suitable motor for small motorized platform?

I have a small platform that has a pocket videocamera attached to it. Since I have the camera and platform in a remote location, I need to be able to move the camera slightly in two dirctions: toward and away from an external lens (the lens is not attached and focus is done by moving the camera toward or away from the lens) and also slightly in perpendicular directions to and fro (because some objects are not centered in the lens and the camera can move slightly to compensate).

I first tried making two small stacked platforms on top of modified drawer sliders with strings attached. The idea was to pull a string to move the camera in either of the directions above, but there is too much stress needed to get the camera to move and I must find a better way.

Then the idea has occurred to attach a nut to the bottom of each platform and then use a threaded rod with a motor attached to the rod to move the platform in either direction. Since the camera needs to be able to move slowly in any of the directions and go forward and reverse, I'm not sure what type of motor would be suitable. I have some 3 Volt DC hobby motors, but I think these are way too fast for the job plus I doubt they reverse direction with polarity change. Can someone suggest a suitable motor, preferably something surplus? BTW, the threaded rod wouldn't need to be anything larger than 1/4" diameter or so.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill Proms

Perhaps you can adapt something like this: (?) Link:

mpm

Gearing the motor speed down is sensible anyway.

That makes me wonder just how big and heavy your "small" camera platform is and what load it has to move around.

You might be able to do what you want with fairly standard radio control servo motors combined with an optical feedback. Otherwise look at the platforms for 3D printer beds for inspiration...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Heck of a lot of geared steppers available for a few dollars on ebay would drive that screw one step at a time if you felt like it :-)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

You can find 4096 steps-per-revolution steppers on eBay for a few dollars shipped (internal gear reduction). 5mm diameter flatted shafts. I'm using them to build a 'barn door' DSLR mount to photograph the night sky. The 4096 is based on half-steps, BTW. You can also find proper couplers which allows some lack of axial alignment, or just use a bit of rubber hose.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It sounds like you want motors with gearboxes, AKA gearmotors. most small DC brushmotors reverse with reversed polarity many that don't can easily be modified to reverse

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Any permanent magnet DC motor should reverse with reverse polarity input. Small DC motors tend strongly to be PM type.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I've seen lots of surplus XY stages, with stepper motors, on ebay.

You can make most steppers step at 60 Hz with just an AC supply, a pushbutton, and a capacitor. Reversing is easy, too. You can also drive a stepper with DC and a rotary switch.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You've gotten lots of decent answers so far, here's mine:

If those "hobby motors" are from Radio Shack, then they are permanent- magnet DC motors and yes, they'll reverse. But they won't have enough torque for what you want.

How are you controlling your motors? You mentioned strings -- were you just pulling on them yourself? Or are you controlling the camera with a close-by computer, or what?

If you're interested in doing this with a computer and some $$, then look for the X-Y table on ebay with stepper motor drive, then get some compatible stepper motor drivers that "talk" USB.

If you're interested in doing this with 1950's technology, then check out surplus outlets (or eBay) for gear motors. Mount a drum to a gear motor, wind that string around the drum, and put a return spring on each axis of your home-brew X-Y table. Then drive the gear motors with on-off-on DPDT switches connected to reverse the rotation (Google for it, check back here if you can't find any schematics). If your machining skills are up to it, use your jack screw and nut idea, but drive the jack screw with your gear motor.

If you're home-brewing a microprocessor driver for this, then the suggested RC servos are an easy solution; you can find them in a pretty wide range of sizes, so getting really big herky ones is well within reach.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Maybe R/C model servos... the heavier version, for cars? ...Jim Thompson

The second-heaviest ones are elevator and rudder servos for giant-scale airplanes. The HEAVIEST ones are sail winches for RC sailboats, but I'm not even sure if any of those are in production these days.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Someone must make them, though I'm not sure of availability for consumers... I recently bought an R/C Jeep for the 5-year-old grandson, pretty strong steering and the sucker would probably go

40MPH ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Thanks to all for the responses so far. You certainly have given me plenty of ideas. To give you an idea of what I have now, take a look at this:

I don't have this. I fashioned something out of wood and used drawer sliders, cut way down, for each slid-able axis. If I want to move in either x-x or y-y, I just pull the appropriate string attached to the ends. This isn't working out too well though as there's too much friction in the system, plus I designed it on the fly without actually planning anything out.

What I did today was actually purchase that device at the link above. If you look at the picture, it uses a geared sprocket with geared rails for each axis for smooth manual motion as the sprocket is turned. I'm wondering if I could mount a small motor alongside of each sprocket, couple over the motor and sprocket with a rubber band to act as a belt and move each axis by powering the motor. When I converted a small telescope I have from manual to electric focus, that's exactly what was done.... small motor alongside the manual focus and a belt placed over the motor and focuser.

I'm not sure though what speed or type of motor I would need. A motor like on the telescope would be ideal, but I don't have the specs for it. Appreciate any ideas here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Proms

,

st

something like this?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Take a look at Marlin P. Jones & Assoc Inc.,

They have a selection of steppers & dc motors & geared dc motors. The latter range down to 12v/6.8 rpm.

Hul

Bill Proms wrote:

Reply to
dbr

,

st

I'm guessing you want a fairly low speed output. We get 1 RPM timing motors from Herbach and Rademan

But I don't think they reverse. Can you measure how much torque you need? That will help in picking a motor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Servo City sells gear motors that (iirc) do reverse, plus they have a lot of Meccano-style parts you can bolt together for this sort of job. I bought some of their stuff for the spectrometer I'm working on.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm not sure if it would fit your needs but I've seen some using radio control servos to make motorized camera platforms. Some are operating R/C vehicles and aircraft this way, they have head tracking devices and video goggles, when they turn or tilt their head, the camera turns & tilts. Many R/C units have a pot knob to adjust a servo position, that could operate the lens distance while a joystick could operate pan & tilt, if that's what you were wanting to do.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I recommend you start from an inexpensive plastic X-Y stage. Then add a couple of stepper motors with appropriate reduction drives. You may be able to find all of this surplus (a better X-Y stage will be a big plus).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

ZHAOWEI, A TRUSTWORTHY MANUFACTURER OF MICRO GEAR MOTOR Shenzhen ZHAOWEI is specialized in designing, manufacturing and selling Micro DC Gear Motors, especially DC Geared Motors. We have successfully wo rked out over 100 series of Micro DC Motors. Our products are widely applie d on house-hold appliance, office equipment, health-care and beauty-care fa cilities, medical appliance, high-class toys, electronic tools, electronic commodity, automotive parts and some automatic systems as well. We have a team of professional staffs who are working on R&D and QC, wh ich ensure our good quality managing system and advcanced technology in Mot or Industry. A whole set of advanced production equipments ensure our quali ty and service. Therefore, we won very good reputations from end customers. We will always keep close to the market, and try our best to improve th e equipments and technology step by step, so as to satisfy our customers' v arious demands. Recently, our products are widely sold to US, West Europe, East South Asia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and home market. We are still doing our best to exploit the world market, hope we will have cooperation in the near future.

Reply to
zwgearbox