STP19NM50N SPICE Model Complete

And just look at this sexyness:

These are overlays of the measured and simulated waveforms.

Drain output (DC) curves, measured,

(the scale is actually 10% high, don't worry about it)

Modeled,

Curiously, the capacitances ended up being quite different both from the datasheet (as compared here),

and the parameters I extracted from the measured waveforms. Though closer to the latter than the former.

Haven't tested temperature changes, but there wasn't anything specific to tempco in the original model either, so it can't be worse than that.

Datasheet:

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Great post! Unless my eyes deceive me, it seems that many of your images are a composite of a simulated waveform superimposed on a black V versus C grid, which itself is superimposed upon a oscilloscope photo.

_SPICE - Practical Device Modeling_ (Kielkowski, 1995) contains a whole chapter, "Chapter 6 Modeling the Power MOSFET," which is devoted to MOSFET parameters. But it may be too dated for a STP19NM50N. Anyhow, keep up the great posts. :)

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

Where'd you get the SPICE model?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Mouser has a factory lead time of 38 weeks; worth the wait I guess?

Reply to
bitrex

Digi-Key has 307 in stock, $3.55 ea qty 10. The TO-220 stp19nm50n (or TO-247 stw19nm50n) make more sense to me for high-power applications, also lots of stock. The 1nF input capacitance is a pain, but these are superjunction mosfets, which is helpful for low Coss, etc. Coss drops from 2200pF!! at 5V to 40pF at 100V, helpful for high-freq switching. If you look at what's available for 500, 600 and 650V parts, there are many good choices. Like the 650-volt 230-milli-ohm STP16N65M5, $3.30 at Arrow.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Tim, I've forgotten, did you ever take a look at my RIS-724, a 1.4kV MOSFET Eoss testset?

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Think I had... it's a lot of work though. No need when I can extract that, and dynamic and static characteristics, from just a couple waveforms. Simple breadboard setup, then the engineer's favorite, spreadsheets.

I do need to build a fixture to test reverse recovery (the last item to touch). Breadboard has too much stray to do that. :)

Your other question: I started with the STW21NM50N model, adjusted DC parameters to meet measurements as best I could, and fixed up dynamic parameters with my own capacitance model.

Tim