Sub circuit in Ltspice.

If I create a sub circuit in LTspice, will that circuit's content be exported with the main file or do I need to include that along with the file? I read the help file but it some what does not give me a fuzzy feeling..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

If you place the whole subcircuit text into your schematic as a SPICE directive then it is included. That's how I always do it. Typically to the left or below so clients have a choice of printing it out along with the schematic or not.

Much better than needing two files or having to load library parts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What Joerg suggests is the equivalent of .INCLUDE in other Spice's. Slows down the loading of the input file. .LIB is faster and more efficient. ...Jim Thompson

What I meant is .SUBCKT in the input file. I've never had any speed issues, they load in a second or two. What does take forever is sims with gapped transformers in there, leakage inductance and all that. And then the office temp start to rise and rise and rise.

I've got an Intel 1.6GHz dual core in there. Rumors have it that the Intel i7 could be almost twice as fast. Have you heard and confirmations in that direction?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

OK. I misread your intent. That's equivalent to a .LIB call... only what you need is loaded.

Heats my office in winter ;-)

That's what I have in my notebook (Thinkpad X61s): 1.60 GHz Intel Core2 Duo. It runs slower than my old Win2K machine (Analog3) with a

2.20GHz AMD Athlon 64 and only 1G of RAM :-)

Since Analog1 (also 2.20GHz AMD Athlon 64, but WinXP Pro) crashed and burned, I'm pondering what to replace it with. Mark/qrk is the resident expert on benchmarking. There's so much Intel malarkey out there, it's difficult to know what would be best for a simulation machine. ...Jim Thompson

feeling..

My main office machine is a nice Supermicro dual 8-core AMD Magny Cours with 32G of RAM and a nice RAID5 disc array. I bought it about a year ago for a bit under $4k. It runs CentOS 6.2 Linux, with kvm/qemu virtual machines for XP/32 and Win7/64.

LTspice flies.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My cheap i3 laptop would sim circles around those, so $400. You could likely get an ATOM that would do it pretty fast too.

Can't beat Costco sometimes. But better and cheaper is already out there too. Kinda wished I'd waited.

But if you want *the best*, splurge and build your own machine with a new LG2011 socket W79 motherboard, and a superior EVGA vid card. It takes a while to build the box, PS, and get your HDs and Disc drives and fans first. THEN get the MOBO, CPU, and RAM. They get cheaper over time, so you buy those last.

A good, hot, cutting edge build starts at around $2k and goes up from there. A dual Xeon could run $3k each just for the processors.

Those build do hold *some* of their value though.

My Atom runs circles around my old 486 EISA though, and I thought that was a hot box, and my Atom is a full computer for $300.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

feeling..

It isn't "nice" if it doesn't have USB 3. also needs SATA 3, cause RAID

5 on the old interface spec is no gain.

$4k??? Supermicro saw you coming. Or the guy you got to build it for you.

I'd go with an EVGA dual XEOM MOBO and fill it with 6 or 12 way (core pairs). Put all my money into the CPUs and MOBO. AMD mobos are all taking a hit these days, mainly because the idiots embraced and bought ATI.

Supermicro makes dual CPU mobos. Oh boy. They have always been hugely overpriced and underfunctioned.

EVGA makes MODERN dual CPU motherboards. Supermicro is like Dell. It is two year old technology the moment you buy it. With this, even more than 2 years.

And the price difference is small enough that I stopped buying AMD 8 years ago. Intel Mobos and CPUs scream.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

the

feeling..

with

How much heavy duty floating point do you do in a day? Have you done any actual benchmarks for floating point performance between Intel and AMD?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the

feeling..

with

Yup. The real test is simulation. Intel runs all over AMD with toy apps. AMD kills Intel when it comes to Spice. ...Jim Thompson

That's a lot of money for playing video games.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

be

the

feeling..

SPICE

with

confirmations

I'm running a 12-core optimizing FDTD electromagnetic simulation on it right now, for a spectroscopic biochip project. Peak speed is about 150 Gflops, single precision.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the

feeling..

with

Not just there. I have a ruggedized laptop (Gammatech Durabook) with an AMD Turion 64 that is at least five years old. In a Cypress training session where compile runs on PSoC code had to be done a lot it blew the socks off the other guys with their fancy and newer biz laptops. It always finished first, way earlier.

The Atom on my netbook is different. That is boviously taylored towards fuel economy and SPICE sims take much longer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Am 07.10.2012 21:06, schrieb TheQuickBrownFox:

I'm writing this in a hotel room in Delphi, Greece, on a 17 month old Dell Precision M6600 17" laptop. Nobody else had 6 GBit/s SATA, USB-3,

16 or 32 GB RAM, Core I7 vpro and such a display at that time. I have replaced the iron disk first with a OCZ Vortex3 SSD and now both drives are 512 GB Samsung 830 SSDs. Plugged them in and they worked. Both the OCZ and the Samsungs give about 500 MBytes/s transfer rate in the laptop, about the same as a customer's CAD server monster RAID. LT spice performance is somewhat better than twice that of the server.

I have not yet tried the two SSDs as a RAID-0. Plus, I'll be able to run CUDA code on the graphics card for software defined radio.

So, please don't tell us that Dell is >2 years back.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

What operating system, Win7 ?

How do you like it? I fear biting that bullet :-( ...Jim Thompson

Works well for me, except that I have a few DOS programs that I still use, which it won't run. (Freelance 4.0 is the biggest problem.) I have an XP virtual machine on my Supermicro box to handle that sort of stuff.

Win7 also has an 'XP mode' feature, but it won't run on my standard laptops.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My video card does better performance than either.

As CPUs go, the winner in that race would be, even after being four years old, the Cell CPU.

I am sorry, but a 20 ms spice sim calculation and a 17 ms calc of the same sim is not enough to make me decide for the latter.

I have a feeling that modern Intel CPUs beat AMD.

THEN there is the chipset, and supporting Hdw thing too.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Your video card can't address 32 GB of memory. What's its maximum sustained bandwidth to main memory? FDTD cycles through all of memory twice per time step.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Total horseshit.

You have been eating moldy Rye bread.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

I'm sorry, but you do not now, nor will you ever have in the future, a sim circuit where the array requires a 32 GB RAM space to be ran in.

What a ridiculous claim.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox