Switching Circuit

A buried wire between house and garage has only 3 conductors. How do you utilize them to provide both constant power from house to garage, and 3-way switching for lights in the garage at either house or garage?

I used two 3-way switches and a relay.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I already replied to this on alt.electronics, where you didn\'t
crosspost, and I\'m crossposting it to sci.electronics.basics for good
measure.

You don\'t need a relay: (View in Courier)

       HOT                NEUT
        |                  |
        +---O-->\\    /
Reply to
John Fields

Is this acceptable by electrical code? Depending on switch positions, the lamp's white wire may be connected to neutral or hot, and in one set of switch settings, both white and black are connected to hot and the lamp is "off".

Reply to
Bryce

you can't do both constant power and 3 way switch with only 3 wires. You must use a magnetic latching relay that you can device a diode in the switches to select off/on at either point via the third wire or a mechanical rotary switch with solenoid plunger.

with that, you only need to use the third wire for that purpose. the (White) wire of course, will be the common to that circuit.

Jamie

X10.

Reply to
krw

Would seem to be against code because a copper conductor is normally now required from building (house) entry ground point to all recepticles.

John G.

Reply to
John G.

--
Can\'t read the schematic, eh?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I read the print just fine and I can only assume this person wants it to be legal!.

Your suggestion is not only illegal, its dangerous and would not work with all types of lights.. Putting a hot potential on the outer leg of a incandescent lamp fixer isn't very smart.

How ever, if you had suggested putting a relay in place of the lamp node in your schematic to drive the lamp with a dry contact, I would not of rejected the idea.

btw, your idea isn't a new one, it's been around for years but no longer a suggested practice.

Reply to
Jamie

Good point; e.g. the shell of a lamp socket 'could be' live; eh? Least one would do would be to colour both lamp wires red? With tape, sleeving or nail polish? If the light is a fully metal enclosed fluorescent fixture not so serious? Ingenious method though! Probably not as unsafe as some other 'bodges' one has seen. Using the ground as common neutral for the two live legs of a 230 volt system, for example. If myself would probably put a notation inside the box mounting the lamp/bulb. But that is no guarantee if the bulb socket is hanging down on lamp cord!

Reply to
stan

--
If he does, that\'s his responsibility, not mine.
Reply to

--
Oh, and by the way,  you annoying piece of shit, PLONK!
Reply to

Yes, a dry contact. Its standard savvy in the EE world.

Yup. you seem to indicate I have a lot of that.

Hmm, that's so unlike you. Using vulgar language and for the horse? if you say so. Miserable? Nah, bastard? You really know my mother that well :)

Sorry, but if today's licensed electricians used that circuit as is, they should have their license revoked.

I'm sorry that offended you, truth does hurt at times.

I must say, you are very creative with that colorful metaphor.

And for the record, I am not a licensed electrician how ever, I have pissed off a few when their illegal, shortcut, dangerous practices were brought to light. Along with reminding them of things they forgot in school or never learned in the first place.

There comes a time in everyone's life where they need to swallow their pride.

Not saying you have any short comings by any means. Take it as you like.

I never claimed to know it all, nor should any one else but, I am not totally in the dark.

Have a good day.

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks.

You're a man of words!

Well, I assume you're a man?

Reply to
Jamie

Crikey! Is "Jamie" our latest nutcase ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Nah, the nutcase has been around for some time.

Reply to
krw

.

Fields-Thumpson james whats up with you both .... can't you shut up for once in your lives. Your friend

| JimmyThumbsun TOC | GIRLIES | | Anul Innovations,Co | at all |

I love to drink wine. Sometimes I even vomit it when drunk

Reply to
Jimmy Thumbsun

a castrated one you mean ... hey hey

| JimmyThumbsun TOC | GIRLIES | | Anul Innovations,Co | at all |

I love to drink wine. Sometimes I even vomit it when drunk

Reply to
Jimmy Thumbsun

Including the one that just made the above remark.

You may want to pick your comments wisely. It has been proven by history, that nut cases have made an ass of many.

It's so hard to weed them out when so many step up to the plate.

Reply to
Jamie

ALways taste better the second time down!

Reply to
Jamie

You do as well at English as you do electronics, I see.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in months!

I know you'd like to eat me, but like DimBulb, you're not my type. Maybe the two of you could hook up...

Reply to
krw