Surge current limiting on large capacitors and power factor correction (PFC)

I've posted previously about failures in my push-pull high power DC-DC=20 converter, which have most likely been caused by start-up surge currents =

when first connected to the DC source (batteries), and when the = converter=20 starts charging the output capacitors through a bridge rectifier with a=20 square wave. I think I have found several options such as a resistive=20 precharge resistor or a current-limiting switching circuit either as a=20 front-end add-on, or as part of the push-pull PWM.

Now I am looking at two designs used in electric vehicles and described = in=20 threads:

open-source-59210.html and

The charger uses AC mains of 120 or 240 VAC to charge the battery pack,=20 which may be 72 VDC to as much as 700 VDC, and generally about 100 A-Hr, =

which is 86 to 840 kW-hr. So an 8 hour charge may require 10 kW to as = much=20 as 100 kW. One charger design is:

There have been some problems with getting maximum power because of the=20 input surge currents and high PF due to the capacitors. I offered some=20 improvement using a precharge resistor and an inductor as follows:

s.png

The LTSpice ASC files are in the same folder and you can read the = directory:

To be really effective at line frequency, the inductor must be rather = large=20 and expensive. And the power factor was not really improved all that = much=20 with the smaller ones that are of reasonable size and cost.

So, I plan to try some switching techniques to reduce the initial inrush = and=20 also to improve power factor. I found an interesting resource on PFC at:

But I didn't understand all of it, and I wanted to propose an idea that = may=20 or may not be one of the topologies discussed there.

If you know of any better resources or actual circuits, please let me = know.=20 I did some searching but it seems that PFC circuits may be trade = secrets.

Basically, I plan to just rectify the incoming power through a FWB. Then = I=20 would like to design a switching circuit consisting of an inductor, = diode,=20 and series MOSFET as a forward buck regulator, so that it would allow = the=20 incoming voltage to apply current through the inductor until it reaches = like=20

1.5 times the maximum expected output current, and then disconnect until = the=20 current drops to about 0.75 times the output current. Thus it would run = in=20 continuous mode and the input current would remain within reasonable = limits=20 of the available source current.

As the input voltage increases, the duty cycle would decrease, although = it=20 would be more a function of the difference between the input and output=20 voltage (on the main storage caps as they are charging). This process = would=20 continue until the capacitors are fully charged and hopefully the PWM = would=20 continue to draw a relatively constant current from the supply line. It = may=20 even be better to operate this switcher as a buck/boost so that it will=20 provide a higher output voltage near the zero crossings of the input = supply,=20 and a lower voltage when the supply peaks exceed the intended fully = charged=20 output voltage.

This is still a conceptual design, so I wanted to get some feedback = about=20 its chance of working and any pitfalls to avoid. This will be a fairly=20 high-end piece of equipment so it is no problem to use microcontrollers=20 and/or dedicated ICs. I'll discuss the other item (DC-DC converter) in a =

separate thread.

Thanks!

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

It's no trade secret. This is how real PFC is done and they have a circuit ready-to-go to get you started on LTSpice:

There are also controllers that are essentially working as glorified boost converters. Not much to it, but usually you end up having to wind your own magnetics. Especially at the power levels you are talking about.

Disconnect wouldn't be real PFC. If you are this ambitious about it I'd do it right so the distortion in the current is really minimal.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The classic old-school PFC scheme uses a bridge rectifier and boost converter topology. The problem with this is that the cap bank is charged with only a series inductor between it and the mains, and causes a large current draw at turn-on. There are a bunch of schemes such as a series resistor to charge the cap bank to rectified mains voltage, then a relay or an SCR shunts the resistor.

Some newer schemes control the main converter PWM and get rid of the cap bank, but approximately stop producing power during the mains zero-crossing. This would be unacceptable for a computer supply, but might be OK for lighting or battery charging. You might find some interesting circuits in the lighting app notes from some chip manufacturers.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson