Subsea permafrost on East Siberian Arctic Shelf in accelerated decline

This could go off like a bomb, figuratively speaking.

"Dr. Semiletov added that the 5 billion tonnes of methane that is currently in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of the froz en methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Sounds like I may as well have that second Tartine morning bun.

lunatic fringe electronics

tly in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of the f rozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

Yaeh! Live it up!

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Someone needs to strike a match at bloggs' place >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Or buy him some happy pills.

lunatic fringe electronics

ntly in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of th e frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

Oh no, we're all going to DIE!!!!

Oh wait, we are - actually going to die - after living out our normal life span baring accidents...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

ntly in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of the frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

Pass this on to your children :

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

EE Times is more fun. And better written.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rrently in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of t he frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

They're not aware of the concept of tipping point and the indisputable scie ntific evidence that it has been reached quite some time ago. So now we go into the era of involuntary human extinction.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

rrently in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of t he frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

Short but sweet summary of consequences of arctic ice melt, and goes into t he siberian permafrost shelf thaw, Human Extinction by 2030 - The Reality o f An Ice Free Arctic:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 5:01:00 PM UTC+2, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

ly in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of the fr ozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

That means that there could be 500 billion tonnes of frozen methane hydrate under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf.

The last epidsode of rapid global warmong that we had

seems to have been caused by the addition of 2000 to 7000 gigatons of meth ane to the Earth atmsophere over a couple of thousand years, which is rathe r more than the East Siberian Arctic Shelf seems to have to offer.

Since current global warming does seem to be largely driven by us digging u p fossil carbon and burning it as fuel, getting extra warming from the Arct ic permafrost wouldn't be a good thing, but it is by no means obvious how l ong it would take us to destabilise all the East Arctic methane hydrates, o r whether these are the only deposits of methane hydrates we have to worry about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ntly in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of the frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

te under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf.

thane to the Earth atmsophere over a couple of thousand years, which is rat her more than the East Siberian Arctic Shelf seems to have to offer.

up fossil carbon and burning it as fuel, getting extra warming from the Ar ctic permafrost wouldn't be a good thing, but it is by no means obvious how long it would take us to destabilise all the East Arctic methane hydrates, or whether these are the only deposits of methane hydrates we have to worr y about.

These numbers are being revised all the time. It is impossible to know any of it within more than a few orders of magnitude.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Didn't we already go extinct some time in the 1980s?

The space station is a huge waste of money. It should be used to prevent comet/asteroid hits, which *could* wipe out a chunk of the population.

lunatic fringe electronics

That's typical of climate science, being off 1000:1. Or not even getting the sign right.

lunatic fringe electronics

e:

rrently in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of the frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

ydrate under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf.

f methane to the Earth atmsophere over a couple of thousand years, which is rather more than the East Siberian Arctic Shelf seems to have to offer .

ging up fossil carbon and burning it as fuel, getting extra warming from the Arctic permafrost wouldn't be a good thing, but it is by no means obv ious how long it would take us to destabilise all the East Arctic methane hydrates, or whether these are the only deposits of methane hydrates we have to worry about.

any of it within more than a few orders of magnitude.

The 'potential' threat enables more research - which then pays for their

salaries for a few more years until they find something else that will 'tip us over the line'.

Consider the recent stories about how malaria, etc., could be coming to northern US and Canada while forgetting that historically malaria was common as far north as Ottawa, Canada back in the 1800s.

People adapt to and/or change their local environment all the time.

Pollution and poverty are two major scourges that still need more attention as far as immediate improvement to human life NOW - not 100 years in the future!

John

Reply to
John Robertson

rrently in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of t he frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

drate under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf.

methane to the Earth atmsophere over a couple of thousand years, which is rather more than the East Siberian Arctic Shelf seems to have to offer.

ing up fossil carbon and burning it as fuel, getting extra warming from the Arctic permafrost wouldn't be a good thing, but it is by no means obvious how long it would take us to destabilise all the East Arctic methane hydrat es, or whether these are the only deposits of methane hydrates we have to w orry about.

ny of it within more than a few orders of magnitude.

It's impossible to know how much methane is trapped beneath the ice. But fe el free to suggest a more precise estimation methodology. Seeing as the exp anse of ocean on the Earth's surface escapes you, I don't have high hopes y ou'll come up with anything.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I design electronics. Why don't you?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

te:

currently in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent o f the frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

hydrate under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf.

mum

of methane to the Earth atmsophere over a couple of thousand years, which is rather more than the East Siberian Arctic Shelf seems to have to offer.

igging up fossil carbon and burning it as fuel, getting extra warming from the Arctic permafrost wouldn't be a good thing, but it is by no means obvio us how long it would take us to destabilise all the East Arctic methane hyd rates, or whether these are the only deposits of methane hydrates we have t o worry about.

w any of it within more than a few orders of magnitude.

feel free to suggest a more precise estimation methodology. Seeing as the expanse of ocean on the Earth's surface escapes you, I don't have high hope s you'll come up with anything.

Electronics is kinda stone age, that's why it's mostly neanderthals who wor k with it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Electronics is only about a hundred years old, and has radically changed the world. And will change it more.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rote:

is currently in the Earth?s atmosphere represents about one percent of the frozen methane hydrate store in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf."

ne hydrate under the East Siberian Arctic Shelf.

ximum

ns of methane to the Earth atmsophere over a couple of thousand years, whic h is rather more than the East Siberian Arctic Shelf seems to have to offer .

digging up fossil carbon and burning it as fuel, getting extra warming fro m the Arctic permafrost wouldn't be a good thing, but it is by no means obv ious how long it would take us to destabilise all the East Arctic methane h ydrates, or whether these are the only deposits of methane hydrates we have to worry about.

now any of it within more than a few orders of magnitude.

ut feel free to suggest a more precise estimation methodology. Seeing as th e expanse of ocean on the Earth's surface escapes you, I don't have high ho pes you'll come up with anything.

ork with it.

Fred, no offense, but why don't you post your crap elsewhere?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold