Tektronix 7000 series power supply, sluggish start

It depends on how much of your fingers you actually need.

JeffM

Hmm, yes. I'd have to work on not feeling too dorky wearing something like that, but I suppose a shockingly high heating bill would do so.

My main strategy when I was a single was to spend a lot of time at work, school, or other places where heating and air conditioning were provided to me without incremental cost. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The only fault I ever had with my old 7603 was one of those kemet J hermetic solid tantalum caps that went dead short and brought down one of the dc rails. Took hours to find it, as the cap was located behind the plugin socket frame and difficult to see, never mind access for replacement.

Haven't used it for ages, but some of the plugins, 7s11 / 7t11 sampling etc, can be very usefull and expensive in terms of alternative capability. That and the 246x seires are still some of the most usefull scopes you can have in a lab...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Around the year 2000, after receiving a gas bill for $709 for just one month, we had a wood stove installed. That instantly fixed the problem. Best investment we ever made into the house.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yikes! Though thinking about it, we used to get an oil delivery (225gal, or so) every three weeks. Our largest electric bill this Winter was $175. The smallest is around $100, so $75 for heat isn't too bad. :-)

Reply to
krw

Almost 300 gals/mo? At today's prices that could set you back the same amount.

In much of California electricity is mega-out for anything other than lighting and stuff. Unless they get special deals new owners of electric cars may be in for a rude awakening. Once you exceed a paltry baseline quantity of kWh the price skyrockets. Which is also rather business hostile because a li'l garage start-up shop might send the electric bill right through the roof.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Which is why Intel is expanding here (Ocotillo Campus) and shrinking in Californica. ...Jim Thompson

The Folsom campus 10 miles from here isn't shrinking AFAIK.

But Chandler sure is something special. I was visiting a company there and right behind the building was a rather massive runway. We have that as well, a few hundred feet from the house. But building something like that in CA today is something I can't imagine right now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

10-15 minutes from my place. Next time you come, let me know and we'll sip a few. ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, that's why I did the double-think. ;-)

$.08/kWh, top to bottom. Coal is beautiful!

Reply to
krw

Yep, no more Hewlett-Packard garages in California.

tm

Reply to
tm

We'll take 'em. Toyatas, Kias, and Benz's, too.

Reply to
krw

It'll be all agricultural. Fruits and Nuts!

tm

Reply to
tm

Will do. Last time I was on a tour with a client engineer, with back-to-back meetings and every night in a different state.

But your 10-15 minutes is probably at 90mph :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Even crappy Microsoft Streets and Maps says 15 minutes...

Time Mile Instruction

9:00 AM 0.0 Depart Stellar Airpark 9:00 AM 0.2 Turn LEFT (West) onto W Chandler Blvd 0.8 mi 9:02 AM 1.0 Keep STRAIGHT onto (W) Chandler Blvd 5.6 mi 9:09 AM 6.6 Keep LEFT onto Local road(s) 142 yds 9:10 AM 6.7 Bear LEFT (West) onto E Chandler Blvd 2.0 mi 9:14 AM 8.7 Turn LEFT (South-West) onto S Marketplace SW 0.2 mi 9:15 AM 8.9 Turn RIGHT (West) onto E Cathedral Rock Dr 174 yds 9:15 AM 9.0 Arrive Thompson's Place [824 E Cathedral Rock Dr SUMMARY Driving distance: 9.0 miles Trip duration: 15 minutes Driving time: 15 minutes ...Jim Thompson

Wow, that is closer than I thought. Somehow I was under the impression you live north of Phoenix. So next time I'll call you :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Great! I look forward to meeting you!

Pre-'94 we lived north of Phoenix... for 25 years... I avoid moving ;-)

We built this house because the kids were all grown and the old ranch (literally) was all bedrooms and little entertainment space.

This house is about 20% larger, still has ~180 sq.ft. secondary bedrooms (3), and the master suite is approximately 60' x 20' (whole east side of the house), still leaving a 22' x 22' Great Room and a dining room large enough to manage a 10' granite table :-)

16' ceilings (flat, not cathedral) make it look even larger.

And the "little" kitchen :-)

...Jim Thompson

Hmm... do the kids or grandkids get the job of dusting off all the stuff on the ledges surrounding the kitchen there? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Naaaah! Periodically I go up the ladder myself and vacuum the shelf.

(Our "kids" are middle-aged... 41, 46, & 49 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Be careful up there... my grandfather fell off a ladder while trimming a banana tree, and it turned out to be the last full day he spent at home (long story, but after the hospital to treat injuries from the fall, he ended up in a nursing home and died about a year later... although he was roughly a decade your senior at that point...)

Hmm, grandkids then!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner