TCA0372 (or other)

So I did this today... Break point amp as an OK square root, for resistor heater.

So this is inside a thermal loop, for which I must pick a gain and integral time. After some math I started with this circuit. A gain of 6 from 0-2 Vin and 2 from

2-8 Vin. (Vout = C*sqrt (Vin), Vout max is 24, I picked Vin max as 8, C ~8.5 and yeah the units don't match so C has units of V^1/2) |\ Vin---|+\ | >---+- heater resistor to ground .--|-/ | | |/ | | | +-R1(10k)-+---+ | | +-R2 2.5k-|>Z-+ | D1 R3 2k | Gnd

D1 is about a 10V zener. I had a 9.1 zener and pn diode in series. (9.1 was my biggest zener till 20V.) (opamp is the TCA0372)

It was OK, but the step response gets whimpy at low power (voltage)

So I did one with a gain of 8.5 from 0-1 and a break point at 8.5. (7.5 Volt zener) and then a gain of ~2.4.. (16.5/7), from 1 to 8.

Which was better at the low end... I should post themal step resonses.

I should do a 1/2 volt one too. ~ 6 V break pint.. unless my math is beer influenced. :^)

Hey if anyone knows of a paper... certainly someone did this in the ~80's. (speff?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks for the tip. I am actually going to use those ICs for a design, they fit my purpose perfectly. the price is really nice, I am going to order ex tra. Seventy seven cents ? And then 63.8 (IIRC) by tens ? Oh definitely, th ese will replace a shitload of different similar chips.

I might take 100 of them. But I am only using them in one new design, the r est will be replacements for almost anything not frequency critical or what ever, that needs a little more output current. Like some power supplies, sh it like that. I am using them for PWM to drive bipolars at about 30KHz. The y are surely good enough for that, and they got enough current to directly drive high current outputs.

I think they saved me about ten bucks. Thanks. That is a six pack of half d ecent beer.

Reply to
jurb6006

It's an amazing opamp for 50 cents in quantity. One dual can do an h-bridge.

What's your idea of decent beer? We just got back from a BevMo run for the stuff we can't get at Safeway. Guinness Blonde, Harp, Purple Haze, Fat Tire, Asahi Dry. Mo's little Honda Fit could barely lug it all up the hill.

lunatic fringe electronics

Why not just connect resistor 139-B to the lower amp's inverting input junction, and 139-A to the virtual ground, then you don't have to match nothin'.

Reply to
bitrex

That would work, with a bit more phase shift and distortion maybe. Doesn't matter much.

lunatic fringe electronics

hey fit my purpose perfectly. the price is really nice, I am going to order extra. Seventy seven cents ? And then 63.8 (IIRC) by tens ? Oh definitely, these will replace a shitload of different similar chips.

e rest will be replacements for almost anything not frequency critical or w hatever, that needs a little more output current. Like some power supplies, shit like that. I am using them for PWM to drive bipolars at about 30KHz. They are surely good enough for that, and they got enough current to direct ly drive high current outputs.

f decent beer.

you need an upgrade

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's sort of like an LM386 8 pin power amp but a device that's actually an op amp instead of simply a power amp with a selectable gain and internally grounded inputs like the '386.

The '386 can be pressed into service doing power op amp-like tasks, they build a power Wein bridge circuit in the datasheet using it in an op amp-like way, but it does them all very grudgingly and with much compromise

Reply to
bitrex

What we need is a beer truck.

lunatic fringe electronics

So it can follow you around town?

Reply to
John S

What's the p/n for that transformer?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Triad TY-146P.

We wanted 32 volts RMS out, using a 24 volt wall-wart. I designed a custom transformer with the right turns ratio, but that got to be an expensive hassle. It was easier to use the Triads and boost-convert the supply up to 32.

The board is HEAVY. If you pick it up carelessly, all the transformer pins mangle your fingers.

I think the lowpass filter is cute. It's Spice fiddled, theory-free. The opamps only have 1 MHz gbw, so it made sense to put some of the gain in the filter.

lunatic fringe electronics

"The Kid" just got a job driving one. I'll see could he take it home at night maybe.

Reply to
jurb6006

If this amp is driving an inductive load, like a synchro maybe, all the power dissipation is necessarily in the opamps, and depends only on the RMS output current. It's independent of amplitude (past zero, of course.)

The power dissipation waveforms are interesting.

Inductive loads push opamps into embarassing quadrants.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com