Survivalist Electronics and Technology

I've been in earthquakes and hurricanes, where we lost power for days and once for weeks. The first thing that happened after the '89 quake, a bunch of my neighbors, some I barely knew, decided that we should all bring out our ice cream and taste/share it, before it melted.

There are lots of bad and rude drivers here. After the quake, with no traffic lights, everybody went to 4-way-stop mode. The politeness level was eerie.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On the technical note, there are techniques for protecting electronics from really wild transient events such as EMP and Lightning Strikes. If you need such protection guaranteed then you will need a shed load of funding to go through the Tempest testing regime to prove your designs will survive. It would not hurt any, though, if you learned about such protective measures and design them in, even without the testing, as it will improve your design's resilience in the face of other every day transient events.

In the planning for surviving disaster. As someone else has noted, those who are geared for camping (wilder style - not the cosy canvass home from home variety) will be a ways towards survival readiness. Add in having a CW transceiver in sealed metal tin (you will need to learn some morse code), some means to generate electrical energy from any fuel source (similarly protected), emergency water filtration systems (like Lifesaver - see

and enough food and preserved fresh water to get you over the first few months while you establish replacement food and water sources, and finally, some form of weaponry that does not rely on anything other than quite basic technology (back to bows, arrows and cross- bows) to allow you some form of protection and the ability to hunt live prey to add to your food supply. Brush up on your First Aid Training so that you are able to deal with many medical emergencies without having to resort to finding doctors. It sometimes seems a shame that we do not seem to have Civil Defence education and exercises any more.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

Den onsdag den 23. april 2014 21.35.50 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

I guess it depends a lot on the area and the people there, I've seen news from the US natural disasters that might as well have been from some African country in the middle of civil war with people looting etc.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

One thing is lack of power or heat. Lack of water is an entirely other ballgame

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Fifty years ago.

Katrina, not so much. Lefties have had their toll on the entire country, particularly large cities with a large minority population (the slaves on the lefties' plantation).

Reply to
krw

Clueless, yes. And I am in the top 5% ! Now, in Sydney, do you have millions of people who are dependent on the government? What is your plan in case of a disaster? jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

Katrina was in 2005.

The Pretty Big earthquake here was in 1989. People were great.

Precision electronic instrumentation

t.

rmative.

er data sources.

Rated on non-critical gullibility.

overnment?

Sydney had a population of 4,627,345 in 2011. They rely on state-government controlled services for water, sewage (mostly - the inhabitants of the out er suburbs used septic tanks when I was young, and some probably still do) and public transport. Most of them would keep on working if the politicians stopped meddling with them.

Which disaster do you have in mind? The current one was the election of the right-wing Liberal-Country Party Coalition government, who are intent on m aking the country look even more like the US than it does at the moment. Si nce my wife and I are relatively well-off, this isn't a disaster for us, in the short term.

Making a plan in anticipation of a disaster involves predicting the form th at the disaster is going to take.

The likeliest disaster here would be the US government deciding that our go vernment was not right-wing enough, and promoting a Chile-style military ta keover, and planning for that involves steering clear of active left-wing p olitics. A slightly less likely disaster would be an asteroid impact nearby , but we'd probably cope with that. We regulary survive bush-fires and - fu rther north - cyclones.

Darwin got flattened by Cyclone Tracy in 1974, which made Katrina look like a local squall. My ex-sister-in-law, then a social worker, spent six month s in Darwin, helping in the clean-up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, it's terrible what the left wing types have done to the family structure in the ghettos. ("inner cities" in newspeak.)

Reply to
haiticare2011

net.

formative.

ther data sources.

government?

[...]

I hear it's a nice city. No hge dependent population, from the sound of it, though. Do you like it there?

Reply to
haiticare2011

Exactly my point. Katrina was the mess of all messes. It certainly was *not* the party you pretend.

SF NOLA (Chicago, Detroit, or NYC)

Note what happened during the NYC blackouts of 1965 vs. 2003.

Reply to
krw

Krw's working definition of a "lefty" is "somebody who doesn't share his de mented opinions".

They are a majority, and they generally aren't the people who are making m ess of the USA, a group who mostly share a lot of krw's sillier ideas.

It's not easy to work out what krw might mean by a large minority populatio n - if any given population is large enough, it becomes a majority - but he most likely means people having some visible African ancestry.

How they'd get to be "the slaves on the lefties' plantations" requires some explanation. Large cities haven't got room for plantations, and if krw bel ieves employees in a factory are wage-slaves, equivalent to chattel slaves on a Southern plantation, he's using a dubious analogy first popularised by Karl Marx.

Quite how the "lefties" get to own the factories/"plantations" is another i nteresting question, but it does seem likely that "lefties" would own the f actories, since anybody silly enough to be recognised as a non-lefty by krw would have to be too silly to hang onto a factory if they inherited one or won it in a card game/stock market merger.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The right-wing types who owned the slaves on the real plantations, back when slavery was legal, may also have something to answer for, but that's history. and, as Henry Ford said, "history is bunk".

