Stepper motor wiring + datasheet

Hi !

I found one old Step Syn, stepper motor on the junk yard. It's quite bit and this is his data:

SANYO DENKI. "STEP-SYN" Type: 103-820-0241 IBM P/N: 6838068 Lot No. 8504 Made in Japan

DC : 4.5V Current: 1.4A

6 wires //------------------------ Colours of the wires:

Blue White blue Red White red White Black //------------------------ Resistance( on 200 Ohm scale ):

Blue White blue = 06.7

Red White red = 06.7

Black Red / Red white = 03.6

White Blue / White blue = 03.6 //--------------------------- I am using Schmalzhaus Easy driver stepper motor controller that is connected to my Arduino board. This motor controller board uses 2 pairs for wires, A B / A B. Sso according to the measurements, Blue / white blue and reb / white read should be the right ones. What about Black and White wire ? How should i use them ?

Btw. is this really 6W motor or am i missing something.Am asking this because it's quite bit ( like tennis ball in diameter ).

One more thing...Can i use 5V power supply or must i use exact predefined voltage level ?

GM

Reply to
gm

Try putting the part number and maker's name on google's search service. Sanyo Denki is a well known & respected manufacturer, so you should have some luck. Four leads on your driver suggest it's for bipolor drives. The 6 leads on the motor suggest a unipolor device.

Hul

gm wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Den onsdag den 24. juni 2015 kl. 23.32.29 UTC+2 skrev Hul Tytus:

you can use a bipolar driver for any stepper,

either use half of each coil, black-red, white-blue or use the coils in series, Blue-Whiteblue, Red-Whitered

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

  • Exactly what i thought from the colors only: Black is CT winding one, White is CT of winding two.
  • Let the Black and White wires float. For full drive, one should use
10V as the nominal is 5V from CT to a given end. If you want faster movement under load,you may need up to 50V source on a current limited basis (1.4A).
  • Whatever you want; just limit current.

Reply to
Robert Baer

that's kind of hard on a reluctance motor - add some shunt diodes I guess.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

----------------- I have started one test program ( arduino sketch ) and the stepper is spinning at cca 2 circles in one second. I didnt set any delays. Is there a solution how to control / speed up the rotation ?

My final project will use back and forth motion and variable speed.

Btw. stepper is controlled over schmalzhaus easydriver and power supply is 12V / 2A

GM

Reply to
gm

The motor uses 4.5V applied to the center-taps of the coils, but you apparently have a bridge driver (probably internally current limited) so your 12V actually applies 0.7A of current to two half-coils in series in this configuration. Any less current, gives less torque than the motor rating. Unless the driver includes current limit resistors, you want to add those (3V at 0.7A means about 5 ohms, 5W resistor). Otherwise the stepper might be fine, but the driver will get warm. Your power surges, too, are going to be a problem for some/most 12V sources, bear in mind that motors work fine on unregulated power (but if you make glitches, other electronics will misbehave).

Reply to
whit3rd

Unless the driver includes current limit resistors, you want to add those (3V at 0.7A means about 5 ohms, 5W resistor). Otherwise the stepper might be fine, but the driver will get warm.

*** This is exactly what happens. The chip on the stepper driver is very hot ( after cca 1 hour of work ).

*** What else can i use ?
Reply to
gm

es,

the easy driver is a constant current switching driver, it doesn't need any resistors, but 700mA per phase is the optimistic rating for the driver with good cooling

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The 'cur adj' knob on the driver board comes preset to 110% of your motor's rating; back it down a quarter turn, would be my first suggestion. The chip power-handling efficiency is good, but it's steering more power than your motor really is rated for, until you adjust that setting.

Just be aware of the fact that switching of currents will add noise to the power supply, and take precautions if any part of your design needs low noise. If this were a linear power supply, I'd recommend using the filtered power (the regulator input, about 16VDC, not the output 12V).

Reply to
whit3rd

If the stepper was good for 1.4A unipolar drive, 0.99 A bipolar drive won't overheat it, but it may stress the magnets,

--
umop apisdn
Reply to