Tape and reel- double density?

Hi, all:-

Just prototyping a board with some SMT 0603 LEDs (L296 series) and I noticed the OSRAM LEDs were supplied on the usual 8mm tape, but with double density (two LEDs for every linear sprocket hole).

Is this going to cause problems with older SMT equipment?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, older machines, like my Philips CSM84, have feeders set up for a minimum 4mm component spacing. If you run these parts on them, 50% of the parts will end up on the floor.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks, Jon!

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Order them to the old spec. If they cannot supply them find someone else. Or give you half price.

The only thing that talks in business is money.

Reply to
jurb6006

There are SO MANY choices in LEDs, these days, you can find almost anything. One other issue I ran into is the round-top LEDs don't pick up well with standard P&P nozzles. I have an old-school machine (Philips CSM84) and had really bad pick up problems with 0603 LEDs. I moved up to 0805 flat-top LEDs, which fit the 0603 PCB footprint fairly well, and rarely have pick-up problems with those. So, it all depends on the machine it will be run on. So, check with your contract manufacturer to make sure whatever you design into the board can be placed by their equipment.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I've got some pink 0603 ones on order.