Steel melter for forty bucks? Needs a KW dc supply. Also $1 100nS 30KV! Also ALSO!

The woods are full of these today:

1000W 12-48V 20A ZVS High Frequency Low Voltage Induction Heating Board

I wonder if they'll levitate an aluminum chunk before meltin git? Bend the coil into cone shape. Probably needs water.

For a 20A supply I'd rectify AC line with an SCR halfbridge dimmer, crank it down to 48V. Or maybe a cheap 220:120 kilowatt xfrmr hooked backwards. Those "international voltage converter" big transformers aren't too expensive, especially if they're free in your garage junkpile.

---

AHA, 30KV fast-recovery rectifiers are suddenly cheap! Also 30KV ceramic caps. It may finally be time to build a multi-megavolt voltage multiplier ladder three feet long, stepping up the output of a flyback. At 60Hz your many-stage multiplier is lame, but 15KHz is very different. First need a pipe full of xfrmr oil. That, or a one-meter hollow metal sphere, to suppress arc breakouts. (Hollow 1M plastic sphere, or balloon-paper- mache, covered with foil adhesive tape. Oil-pipe version is probably cheaper.

Search eBay for $1 100nS rectifiers from china:

2CL2FL 15kv 100mA 2CL2FM 20kv 100mA 2CL2FP 30kv 30mA

I wasn't aware of these parts above, just the far more expensive HVCA parts 50nS, like UX-FOB, hvca co. now being bought by Dean Tech Inc.

---

AHA^2 !!!

Ebay is also full of ultrasonic cleaner replacement pcbs and trans- ducers, which if 100W and operated in air while pointed upwards below a metal reflector, can levitate styrofoam beads taken from a beanbag chair. Yaroo indeed. Search on:

ultrasonic 120v driver transducer

Probably the above will cause tinnitus in humans after a time unless earplugs. Might make dog head explode, mice head incinerate.

---

aha^23 !!!

8KV DC supplies, $3 just snip off the carbon fiber tuft

Needs 12Vdc 70mA, they put out 10 uA or so (60uA when shorted.)

Make some 1990s "Pika-shoes" sneakers with thick soles and KV power supplies, deliver electric handshakes. These actually work fine down at 9V. Hook many in series inside a wizard staff, to actually raise hair or kill iPhones (each would need its own floating independent battery of course.) Or just use them for general HV apps, since they easily vary the HV output in proportional to DC supply volts. Make a three-dollar PMT driver. Make lots. Now just need $3 PMTs array for private neutrino telescope in basement for seeing nude stars with outer garments removed.

Neg ion generator 12Vdc (actually 8KV output unloaded)

Also:

Thus Spake Screaming Sun

ALso:

Luke Squanchwalker

Naaants inkenyaaaaaaaaaaa ma-bageeeeetee, Baba!

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com

amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-762-3818 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci

Reply to
Bill Beaty

One seller of that inverter says water cooling is needed. I'm going to get one- looks like fun. I have a ferroresonant telecom power supply that needs a workout.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Might want to check, the original designer of that was retailing them west of 80$. I was holding off at 80, but was watching it. Never know these days when a product is a clone of a clone.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

.com:

t of 80$.

a product is a clone of a clone.

the schematic is simple, roughly something like this:

ction_heater/royerIH.gif

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Sat, 21 Nov 2015 13:31:50 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Beaty wrote in :

Oh that is way cool, now I can finally melt my Plutanium.

Mm, I got 3 x 7V @ 20A meanwell switch mode supplies in series (for cryocooler) set to 8 V = 24V @ 20A = 480 W, nice for a solder pot?

What if I melt uranium marbles? ;-)

Oh man, got to get these

WHAT?? Can't hear ye

Ultrasonic drilling:

Jan Panteltje

eaty

5

pEQsAQILw

ooler)

this guy did it:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2015 06:50:50 -0800 (PST)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

Very nice, watched all those videos, Lipo powered!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

yoc=

Cr

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:40:37 -0800 (PST)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

I think he makes that error with the alligator leads (from China too possibly), at that current those drop several volts, on the ebay sellers page it says 'beware of slow rizing switchmodes, goes bang, and: too low voltage kills it (no oscillation).

He was heavely loaded because he already had the load (piece of metal tubing) in it when he switched on.

I may perhaps order one... Just to bake fish on the ocean and recharge via solar panel.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

e:

se

cr=

7hP=

ibly),

bang,

ing)

yeh, if it doesn't start it is a dead short

the schematic is very simple, you can probably find most of the parts in your pile of parts

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Nice, thanks.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2015 11:34:45 -0800 (PST)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

Ordered one... Did not have the MOSFETs and caps...

What I do not quite understand is that the solder pot guy uses a carbon container, and heats that up. is that not wasting energy? I would use a glass or some other non-reacting container and the 150 kHz RF will melt the solder by itself?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ge-=

AAO=

ontainer, and heats that up.

RF will melt the solder by itself?

it isn't carbon, it is fiberglass insulation normally used to wrap exhausts

The container is a piece of iron pipe, induction heating works best with iron, I'm not even sure it will melt solder directly

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In the video I saw, he switched the crucible to graphite, not an uncommon material for crucibles. Small pieces of anything are not easy to induce large currents in. The crucible is the right shape to get the maximum currents in while the raw stock is not.

--

Rick
Reply to

Trivia: I designed and built a custom induction heater, which was sold to LANL, "definitely for not melting things". Nevermind that their "susceptor" was made of tantalum, with a hole in the bottom and a lever arm to plug it. :-)

Not really sure what they'd be building, this day and age. Guessing they have to keep things fresh and rebuilt, from time to time, so that includes the practical side of handling such elements.

Supposedly, plutonium is one of the most fascinating, rich, and challenging metals to handle, metallurgically speaking. Pure, it has something like five solid phases (between absolute zero and melting), huge expansion rates (several %) between transformations, and forms useful alloys with lots of elements. Gallium being the most common, which stabilizes one of the phases well enough so it can be cast and worked without fracturing into a million toxic pieces, or cracking the mold.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

it isn't carbon, it is fiberglass insulation normally used to wrap exhausts

The container is a piece of iron pipe, induction heating works best with iron, I'm not even sure it will melt solder directly

-Lasse =======================================================================================

He used an iron pipe cap in the solder pot, but switched to carbon for melting aluminum. I'm sure he wouldn't waste a more expensive graphite crucible on a solder pot. Reading some of the ebay listings for zvs drivers, they mention that the crucible or work piece diameter should be less than 1/3 of the coil diameter to keep from overloading the driver, but in the ebay videos it looks to me like his solder pot and graphite crucible are over that, approaching 1/2 of the diameter. Is it just a matter of current limiting the dc supply, or is he risking the output transistors (or is my calibrated eye crooked :-))?

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2015 12:55:52 -0800 (PST)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

I dunno, it melts silly-con:

So currents are induced, and that heats it. My only Xperience with RF heating till now is this: In my 250 W 40 meter linear in the sixties (tube, 1kV) I tried a screwdriver in the tank coil, and it sure heated up. I also put (oops) a neon bulb in the tank coil, and then it lit up, after a few seconds it lit up REALLY bright. Too bright, I switched off, dreamt of lasers that night... My precious RF (rare at hat time) transistors in a metal cigar box next to it proved dead later, induced current?

There it is, and that was so long ago. Cannot wait to try some other stuff, enrichment (uche) of Xperience so to speak.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2015 15:26:56 -0600) it happened "Tim Williams" wrote in :

Yea, these days every kid has his own nuculear reactor I think. Mr Kim's hobby too.

I think the Uranium in my Uranium marbles is not depleted, so in theory most isotopes should be there, I do not think there is enough conduction in those marbles (or any other Uranium glass) to get it to melt in that thing. But it would be different with Uranium ore. There is a slight weight difference between those isotopes, but separation seems difficult, ultra centrifuge hexafluoride in steps. OTOH I remember a story from somebody who started with radium from old clocks, and the stuff got so hot in the end it got out of hand, they had to decontaminate the neighborhood.

Make your own RTG?

I see many sites that gave details of this have been 'falsified' to give the wrong setups / info.

That would not help against a gov determined to make a b*mb, but maybe against 10 year olds trying one.

When I grew up US boasted so much about the bomb that the blueprints (the correct ones) were in every comic I tell you.

So ;-) As a kid I went to an exhibition I think it was in Schiphol airport where they had everything from bubble chamber to those robotic arms manipulating the stuff. Radium in that time was used to light up light switches, watches...

I am still alive, was not so dangerous after all? later I worked so and THOSE guys were careless, lots of contamination happened in that place. Scientists are _not_ careful, trust me (tm).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:15:27 -0500) it happened "Carl Ijames" wrote in :

If you current limit then the voltage may drop below 12V and oscillation stops (the seller says).

You can however do cycle by cycle current limit, and that is absolutely something i will add, small current transformer in supply line , trigger flipflop, cut power (series MOSFET). I do that in the ultrasonic driver the same way. In fact I will after some initial test probably drive it with the same PIC circuit. And probably report here (an other Xperiment).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

this one will run off the mains.

pity about the chinglish.