Telephone Spammers

I just experienced a telephone spammer who sent my own telephone number as the CID!

Anyone else experienced that?

Since I use Ooma, I wonder if I can't simply blacklist my own number? I'll ask support. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This sounds interesting..

Martin Riddle

Good link! Thanks, Martin! Similar to my self-made machine that shorts out the line. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Sure, it's when I get notices from my phone provide for deals or alert messages if you don't have the alert app running.

It'll come up as a call from yourself, and usually their maybe a mail box or text message waiting for you.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Fake caller IDs in modern phone scammers will spoof a local number, often that of an existing business.

There's no two-way handshake in telephone calls and the telcos want to keep it that way. As a result, there's zero trustable information at any midpoint or endpoint that can be used to identify a caller.

was nothing more than a self-promoting gimmick from the FTC and FCC at a time when people were looking cut government spending on dysfunctional programs. None of the "winners" have legitimate technology. They're as bad as filtering by the "From" header in an e-mail.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Fake caller IDs in modern phone scammers will spoof a local number, often that of an existing business.

There's no two-way handshake in telephone calls and the telcos want to keep it that way. As a result, there's zero trustable information at any midpoint or endpoint that can be used to identify a caller.

was nothing more than a self-promoting gimmick from the FTC and FCC at a time when people were looking cut government spending on dysfunctional programs. None of the "winners" have legitimate technology. They're as bad as filtering by the "From" header in an e-mail.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

This device seems worth a look as it can learn annoying calls numbers.

asdf

WOW, do computers still have modems ??

Reply to
hamilton

There's still a few floating about - I even have some in the junk box, there's not much worthy salvage in them other than the power jack.

When you get broadband, you most definitely want to get rid of the modem - some infected websites can plant rogue dialer malware that calls premium rate numbers without telling you.

Reply to
Ian Field

I still keep mine for the rare occasion somebody insists I send them an actual FAX. Much easier to send them a PDF, but some outfits are still in the dark ages.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I run into that a lot, so I use MyFax, which sends a PDF to a regular fax machine. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There was a project published somewhere: A bunch of windings round a reed relay and a push make button, to dial out you have to push the button to close the circuit, thereafter the current through the winding holds the reed in.

If you dial into your ISP and then a rogue dialer drops the line to dial a premium rate service, the reed drops out and if you're not holding the button down it can't.

Same goes for sending a fax - you have to hold the button to dial - once you drop the line, you're safe to forget all about it.

The circuit was published just before BB took off in a big way, so quietly fizzled out without much fanfare.

Reply to
Ian Field

There was an article about the phone companies wanting to "get off copper". Make the last mile wireless.

I know that may not happen anytime soon, but what will happen to the security of FAXing ?

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

It might happen sooner that you think. The technology and the demand is there. The question is cost (whether they want to compete with cell data plans). No one is guaranteeing the security of fax over Internet now but there is no reason that wireless can't be made arbitrarily secure.

Reply to
krw

H: +1 (253) 802-3054 H: 253-802-3054

Reply to