Tales of future past: the bluray BD-RE (rewritable) for data storage

I use bluray BD-RE (rewritable) for data storage, where data storage of course includes multimedia, and software.

Whenever you look at 'how it is done' you see the ISO9660 filesystem. I do not particularly like that filesystem, all its changes over time, its structure etc. I have hundreds of normal DVDs with ISO9660 data made with mkisofs program.

Linux has many good filesystems, so why should I use ISO9660?

On normal DVD+R if I have a movie (recorded from satellite for example), I just burn it as image: growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=movie.ts

And then you can get it back to disk later with: cp /dev/dvd ./movie.ts

So far so good, no authoring crap needed.

But with the the blurays 25 GB minimum size, one can have more than 1 movie, so we need some filesystem.

This will show you how to create a reiser filesystem on a bluray .iso (image) file, add files to it until it is full, and then burn it to a bluray disk.

It should work with ANY other Linux filesystem, ext2 ext3, whatever too, just change the relevant line.

Although it will not play in one of those Hollywood crippled bluray boxes that you connect to a TV with HDMI, it will mount in Linux, if it has a bluray player.

# For a 25 GB size BD-RE # create a disk image dd if=/dev/zero bs=1000000000 count=25 > bluray.iso

# create a filesystem (reiserfs here), use mke2fs for ext2, etc, avoid any Microsoft copyrighted stuff, FREEDOM! mkreiserfs -f bluray.iso

# mount the image mount -o loop=/dev/loop0 bluray.iso /mnt/loop

# copy all files in current directory to the image (recursive -r should work too) cp -p * /mnt/loop/

# unmount the image umount /dev/loop0

# burn the image growisofs -overburn -Z /dev/dvd=bluray.iso

# verify the burned disk against the image dvdimagecmp -a bluray.iso -b /dev/dvd #>count=24219779072 (24219.78MB), speed=218104kbps (19.EOF found in file2 at

24220008448 #>Ready, 24220008448 bytes read, 0 errors found, 0 defective blocks # Strange Mr Verbatim, it says 25 GB on the box?

# store disk

# days pass, weeks, years, store disks in a DARK!!!!!!!! place (I use alu case).

# get it back, and mount it again: mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd #>/dev/sr0 24413308 23322696 1090612 96% /mnt/dvd

# let's see: mount #>/dev/sr0 on /mnt/dvd type reiserfs (rw)

# go there cd /mnt/dvd

# all your files are here ls -rtla #>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5211180836 Jul 15 02:09 cant_tel_ye.ts #>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6474147352 Jul 20 22:48 oops_hollywood_sucks.ts #>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3493260336 Jul 22 00:30 not_at_total_secret.ts #>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4788239868 Jul 24 15:30 the_end_of_hollywood.ts #>drwxr-xr-x 27 root root 680 Aug 26 20:27 ../ #>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3858276316 Aug 27 11:58 a3_hd_with_sound.avi

# How much data we have? /mnt/dvd # du #>23289428

# Hey fun!

F*CK you Hollywood. I won't buy one of your stinking crippled boxes. I won't use your dictated filesystems Keep your bloat

FAQ: This is all based on the fact that in Unix everything is a file. Even a filesystem can be o na file.

mkisofs? Where is it? No need for it whatsoever. Rockridge? Joliet? file size limitations? Copyrights? No

So how do I play these saved files on my TeaFee? Insert USB stcik mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/sdd1 cp /mnt/dvd/the_end_of_hollywood.ts /mnt/sdd1/ umount /dev/sdd1

Stick in my Samsung 3D TV select media play play.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, idiot, you do not. You need to make a mastering session and you write MORE THAN ONE MOVIE FILE to the disc. So your old method doesn't work because it was for a SINGLE session only, IDIOT!

If you want multiple movies on one disc, then YOU have to CONVERT the film into a FILE, so that you can burn more than one FILE to the disc in an authoring session (burn).

You are beyond stupid.

We do not "need some file system". YOU need to learn what is going on with the ones we have, you clueless bastard.

Wew KNOW that will NOT happen though, because you cannot even keep together what GROUP to post your stupid PERSONAL PROBLEMS to.

100% OPERATOR ERROR. That is what you describe.
Reply to
MrTallyman

Someone should find you and beat the living f*ck out of you.

Reply to
MrTallyman

So much hate. It's bad for you.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

structure etc.

AIUI you should use UDF or writable optical media if you want it to behave like an ordinary disk.

because optical media dosn't allow block-level addressing for rewriting you can't use an ordinary disk filesystem.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (28 Aug 2012 07:53:43 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

structure etc.

When working on the loop device all issues about what optical media can and cannot do are moot. You write the whole thing in one piece as an image. Again and again and again if must be.

The ISO9660 crap came from having to play on crappy small DVD players with a decoder chip that had a very small hardware buffer. Normal filesystems require position changes of the optical pickup (seek), and those take time. The seek times were to be kept at a minimum to accommodate those small hardware buffers. Old CDs were even worse, 'track at once','disk at once' modes, no seeks, as no real memory. All that does not apply in Linux with sufficient buffering, and these days most of them crippled BD players even run Linux! I found an LG BD player that in the user manual refers to open source and Linux, my Samsung TV runs Linux, My Humax cable receiver runs Linux, my Linksys Wifi access point runs Linux, So, I guess the buffering is done in a real RAM chip somewhere in those cases.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

time, its structure etc.

program.

with a decoder chip

(seek), and those take time.

hardware buffers.

as no real memory.

days most of them crippled

and Linux,

cases.

I so very like the idea of a BD recorder/rewriter that is hackable. Manufacturers trying to save money are going to be the end of Hellywood.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I hate freeloaders. Especially when they piss and moan like a little girl, all the while claiming to be knowledgeable.

He even got that wrong, the totally clueless f*ck he is. So, FUD broke that camel's back.

Then he wants to bark off about stealing content? Fuck him.

There is no hate, there is pure observation.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Did you think winners RAGE like that?

He's got a brain disorder called Aspergers Syndrome and one of his comorbidities is personality disorder, for starters.

Aspies don't all turn to the dark side, but Nymbecile sure did.

I bet his Mommy is proud of the RAGING little bastard.

Reply to
Greegor

From the growisofs man page:

"growisofs needs at least mkisofs version 1.14, version 2.0 is required for multi-session write-once recordings."

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:33:47 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Well, I do not need 'multi-session write-once' recordings. Neither does any sane person I think. Just work on the loop device, as I explained, and burn the whole thing to disk at night (for example). No speed problem. And no need for ISO9660. Actually dd if=xxx.image of=/dev/dvd works just fine too, but may be a bit slower. You know, few days ago I did put reiserfs (as described) on a BD-RE, just mounted it, changed to its directory, and edited a new file. It then behaves just like a normal filesystem. WITHOUT ANY OTHER PROGRAM TO WRITE THE DATA.

start: panteltje: ~ # mount /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime) proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) /dev/sda2 on /mnt/sda2 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/sda3 on /mnt/sda3 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/sda5 on /mnt/sda5 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type reiserfs (rw) /dev/sdd1 on /mnt/sdd1 type ext3 (rw) /dev/sr0 on /mnt/dvd type reiserfs (rw) panteltje: ~ # cd /mnt/dvd panteltje: /mnt/dvd # l total 9353953

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2056190468 Aug 26 12:43 you_dont_need_no_iso9660-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3858276316 Aug 27 14:49 0bama_was_born_in_kenia-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3654634030 Aug 28 08:40 get-a-clue-or-2-hd.avi panteltje: /mnt/dvd # echo hello > q1 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # l total 9353957

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2056190468 Aug 26 12:43 you_dont_need_no_iso9660-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3858276316 Aug 27 14:49 0bama_was_born_in_kenia-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3654634030 Aug 28 08:40 get-a-clue-or-2-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6 Aug 30 20:29 q1 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # cat q1 hello panteltje: /mnt/dvd # echo "no need for growisofs" > q1 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # l total 9353957

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2056190468 Aug 26 12:43 you_dont_need_no_iso9660-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3858276316 Aug 27 14:49 0bama_was_born_in_kenia-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3654634030 Aug 28 08:40 get-a-clue-or-2-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22 Aug 30 20:30 q1 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # cat q1 no need for growisofs panteltje: /mnt/dvd # echo hi Fred > q2 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # cat q2 hi Fred panteltje: /mnt/dvd # l total 9353961

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2056190468 Aug 26 12:43 you_dont_need_no_iso9660-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3858276316 Aug 27 14:49 0bama_was_born_in_kenia-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3654634030 Aug 28 08:40 get-a-clue-or-2-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22 Aug 30 20:30 q1

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8 Aug 30 20:31 q2 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # rm q1 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # l total 9353957

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2056190468 Aug 26 12:43 you_dont_need_no_iso9660-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3858276316 Aug 27 14:49 0bama_was_born_in_kenia-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3654634030 Aug 28 08:40 get-a-clue-or-2-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8 Aug 30 20:31 q2 panteltje: /mnt/dvd # rm q2 l panteltje: /mnt/dvd # l total 9353953

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2056190468 Aug 26 12:43 you_dont_need_no_iso9660-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3858276316 Aug 27 14:49 0bama_was_born_in_kenia-hd.avi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3654634030 Aug 28 08:40 get-a-clue-or-2-hd.avi panteltje: /mnt/dvd # cd panteltje: ~ # umount /dev/dvd bluray.iso

# create a filesystem (reiserfs here), use mke2fs for ext2, etc, avoid any Microsoft copyrighted stuff, FREEDOM! mkreiserfs -f bluray.iso

# mount the image mount -o loop=/dev/loop0 bluray.iso /mnt/loop

# copy all files in current directory to the image (recursive -r should work too) cp -p * /mnt/loop/

cd /mnt/loop # do anything you want on the loop device at full speed.

# when ready unmount the image umount /dev/loop0

# burn the image overnight or whenever growisofs -overburn -Z /dev/dvd=bluray.iso

# next day you find you can just mount the DB-RE and add files to it and delete files from it in any order, # etc etc, but really: work on the loop device, it is so much simpler. goto start;

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You missed the point:

*If you're using growisofs, you're using mkisofs.*

It's all academic to me, since I don't write DVDs, or do anything at all with Blu-Ray (damn Sony to hell!).

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:40:01 -0700) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

I think not, growisofs CAN call mkisofs with some command line parameters. In reality, here is the essence of a script I use to burn a directory to DVD+R, using growisofs. echo "making dvd image of directory "$1"" #mkisofs -J -r -o /video/dvd_images/dvd_image "$1" $MKISOFS $MKIFLAGS "$1" > $IMAGEDIR/dvd_image growisofs -speed 3 -Z /dev/dvd=$IMAGEDIR/dvd_image

You see I call mkisofs first to make an image, then growisofs to burn it to disk. growisofs then normally call 'dd' and it even reports that on the command line.

This is from man mkisofs: Functional description mkisofs takes a snapshot of a given directory tree, and generates a binary image which will correspond to an ISO-9660 or Joliet/HFS/UDF filesystem when written to a block device. POINT.

More: Note that mkisofs is not designed to communicate with writers for optical media directly. Most writers have proprietary command sets which vary from one manufacturer to another, and you need a specialized tool like cdrecord to actually burn the disk. POINT. 'like cdrecord' that this guy himself wrote, OR for example growisofs that I use.

Well, I have video, right now 3 cores fully loaded, deep into the night rendering .. space space space. Sure you can buy a 1TB external disk, I have dropped a HD, it died, I have dropped plenty of optical disks, and they lived. It is also nice to have your Linux system (one of many) backup on both magnetic and optical media. The whole essence of storing optical media is very very simple: IN THE DARK. A X watt laser for 100nS, or a a X/t light source for t * 100n seconds.... will both burn the disk! I had some killed in hours laying in front of the TV in a box by direct sunlight, layer took on funny colors too.

So I store them in a 1000 piece alu box (huge), and have now a small alu box next to the TV. Something like this, but then bigger:

You want the vertical storage ones:

Some have been in the box for >10 years and those still are 100% error free. Temperature and humidity does not seem to make that much difference, has been freezing, and has been > 30 C.

Bluray is not [only] Sony, just like CD is no longer only Philips.

How ever you slice it, there is in my view no need for UDF, ISO etc filesystems AS LONG AS you do not use Hollywood's crippled bluray movie boxes, alias bluray players. I can use good Linux filesystems and get away with it and ply in full HD 3D on a modern TV. And that does away with the HDMI trap too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

a modern TV.

My bet is that you know nothing of the difference between a full resolution BR disc player output, and the pathetic compilation that gets shot up to your display from your PC.

The video AND the sound BOTH are far better out of the player than ANYTHING you ever thought was "full HD 3D".

It is more than obvious that you are oblivious to what is missing from BR rips. It is NOT the same level of "high resolution A/V data". You having that disconnect going is yet another tell about how little you really know about the world.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Why bother with loop? Just write the files to disk ant tar them (into a pipe) when you want to write...

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (1 Sep 2012 11:20:46 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

Yes you can do that, I have actually done that. But working on the loop devive, and then burning that file to disk will at least warn you when the file is full. It is all data, and I am sure there are a zillion ways to do it. You can encrypt your tar too. In fact the Linux backups I use are all tarred from an other partition, you cannot tar a live linux system.

I ran some interesting test today stopping a file transfer as I got question about buffer underruns and burnfree in an other group, here is an extract from my reply to that:

Ok, some follow up, this is how it seems to go here. To *format* the BD-RE you need growisofs or cdrecord, But once formatted, you can just put in the disk and make a filesystem on it: mkreiserfs /dev/dvd

Mount it: mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd

And then I copied a 4363448494 bytes (4.36 GB) file to that BD-RE with dd: dd if=/mnt/sda1/video/movies/avi-hd/0bamas-birth-in-kenia-hd.avi | pv -n -s

4363448494 > /mnt/dvd/

As you can see I ran it through the 'pv' program, 'progress view', is shows the percentage that way, very useful in pipes. Then at 39 % transfer I typed control Z, stopping the transfer, and waited 5 minutes. The drive STOPPED.

5 minutes later I typed 'fg' and its started running again Then when finished I ran 'diff' on the source and the destination files, NO DIFFERENCE. So I think it is safe to say Linux handles all that 'burnfree' or whatever, as I also did this with 100% load from some h264 encoding in an other xterm at the same time.

The only thing with using 'dd' is that you cannot set burn speed, and it clocked in slightly? slower than 1x So I use growisofs as it allows me to set speed (as does cdrecord). Ultimately speed is set by your system. This is all with a LG bluray burner. I am happy as from the test it seems I do not have to worry about buffer underruns.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje