Tektronix purchased Keithley, broke my instruments?

Trying to get my Keithley 2600-series SMU instruments to work with my browser and Java, I keep getting an error message,

"Blocked by Content Security Policy An error occurred during a connection to

"

"Firefox prevented this page from loading in this way because the page has a content security policy that disallows it."

I can't find any way to disable blocking. The browser doesn't show that a block even occurred, so I can't add an exception.

Last time I ran these instruments using Java was about when Tektronix purchased Keithley.

I didn't know my local communication process was contacting the factory, and some website. How do the browser and instrument even know about Tektronix? Re-routing Keithley.com?

I have $35k tied up in these instruments!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You might want to try turning off the content security policy in Firefox

to determine whether that's the source of the problem. Ignore the question, just follow the answer.

Clearly, if it works, you then have to figure out a way to use it without compromising the security for other sites, but one step at a time.

As for the redirect, FWIW, an access of a web page at Keithley.com returns a "Moved Permanently" response pointing to

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

You can also try adding the web address to the allow list in the Java console in the control panel.

Martin Riddle

torsdag den 4. juli 2019 kl. 03.45.05 UTC+2 skrev Winfield Hill:

I've had what sounds like similar problems, I think something along these lines

was required

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I get this message: "Java TM SE Runtime Envirnoment (JRE) version 6 or later that may be downloaded on the Keithley Instruments website." Maybe why connection is attempted?

But I have JRE version 8 installed (and running).

Also, the permissions I granted to tek.com and to the IP address of my instrument aren't helping, I still get "An error occurred during a connection to

" and e5tc.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes, Martin also suggested that. Adding

to the Java Control Panel - Exception Site list didn't help.

Maybe my real problem is the web app my browser is running (served by the instrument) isn't recognizing Java running on my system. Could there be a 32-bit / 64-bit issue? In the past, my computer was running 32-bit Windows.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news:qfjlmo01hv7 @drn.newsguy.com:

Big brother looks over your shoulder everywhere. So do companies with hardware.

I used to get schematics with my stereo. Now I get my activity logged, dispatched, and used against me.

Solid Works 'phones home' every time you run it.

Seems they "updated your firmware" from Keithley, and now it wants to hit a tek site, which was apparently poorly constructed.

Very likely they will be getting it fixed. I think they should remove the phone home 'feature'.

I hate "accepting" or "signing" online documents which always allows them to do whatever they want.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Winfield Hill wrote in news:qfkj8702sq0 @drn.newsguy.com:

Sometimes this is an ipv preference thing. It is attempting an IPV6 connection and should not be. Not saying that is what it is, but I had a similar lockout in the past that turned out to be that the IPV use preference started out trying to connect via IPV6 access and getting rejected.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

disable "mixed content warnings" in Firefox, changed security.mixed_content.block_active_content to false. Didn't help the access issue.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) itself won't be supplied by the instrument; the instrument will only supply the Java bytecode that will be executed by /a/ JRE.

There can be, and probably are, multiple versions of the JRE on your machine. In general each JRE will contain its own security manager and security settings. I suspect that is /a/ cause of the puzzlement.

So, it is necessary to find which JRE your browser is invoking when it receives Java bytecode from the instrument. That will be a browser-specific setting; hopefully the setting can be changed!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Win,

I'm running FF version 52.9.0 (32-bit) on Win XP, and FF version 67.0 (32-bit) in Win7.

Neither have any problem connecting to

I removed Java long ago from both systems as a security risk.

Isn't there any other way to run your instruments?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Yes. It's likely to understand SCPI as well, hopefully without needing binary transfers, which I still haven't figured out.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

In most cases, I like to make my own instrumentation. Modern chips have become so powerful, it is often difficult to find an old Tektronix or HP instrument that can match them.

This approach is much more flexible. You can tailor the measurement to the actual need, and change it at any time. You can rarely modify any existing instrument for custom requirements.

This also gets rid of the huge weight and space required, plus the enormous power dissipation that just heats the room.

If needed, you can always repair your own instrumentation. It is time- consuming, and sometimes difficult or impossible to repair old equipment.

The TEK 475 is an example. If the vertical output chip blows, a replacement may be difficult to find. My scopes could go at any time.

More mundane, some equipment has mandantory updates. The internal battery in a memory chip may die and require replacement. I have this problem.

Another issue may be leaking capacitors that corrode the pcb. I found out about this problem after purchasing several instruments that had the problem.

Or the electrolytics may have dried out and need replacement. This can be a massive problem.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I had old HP print servers that did not work with the current versions of Java SE. Had to go back to the recomended version. You should try 6 if that is what it recomends. The latest versions block cross domain fetches.

Martin Riddle

Java archive....

Martin Riddle

I suppose we all do that, to some extent. But I can't easily match the performance of an HP8753D network analyzer, or a Tektronix S-6 sampler, so I'll keep using those for as long as I can. It's not so very long ago that it occurred to me that I could use a DAC and an ADC to control the Tek 7T11 and 7S11 plug-ins, so I now have a 10GHz digital scope/TDR that's almost half a century old. That's hugely better than taking pictures of the screen!

I also hate it when instrument manufacturers try to tie my hands. I'll refuse to buy any new National Instruments, Lecroy or anything running Windows or requiring special opaque driver software for that reason.

Instruments, even of reputable manufacturers, often have weird limitations. The HP8753D, for example, delivers measured data as complex pairs *without* the frequency data. My Tabor WW1071 AWG has gaussian or sinc pulses right way up, but *not* upside-down. The hardware can do it easily enough, but the software botches it. Snarl!

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Thanks!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Have you tried another browser?

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

Did you get this resolved?

When I tried the site I got a pop-up error message about a video that would not play. When I closed that I then could visit the site as expected. Running Firefox on a Mac.

As an alternative, try skipping the index page with the FAQ page:

If you are still unsuccessful try using Opera instead of Google Chrome, etc.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

8753D? That's only 6GHz. I'm sure I have seen detailed instructions for a wideband network analyzer that covers that range. A cheap log amp gives amplitude with a 120 DB range, plus phase information. Output in whatever format you like. It's well within reach to anyone who is used to building their own receivers and who can work with low level signals. That's on my ToDo list.

The S-6 sampler only goes to 11.5 GHz. I can beat that.

In some cases, it's not worth duplicating a cheap instrument. I wouldn't bother trying to make a stud finder. Existing ones are too cheap and work too well.

In other cases, I have no choice. I'm making an ozone fabric sterilizer simply because there are none available that fit my requirements.

So it depends on your particular needs. In most cases, you can build it much, much cheaper that buying it used.

In most cases, you can build it faster than trying to troubleshoot or repair problems the seller didn't bother telling you about. Especially with intermittents.

And heaven help you if you come across an instrument that someone tried to modify. I have an HP3456 that someone tried to modify by tearing out the cooling fan. It runs for a while then shuts down due to overheating. There are no documents that describe the modification. In this case, I'll try replacing the fan. If that doesn't work, I think I'll just buy another and keep this one for spare parts.

Reply to
Steve Wilson