STM32F103C8 - the Boot0 pin

At 50 MHz it could still be possible... of course the benchtop scopes have 1..2 Gs/s and do use the Fast ADC + FPGA + sample memory method. (with a processor for the user interface)

Reply to
Rob

Yes, and the price tag isn't all that bad for lower end benchtop models. But it seems if you take the entire user interface off the scope and use a USB interface to a PC the price goes UP!

--
Rick C

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

That is probably due to comparison of devices from different generations. At some time, fully digital scopes were very expensive and the devices with USB interface to a PC were developed to remove the cost of the user interface hardware and make them affordable to hobbyists.

But technology kept progressing and hardware kept getting cheaper (due to volume production for other devices like mobile phones, tablets etc) and now the standalone benchtop scopes can be produced for again less money than those (small volume) USB devices. When new USB devices would be developed, they probably again would be cheaper, but there is little point to do so now, as the lowcost benchtop 300 MHz storage scopes now cost less than a 2-channel 30 MHz analog scope with no storage cost

25 years ago, even without considering inflation.
Reply to
Rob

People don't buy attached scopes because they want to save money. They buy them because they reduce the clutter on your work bench and are infinitely more portable. At least that's why I want one. It just bugs me that the price is so much more for a good quality attached unit.

I don't think your cost analysis holds water. Both types of scopes are redesigned very few years. I don't see any reason why there would be a "lag" in the reduced cost of attached scopes.