Tek 475 trace/probe problem

Hi Guys, I recently acquired a Tektronix 475 scope. While testing it with the internal squarewave calibrator I noted the trace was wide, I tried the second probe, same thing. Then I happened set the probe cable across the top of the scope, when I did that the trace got thin or more normal. I tried a third probe it is better but the trace width varies somewhat depending where the probe is positioned, any ideas?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Wide??? As in horizontal width on screen? As in thickness of the green line? As on RF pickup? It's a sensitive scope with wide bandwidth.

Reply to
mike

Mikek

No.

Yes.

Don't know the cause, trace width Ok with no probe attached.

Yes, pulling bandwidth limiter to 20Mhz solves the problem.

Here's a photo of calibrator output.

Here's a photo of calibrator output with probe cable laid across top of scope case.

Note difference in trace width.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

What is your vertical sensitivity setting?

Try connecting your ground lead to the probe tip and move the probe around. You may have some pickup from a florescent lamp or something.

Reply to
John S

Calibrator output is 300mv P to P. Scope is set to 10mv scale with a X10 probe.

Connecting ground lead to tip, the trace looks OK. Moving it around doesn't change trace.

My probes are B&K PR-45. I thought these were 35Mhz bandwidth, but a quick search yielded no reference, so now I'm not sure. I'll search more later, gotta leave for work.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Do you see this on both input channels?

The two pics you posted show that the voltage amplitude is not the same with probe position (assuming you did not change vertical sensitivity). You might have an open input on channel 1. Otherwise, you may have some open probes.

Reply to
John S

I'll check the other channel this evening. I suspect I did change amplitude between pictures. BTW, the scope has a 20Mhz bandwidth limiter and that does get rid of the wide trace. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Perhaps an internal broken ground to the input connector? Laying the probe on top would capacitivly couple the probe shield to that ground. Art

Reply to
Artemus

It has the same problem on both channels. It's late so I'll do some more checking in the morning. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

could be RF pickup.

are you located near any AM FM TV or other kind for RF high power transmitter?

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Okay. It sure looks like a signal getting in somewhere. Probably via the probe based on your reports.

What is confusing is that the probe calibration source must be a very high impedance (if your probe is good) to have this kind of interference. You still had the probe attached to the calibrator when you laid the probe across the top of the instrument, yes?

The 20MHz filter is telling you that you have an HF signal getting in somewhere, I think. Try moving the scope to some other place and see if the problem follows. Turn off your lights and anything else while experimenting with tracing the source.

With the probe not shorted and not connected to your calibrator, move it all around the area and watch the amplitude. Maybe it will lead you to a source.

I have a florescent desk lamp that must be turned off for sensitive measurements.

Reply to
John S

I think it's probably just a cheap probe picking something up. For anything to be wrong with the scope I think it would have to be some wierd ass grounding problem.

Reply to
jurb6006

Assume you've done obvious stuff, like verify continuity between the connector and the ground wire at the probe end?

Some probes and some scope inputs have resistance in the ground lead. If you put current into the ground, it blows the resistor and the ground is no more.

Have you tried to trigger the scope on the noise?

I noticed ambient noise went way up when I switched from incandescent to CFL lighting.

Reply to
mike

Yes, the probe was attached to the calibrator. The calibrator is low impedance, 300mv at 30ma.

There is not much turned on around my bench, but I understand your point. I have two CFLs that both create noise at about 45khz, but they are of.

I used delayed sweep to zero in on the noise, it is about approximately 1Mhz. I used a 4ft piece of coax with a BNC connector on one end, the other end I frayed about two inches of the shield out as a ground plane with the center condutor as the vertical. It picked up the CFLs fine but I don't see the 1Mhz. I'll take the scope on a road trip and see what happens.

BTW, I received a P6136 350Mhz probe yesterday, It has the same noise problem. Also, My Tektronix 2465 scope at the same position does NOT have this noise problem.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Well it is a B&K probe, but I have two of those and a third other brand, and yesterday I received a P6136 Tektronix probe that has the shows the same noise when I attached it.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I'm not, But I'm taking the scope on a road trip shortly to see if I'm getting away from a noise source.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I've tried four different probes, plus they all work fine on another scope.

I haven't, I can try but I think the amplitude is to low. I did use delayed sweep and it is roughly 1 Mhz.

Yes, I have two CFLs that sing at about 45khz.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I have a squarewave from the calibrator displayed. It has noise. I measured the frequency of the noise, it is about 110Mhz. I took the scope to another location, it had the same problem. Here again, is a picture of the noise.

This happens on both channels, both probes.

I also notice something else, and this again happens on both channels, both probes. I have the probe tip connected to the ground of Channel 2 the BNC connector ground. On the screen note the 110Mhz signal.

Increasing the timebase for a longer time period, you can see the signal has some modulation. The modulation is unchanging.

Any Ideas?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

110MHz is either top of the FM band (modulation would be multipath, but wouldn't be modulated that fast) or bottom of the aviation band (specifically, radionav at 108-118; comms are 118-137). Got any stations nearby?

Try ferrite beads on the probe cable, as near the scope as possible.

If you're concerned that it's from the scope, try taking off the cover and probing around in air with the probe tip, see if you can find something squealing. If you're concerned that it's something else, attach a loop antenna to a long enough BNC cable and probe around your area.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Ask on the Yahoo Tekscopes group:

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell