Synchronous Switchers

We make a little 4-channel ARB that works fine, but a customer wants to use it in some RF kind of application, and he's seeing spectral spurs in the -75 dBc sort of range, not too awful for an ARB but terrible by RF generator standards.

Turns out there are some mathematical DDS artifacts but the bad boys are switching power supply noise. The main culprits are a couple of LTC3411 synchronous switchers. I'm seeing big spectral lines at the

5th and 7th harmonics of the switching frequencies, practically nothing at the fundamantals.

This is not the first time we've had sync switchers make a lot of noise. LM3102 was incredible. There's shoot-through current and sometimes step-recovery effects on the substrate catch diode, which is still needed in a synchronous switcher. The noise can be so mean that it spreads everywhere.

I decided to measure the supply currents as a preliminary to redesigning the power supply. The idea is to measure the DC drop across the tiny inductors, in the presence of all the switcher flailing. I made this probe-filter thing out of q-tips and junk.

and I made this to help solder stuff.

I think I'll use some LTM8023 modules next spin. They are very quiet.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Do you use snubbers on the inductors? Your waveform is too compressed to see what's going on but it looks like you have ringing on the edges. Snubbers might help. How much improvement do you need?

Reply to
krw

Too bad they're not isolated.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Wouldn't it be better to use better isolation on the analog supply to the D/A? The on-chip stuff is garbage at those frequencies, they make a big deal out of

40dB attenuation which is useless in RF applications requiring spectral purity.
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The on-chip stuff is garbage at those frequencies, they make a big deal out of

40dB attenuation which is useless in RF applications requiring spectral purity.

The DACs and opamps all have ferrite bead+bypass cap filters on all their supply pins. The switching noise is ripping through ground planes or power pours or something. If I short the post-DAC LC lowpass filter midway through, the spurs change but don't go away. I think the best fix is to use quiet-er switchers.

Here's the board. It's, like, 1/3 power supply, and it's not big enough to get things very far apart.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

D/A? The on-chip stuff is garbage at those frequencies, they make a big deal out of 40dB attenuation which is useless in RF applications requiring spectral purity.

Which may be resonant at one of the harmonics. Ferrite beads may be lossy at sufficiently high frequencies but I've had to add resistance in series with a ferrite bead to kill a resonance.

You have to characterise that sort of by-passing fairly carefully if you need heavy attenuation. And you may need to by-pass the regular stacked layer ceramic capacitors with a 1nF percelain microwave capacitor (if they still make them).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nope-- not needed. You have to know what you're doing, though -- which the integrated switch devices rarely do.

I won't post here, but I'd consider doing a reference design for you on contract ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Under 10MHz? Nah. If anything, skip the big ceramics. Tantalum or aluminum (not polymer) is better. I'll leave it as an exercise for the student to discover why. :-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

There has to be some non-overlap in the fet totem pole, or you'll get huge shoot-through spikes. So there needs to be a catch diode to keep things happy during the small non-overlap interval. Doesn't there?

This is a great shot:

That's the LM3102. You can see

Lower fet on

Lower fet off, catch diode conducting

Upper fet turns on, catch diode refuses to turn off

Catch diode runs out of carriers, snaps off. SRD! The rise is 15 volts (and three bizillion amps) in a couple ns.

The snap would freak out opamps clear across the board. Adding an external schottky, in parallel with the internal diode, helped some but not enough.

Switchers with external catch diodes, especially slow stuff like older Simple Switchers, don't do this. The LTM8023 is very quiet.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Obviously. Stacked layer ceramics don't look resistive under a 100MHz. John Larkin has been known to work with higher frequencies.

Tantalums typically have a high enough ESR to damp the kind of resonances I was worrying about. Aluminium electrolytics can be less resistive, but they have higher ESR's than ceramics.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

D/A? The on-chip stuff is garbage at those frequencies, they make a big deal out of 40dB attenuation which is useless in RF applications requiring spectral purity.

Is a linear supply out of the question?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Are you dyslexic ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Did you try a B-field probe? An imperfectly shielded inductor can easily couple big local currents into a ground plane.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

.

Hz.

he

Stupid question - which is probably a redundant observation, given the source of the question.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yep. Another Larkin sycophant. ...Jim Thompson

Apparently not when I do it :)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Now you're getting Thompsonish on us. Tell us how much you know but won't reveal.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You're just jealous that *you* don't have any sycophants. Well, there is JF, and you are welcome to that one.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Split ground plane! :)

Like James Arthur said, could well be magnetic noise from the not-so-well shielded switcher inductor.

I made a b-field probe with just a 1cm square loop of wire on the end of a BNC. Or you can probably use a smt inductor (I never thought of that at the time). You can put it on the end of another q-tip stick.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

--