Sylvania Silverstar headlights are junk

Den onsdag den 21. februar 2018 kl. 20.19.53 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com:

fog lights are useless unless it is foggy

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Right. But sometimes there's a blown alternator diode or a too-wimpy alternator *cough* 2000s Fords *cough* and the battery is chronically undercharged.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And I have a 1997 Lincoln (that was owned by an old lady). :)

But this means you're looking for a low voltage. I thought you meant high.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I kissed off buying Ford products in 1977... nevermore. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

So my question is, do you see 14V on the bulbs? Wonder if poor contacts / wire sizing etc, making a few-volt drop.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

CAFE has a lot to do with that.

Reply to
krw

They should. I don't see anyone being pulled over for not using turn signals, either. That doesn't make it legal, moral, or nice.

I'd be all for making any after-market lighting illegal. It's always done wrong.

Reply to
krw

+1

Foggy enough to have to slow down to 10MPH.

Reply to
krw

Dim lights, silly. You are to be looking for a low voltage at the lamp, when energized.

An indicator of poor wire gauge choice.

Reply to
Long Hair

Then you need to read the relevant regulations.

What utter bollox. Before you can be prosecuted for something, you have to have contravened a regulation. If all your 'optional' lighting is installed and operated withing the relevant statutory regulations, you cannot be breaking the law. Your arguments have no solid foundation.

TTman

Years (decades now) ago, there was a 'thing' called "J. C. Whitney". That was back before modern 'online' product purchases, and it was back before headlights of today brightness levels were permitted when operating on the roadways.

Now that some of those bright lights are factory installed elements of newly produced cars, it would appear that the laws were relaxed, and they are friggin' everywhere. And now we have LED headlamps hitting the scene. How quaint. Folks who cannot see driving with "light it up like daylight" headlights on so *they* can see all the while blinding everyone they approach. Oh and lucky you, they were owner installed and aimed.

Reply to
Long Hair

Good drivers learn to anticipate the road direction well in advance and don't need every little thing lit up like a Christmas tree to figure out where to steer.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

They're pretty good at the moment--I've bought two in the last 18 months and couldn't be happier with them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I am surprised you are not willing to consider that the bulbs are likely counterfeit, don't you do any research?

As for the brick and motor place you stopped buying from, while I agree some flexibility in warranty extension is reasonable (we do it all the time), perhaps a chat with the manager might have cleared that up.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

My 2001 Dodge truck had _no_ relays until I added them. At the same time, I put in heavier wiring and swapped the mediocre stock headlights for vastly better dual-bulb versions that Dodge put on the "Sport" model truck.

The headlight upgrade was motivated by Daniel Stern, who was posting on the Dodge truck group for a while. I bought the relays and some adapters from Stern. He was also recommending GE Nighthawk bulbs at the time, and told me my Silverstars were a poor choice because of the blue glass. I couldn't find Nighthawks and bought something else, which has been going for 13+ years now since the Silverstar duds were removed.

You might find something useful at

He knows his stuff, appears to be a Mopar fan, and might know what's feasible for a mid 90s Plymouth minivan.

Reply to
lunologist

I bought my second Q45 _13_years_ago_ and couldn't be happier... I really like the team-up of a honkin' V8 and _real_ leather ;-)

Wanna drag ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I'll bet Jim bought a truck in which Ford *still* used that same windshield gasket sealant that runs down your windshield when it gets hot.

Even after they knew about it, they used it for years. They must have bought a few too many rail tanker cars full of it to eat it that badly.

I think they actually used it right up through the '80s even.

I am a Chevy / GM man all the way. Always was, always will be.

My first engine rebuild was a BBC 427 Rat motor. That was in 1971. Just another of the things I can do well.

Reply to
Long Hair

This vehicle comes with relays already installed.....

Reply to
oldschool