Television Reception Problem

We have just been given a TV from some friends of ours, and I am having trouble tuning it in. I can tune the channels in, but there isn't any sound apart from a loud "snowy" noise. The channels are clear and crisp, apart from the sound. The TV was bought in France a few years ago, would this make a difference from UK TV's? I have even tried putting it through my video recorder, but it only makes it much worse. The only way I can get any proper sound is to manually tune the station in until it is almost unwatchable.

Can anyone help???

Reply to
Ian

No - the French TV standard is totally different from ours. It simply won't work unless it is multi-standard. If you can find a menu for this, you need to choose PAL-I.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

He says the channels are 'clear and crisp', which I suppose means coloured pictures. So the set automatically detects PAL (UK and elsewhere in Europe) or SECAM (France). But it doesn't switch from sound carrier at 5.5 MHz to sound carrier at 6 MHz.

Yes, if the is a 'PAL-I' menu setting, that will fix it, but it may be available only in service mode, and how to get into service mode is a dark and deadly secret for most sets. A letter to 'Television' magazine (can be e-mail but NOT phone) may produce a useful response, given time. Please give make and model number, serial number as well if possible.

E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@highburybiz.com

Snail mail: Television & Consumer Electronics Highbury Business Media House Azalea Drive Swanley Kent BR8 8HY United Kingdom

John Woodgate

You are correct John, the picture is perfect, only the sound is awful. There is a menu that allows me to change modes, but PAL I isn't one of them. Service mode sounds interesting, I may have to investigate that avenue. Thanks for yor help. Do you have the email address for Televison magazine?

ian

I presume your options are SECAM and PAL B/G. Is that right?

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

I read in sci.electronics.design that snipped-for-privacy@yellsie.wanadoo.co.uk wrote (in ) about 'Television Reception Problem', on Mon, 7 Mar 2005:

What modes are you offered? There may be a clue there.

snipped-for-privacy@highburybiz.com

Put 'HELP WANTED' in the Subject line, with the model number of the TV.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'Television Reception Problem', on Mon, 7 Mar 2005:

The OP is sending e-mail to a magazine, not an article to a newsgroup!

Do it the way I said!

John Woodgate

I have had a look at this TV last night, and took down all the information from the back of it:-

make is "Goldstar" Model is CL-21N52X

230v-50hz 75W - not quite sure what this means Serial Number is 905MA01734

Not sure if this is French or not, there isn't a SECAM option in the menu, only L or BG, and Cable. It may have been bought over the sea in Europe somewhere, but it isn't an English set. The remote is in English though...

Hope this helps, and I shall also email this magazine. Thank you for your help guys.

Reply to
Ian

Thanks for all your help everyone. Looks like I may have to bin it, and buy one. Shame as it's quite a good telly, even has a "tank" game to play - which does work... I'll wait until I get a reply from the magazine. I'll keep you posted though.

Regards

Reply to
ian

Well, from what you say here, it won't work in the UK. I searched on the number, and everything I got was in French, so I am surprised that there is no SECAM option.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ian wrote (in ) about 'Television Reception Problem', on Tue, 8 Mar 2005:

Supply voltage and power consumption.

Korean.

L implies SECAM.

It's possible that it doesn't have a system I option, but I would have thought that was unusual, unless it's specifically intended to block 'grey import' into UK.

Anyway, see what the magazine turns up.

John Woodgate

Reply to
Michael

Hi guys, just thought i'd update you all on whats happened....I have now managed to run this TV through my partners video player (I had to re-tune her video - since she used to live in a different part of somerset than me). Now works great. Only downside is that we have to have the video on to watch TV, but that's not such a big problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
yellsie