Storing bits using schmitt trigger inverters

Hello Oliver,

Yes, I do this all the time. Can't draw an ASCII schematic but it's simple: Take two resistors of 1M or more, depending on the speed you want from that 1bit memory. For really high toggle speeds you can dip into the kohm range. Connect R1 to the output of U1A and to the input of U1B. Connect R2 to the output of U1B and the input of U1A. That's it.

If you need the 1bit memory to come up in a defined state at power up you'd have to spring for another FET, a resistor and a cap. Hang a seconds FET if you have to make another 1bit memory.

Now you can play all kinds of tricks such as using an input cap to make it DC insensitive, and so on.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi all

I've got two lines: 1 data, and 1 clock When the clock goes down to up, the data is ok. What I want to do is to have a logic 1 when the data line was 1 for the last two clock "low to high" transitions. If the last two states were not 1, then the output must be a logic 0. At first I though of using two D-Type flip flops (74AC74) in cascade configuration with the Q output of the first one being the input of the second one. Then I "AND" the two Q's and I get the logic 1 I'm looking for.

__ .------------| \\ .--o--. | .--o--. |08 )- Dta -----|D S Q|--+--|D S Q|---|__/ -|> | -|> | Clk ---+-|C R Q| .-|C R Q| | '--o--' | '--o--' '-----------'

(created by AACircuit v1.28.5 beta 02/06/05

However, the room I have on the board is very scarce and I would like to take advantage of the 4 schmitt trigger inverters I have in a 74AC14 chip. This chip is used along with 3 out of 4 AND gates in a 74AC08 to create the above mentionned data line. So here is what I have left:

1 AND and 4 Schmitt NOT. Is there a way to create a "1 bit memory" using schmitt trigger inverters? The schmitt trigger inverters could be replaced by regular inverters if need be. They are used to generate the Data line like this:

|\\ __ Q1 o---|S>O------| \\ |/ |08 )---. |\\ .---|__/ | __ Q2 o---|S>O--' '--| \\ |/ |08 )- Dta __ .--|__/ Q3 o-------------| \\ | |08 )---' Q4 o-------------|__/

(created by AACircuit v1.28.5 beta 02/06/05

I hope I'm clear enough in my explanations, please do not hesitate to ask questions if need be. Thanks a lot for any help.

Cheers Olivier

Reply to
OBones

But certainly NOT good engineering practice. Reliability in a production environment would be zilch.

...Jim Thompson

above

thereof).

make

biased

;-)

...Jim Thompson

Keith Williams skrev:

above

thereof).

make

biased

how about: Assuming the gates in a package track, make an rc oscillator with one of the schmitt triggers in the package and lowpass filter the output, you now have a dc voltage right in the middle of the "eye" ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Sure. Bias the schmitt trigger in the hysterisis zone. Give it a kick above the hysterisis to get it to a '1' and below for a '0' (or inversion thereof). When it settles back to its bias point it will retain that level. One can make bistable, monostable, or astable multivibrators using a schmitt triggers biased appropriately.

--
  Keith
Reply to

make

biased

Sure. My intention was to point out that these are all really the same circuits, biased differently. A device designed as a "schmitt trigger" won't have a wide, nor stable (predictable), hysterisis zone to so easily bias. They'll oscillate rather well though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Thanks for this info, I'll dig into that. Considering the explanation of what I want to do, does this usage of the schmitt triggers sound plausible to you?

Reply to
OBones

above

thereof).

can make

biased

Good idea, but I prefer not to rely on unspecified parameters. My bet is that it would take a pile-o-money to get the necessary parameters specified.

--
  Keith
Reply to

My favorite fix for situations like this is to make a "daughter board" with pins that fit an existing "socket" pattern on the original board.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Oliver,

Well, I only explained how to make a 1bit register since you asked for that. It would require some thinking but most likely you can do a lock-out if your "data valid over two clocks" is violated, using just Schmitt inverters. However, since that usually requires some added RC the space of the extra parts might be the same as one more chip. You can get logic such as CD4000 and 74HC in TSSOP which is really small.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Oliver,

Consider TSSOP. They are way smaller than SO.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Oliver,

Yes. For these you really need to consider an investment into hot air soldering equipment. Although I did solder them successfully with a Weller ETS tip. Easy on the coffee before trying that ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

[ASCII schem. snipped]

Just put the whole schmear in one little CPLD or FPGA or something.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

make

biased

I understand that. The thing is that I have the space for two SOIC14 chips. So maybe I should look into changing the gates I'm using to get the "data" line to be able to use only two chips. Does anyone have an idea on how to do that? I'll think about it too, but just in case someone has ideas.

Reply to
OBones

But way harder to solder manually...

Reply to
OBones

Hello Rich,

And then watch the ammeter peg and the battery being slurped dry in no time ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I know I could do that, but the cost of getting a development system for this cannot be justified. This is a "hobbyist" project, and I'd rather make this with regular logic.

Reply to
OBones

The Xilinx CoolRunner II parts seem to be pretty low power, though I've not used one.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Hello Keith,

Yes, once in a while you see one that isn't a power hog. Like the old Intel series. But usually they are. The other problem is that the cost of the BOM would increase by one to two orders of magnitude in this case.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg