sticky back tie-wrap squares - alternatives?

In my experience, those sticky back tie-wrap squares never stay stuck for very long. Other than expensive magnets (which only work on metals), are there any other good alternatives out there?

I am tired of opening panels and seeing all the wires neatly tie-wrapped to of these squares, only to see the square hanging in free space because the adhesive didn't hold. Even with no, or very little, force applied.

They just don't stay stuck. Worst invention ever?

Reply to
mpm

Hot glue.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

3 M makes a really strong double backed tape that would probably work. But you would have the problem of taking off the existing db tape. Maybe 3 M could tell you who makes these tie wrap squares using their tape. 3 M VHB

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Can you screw into the mounting panels?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Two holes and a TyWrap?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

In my experience, the damned things will never come off.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've resorted to these...

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Some of the newer 3M "stickies" work on just about anything _except_ plain wood. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

They are not meant to hold a guy in a hard hat to the bottom of an I-beam. It ain't superglue.

double sided foam tape is still in use in a lot of COTS applications. Foam tape backed tie mounts do as well.

But you are not supposed to hang ten pounds on the things.

Buy them without the foam mounts and utilize your own adhesive.

Better scratch up that nylon though, cause it does not like to take to adhesives very well.

We had these little Aluminum clips that we epoxied into the chassis. The loop for the tie wrap was a sheet metal press induced shape, so it had sharp edges which kept the tie wrap from slipping once placed and tightened. They are like a couple pennies each.

Hell, they even used 5 minute epoxy to fix the things until I showed them how poor a choice that was.

Reply to
Long Hair

The adhesive pads are crap. ISTR using screw-down versions of those years ago. Cheaper though are food bag ties, 0.45mm steel wire coated in paper or plastic.

I'm not a fan of hot melt glue. It might work for your app but from what I've seen it frequency falls off.

A drop of glue plus a UV setting pen is also an option. The UV sets it instantly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sometimes you're better off with a Velcro-like hook patch, and a furry collar tiewrapped around the vagrant wires. It'll come off when you pull, and stick when you push.

The screwdown variants require a hole, not just a flat spot, and the loose metal fastener (or swarf from the hole) is a nuisance. If I had a hole, I'd lace the tiewrap through it (but maybe it's just that my adhesive-back squares have been in a drawer for a decade, and shelf life of the glue is half a decade).

Reply to
whit3rd

It is far better, IMO.

We used 3 inch wide rolls of it to stick $1000.00 each Eaton power strips over 5 feet long inside of full upright equipment racks. It retains them better than screws or hard mounts and provides a bit of shock absorption as well.

They are in tight once they are attached, and that even after every single outlet and comm link line was attached and tugging on it.

That was the std, traditional type velcro. The new stuff is the "shorthair" variety, and it is what the net IT guys are using to dress out racks these days.

Yeah... It is the best stuff around.

I found a two roll pack of ot at WalMart of all places, and it was only 3 bucks. and there are like 50 segments. 25 grey and 25 black. Best buy I've had for a while of that type stuff.

Reply to
Long Hair

Sticky squares with a dab of epoxy?

Reply to
krw

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 11:24:00 AM UTC-5, Jim Thompson wrote: ...> I've resorted to these...

Thanks Jim,

I added some to my cart, just to have. They require a hole, so not sure it'll work.

(Actually, it's another engineer's design. And every time one of these box es lands in my orbit, these little square stickies are hanging in the breez e.) Personally, I despise these stick-on things. Never did like them, but maybe if they had really aggressive glue as another poster mentioned. I s till have my doubts though.

Anyway, the finish on that build is powdercoat inside and out, which might be the worst surface ever to try and use with these things.

Reply to
mpm

Yes, but only in some places; mostly on the backplane (and there are better solutions for that than stickies).

The cabinet interior sides are the issue, and it's NEMA-4, so drilling or punching presents additional problems.

I'm realizing that some engineers are just lazy. Stickies are the easiest way out. If it stays stuck long enough to get off their bench and back to the customer, or stock, it's good enough for them. In other words, they just don't care.

Sad.

Reply to
mpm