had digital TV (2006) long before the US (2009).

Sorry you cannot use those toy cameras you have so we can see your fascinating designs. 'till that day those treasures will be hidden for humanity.

For worse or for good!

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

wrote in news:pofbol$1m8a$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Fuck you, you imature, retarded piece of shit.

Reply to
DLUNU

wrote in news:pofbol$1m8a$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I know the history, you retarded f*ck.

That does not make PAL some great masterful piece of work, you unmasterful piece of zero knowledge shit.

Ah, it would be so good if presumptuous pieces of shit like you could be put in the dirt where you belong.

Reply to
DLUNU

In fact that scheme for adding colour was also invented in the UK (and a bit earlier). RCA hung onto the US patent on it because the US judge couldn't be persuaded that quadrature modulation was exactly the same as sine and cosine modulation.

My ex-boss at EMI (who is six months younger than I am) got dragged into the legal case early in his career and found it intensely comical.

SECAM was a French way of doing much the same job, in a rather different way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

wrote in news:pofbol$1m8a$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Do you mean that you had it in the consumer home, sure. Years after it was invented, the UK was the first to broadcast or cable feed a version of "digital television". Hardly what ended up being adopted worldwide though eh?

But the making of it.. not so fast. The consortium started with MPEG. You, like Donald J. Trump, may have problems with acronyms, however.

Reply to
DLUNU