Suitable connectors

To get information from a "formula student" car (wheel speed, acceleration, temperature, gyro, gps..) a student is designing a board with a microcontroller and a CAN bus transceiver. To make it modular and universal, it will have two CAN bus connectors (to the preceding and the next sensor) and one connector to its specific sensor.

Which would be a suitable 6 pin connector pair (board and cable) to go to the *sensor* (say 30 cm/1 foot apart)? For the CAN bus connector I have seen that RJ45 is sometimes used. I guess that a hot glue drop may help keeping everything in place and perhaps he can use the same for the sensor (?). But, can someone suggest one molex (or similar) connector pair from what seems to be a myriad of choices available?

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

A bit more on the specification might be in order, like, is this to be connected/disconnected often, environmental specs etc... If it is to be (dis)connected seldomly, I'd go with a molex with lock tab, crimped, maybe a dab of contact (conductive) grease and seal it in with shrinktube.

If it is to be regularly (dis)connected, I'd go with a 6-pin DIN with a lock tab or screw-on lock, or one of the similar connectors used by various PTT's for radios. They're not that much more expensive than generic DIN's.

Yet another option would be phoenix/euro blocks (basically, those jackable contact blocks with 1/10 or 2/10 inch spacing. Those come in variants secured with screws.

/Teo.

--

teostupiditydor@algonet.se | for you are good and crunchy with
Remove stupidity to reply  | ketchup.

In theory, it will not be disconnected regularly -but this is a prototype car and in prototypes you end up (re)moving things more often than was anticipated. I have tried to search a suitable molex connector but are unable to find what I need amidst thousands of results (even restricting to farnell or digikey). Can you provide a keyword to narrow down the list?

I didn't know of DIN connectors with lock. Will look them up

I had considered this possibility, but am worried if vibrations will loose the screws?

Thanks for your help!

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

Try "MicroFit 3" style connectors.

Reply to
whit3rd

Those should work. When I worked aerospace-lite, we used a lot of 0.1 pitch rectangular connectors with polarized housings but no clips, and things worked just fine in spite of being bolted to helicopters (which vibrate like hell when they fly).

It's probably more important that they get the wire dress correct -- put cables in bundles, with a bit of slack to the boards and the bundles nailed down to chassis elements. Anywhere there's going to be relative movement use service loops, and if the relative movement is going to be constant (like, to a sensor on a wheel), consider getting wire that's rated for continuous flex (if you can find it).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

M12 connectors are often used in industrial harsh industrial applications. DeviceNet seems to specify a 5 pole connector CAN_H/CAN_L, Power_Plus/Power_Minus and shield.

Reply to
upsidedown

Thanks for your info! It is good to know what worked in such a harsh environment.

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

Great! That's what I was looking for!

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

Thanks for the pointer. These look good indeed. Probably better (and more expensive) than the other alternative that has been given. And there seems to be no version for PCB mounting...

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

My main objection is that you should not use direct female connectors on the PCB due to the vibration. I would not use such constructions for any heavy diesel machinery and I guess that the racing car systems are not that different.

Just use female connectors on the frame of the box and then use flexible cables to the PCB.

Reply to
upsidedown

You make a good point here. However, with this approach the size of the box increases... It would be ideal if the "intelligence" of each sensor could be made as small as possible. Let's see if they manage to fit everything in a sufficiently small box...

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

RL