The guy that said that those who don't know history are condemned to repeat it didn't make nearly as much money as Henry Ford did, and can't be taken seriously.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Dependent on what?

It's a scenic city, which means that getting around is trickier and more expensive than is ideal.

Alex Pentland's "Social Physics" ISBN 978-1-922070-89-0 argues that this is a fatal flaw. In my current capacity as treasurer of the NSW branch of the IEEE I'm getting to see that getting around Sydney works well enough ...

Melbourne, which is flat and less scenic, has much better public transport (cars don't work much better, but bikes do) and is probably a better long term bet, but Sydney is quite good enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

demented opinions".

mess of the USA, a group who mostly share a lot of krw's sillier ideas.

ion - if any given population is large enough, it becomes a majority - but he most likely means people having some visible African ancestry.

me explanation. Large cities haven't got room for plantations, and if krw b elieves employees in a factory are wage-slaves, equivalent to chattel slave s on a Southern plantation, he's using a dubious analogy first popularised by Karl Marx.

interesting question, but it does seem likely that "lefties" would own the factories, since anybody silly enough to be recognised as a non-lefty by k rw would have to be too silly to hang onto a factory if they inherited one or won it in a card game/stock market merger.

Nah, the "lefties" and "righty" politicians need the votes of the minoritie s so they pretend to be outraged over their treatment in society and give the m hand-outs. In exchange for votes. Meanwhile, these politicians are stealing everything they can. And yes, here the Democrats and Republicans both are at the trough. oink oi nk. :) A Frenchman who toured the US in 1840 predicted it would happen. A famous b ook can't remember it...

Reply to
haiticare2011

s demented opinions".

g mess of the USA, a group who mostly share a lot of krw's sillier ideas.

ation - if any given population is large enough, it becomes a majority - bu t he most likely means people having some visible African ancestry.

some explanation. Large cities haven't got room for plantations, and if krw believes employees in a factory are wage-slaves, equivalent to chattel sla ves on a Southern plantation, he's using a dubious analogy first popularise d by Karl Marx.

er interesting question, but it does seem likely that "lefties" would own t he factories, since anybody silly enough to be recognised as a non-lefty by krw would have to be too silly to hang onto a factory if they inherited on e or won it in a card game/stock market merger.

ies

hem

That's a bit silly. You need a majority of votes to win an election. The ha ndouts would have to be paid for by the majority who would be unlikely to v ote for somebody who was silly enough to use their money to bribe other vot ers.

Make up your mind. They are either "dealing out hand-outs" or "stealing eve rything they can". They can't do both. Stealing everything doesn't leave an ything left over to hand out.

oink. :)

book can't remember it...

He saw it as a risk. How come I know about the book and you don't? Whicheve r 5% you belong to, it isn't the well-informed one.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:20:43 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Klaus Kragelund wrote in :

Yes, for ships yesterday I was looking into sea water desalinating equipment..

Note that 'waterlog thing' does not seem to work.

Will set you back a bit (couple of thousand), unless you .. eBay item number: 270725541049 need only a little :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

nice thanks. One time I was buying a yacht (didn't), I met a number of people who lived in boats and travelled the world. They are in any harbor. An interesting life style.

Reply to
haiticare2011

snip

his demented opinions".

@@@ or hispanic.

@@@ no he means they are on welfare, take and deal drugs, shoot each other, etc.

ther interesting question, but it does seem likely that "lefties" would own the factories, since anybody silly enough to be recognised as a non-lefty by krw would have to be too silly to hang onto a factory if they inherited one or won it in a card game/stock market merger.

@@@ Yes, the Republicans pretend to take the other side, but they all sit d own to $200 a plate dinners in DC at the end of the day and laugh. It's a show.

ities

them

handouts would have to be paid for by the majority who would be unlikely to vote for somebody who was silly enough to use their money to bribe other v oters. @@@ Happens all the time here. The schools here brain-wash the kids, so that's a big part of the problem. The pols get away with it - mostly throug h fake shame. I admit, it's crazy, but it's big time here.

verything they can". They can't do both. Stealing everything doesn't leave anything left over to hand out. @@@ Yes they do both. Don't forget, every organization has an overhead. The burrow-cats manage the hand-outs, and much of it sticks to their hands. Someone estimated that 75% of the welfsare never makes it out of DC. This is a kleptocracy, pure and simple. ANd- the welfare recipients include crony capitalists like GM. It isn't jus t poor people on medicaid, it includes the burrowcats, cronies, SS, medicare, medicine, Pharma, Military, etc. A raging kleptocracy.

k oink. :)

us book can't remember it...

@@@Yep - that's him.

ver 5% you belong to, it isn't the well-informed one. @@@ You should lose that name-calling habit. You probably looked it up on crapipedia. :)

Reply to
haiticare2011

Think of it as a _really_ fine seive. The requirement for a pressure difference is due to entropy,

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts