Spicing pcb traces

My new pulse generator has more trigger jitter than I'd like, so I'm investigating the front end. There's a fast comparator that gets the external trigger, makes differential PECL out, a DPDT switch for edge inversion, and that goes into the diff clock input of an FPGA. The layout is mediocre: see the red traces.

LT Spice doesn't (yet?) include the Analog Devices comparators in its library, just the slow Linear parts, so I fudged the PECL driver from discretes.

I think that Spice is pretty good for analyzing PCBs as long as the traces aren't long enough to be very lossy. This is a sim of the original design

and one with some possible kluges

Both are probably realistic, or at least useful. Simulating a board with longer traces would probably require using the lossy transmission-line model and tweaking that to match a TDR measurement, which would be a chore.

The dilemma now is that I don't know if the Xilinx FPGA will do that

100 ohm differential termination. The documentation is not clear. Apparently what one does is ask the compiler to please do it and see if it's willing. We'll try that.

lunatic fringe electronics

as long as the bank voltage is correct for the io standard Xilinx can do diff_term you just need to enable it. Termination still works if the voltage is different, e.g. using LVDS inputs in a 3.3V powered bank but it might not be 100R

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Can't you add your on termination resistor? You can hone it to match trace impedances.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Unfortunately, the diff pair is into a 1.8 volt bank. Don't blame me, I'm not the FPGA designer. I think there were other reasons for that choice.

The comparator is full-swing 3.3V PECL, so I added the 100 ohm pack to make 50 ohm sources and bet into the receiver common-mode range. But we gave up swing so probably compromised jitter.

lunatic fringe electronics

It might be possible to solder a tiny resistor onto the micro-vias under the FPGA. Last resort!

Under-termination (too high a resistor) would add some overshoot, which would be good to sharpen up the rise time and equalize trace losses.

The system is theoretically source terminated, but the simulated waveforms at the FPGA are much nicer with termination.

Some of my jitter is likely caused by going through the FPGA, which is doing some other stuff and may have crosstalk and ground bounce and such. I didn't have room to do all the trigger logic with discrete logic.

lunatic fringe electronics

that's on the guy that drew the schematic ;)

1.8V is the correct voltage for LVDS on HP inputs, 2.5V for HR inputs

but just try, I've only seen some Xilinx guys say that running LVDS inputs* will work at any voltage that termination just isn't characterized

*LVDS outputs turn off when the bank voltage goes about ~2.9V on a Zynq
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The pcb design is frozen?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Well, we've built a few rev A boards and we're finishing up the uP code and the FPGAs and the display/web pages and such. There are a couple of small kluges, but we can probably sell rev A. But I definitely want to do a B soon, and track down and kill that jitter somehow. I'm seeing around 7 ps RMS through the whole box, and I wanted 1 or maybe 2. Well, 5 maybe.

This pulser has a gorgeous output stage, and the SOT89 fast PNPs and phemts are all discontinued. Bummer. So I'll have to redesign that part some day anyhow.

I'll send you one when it's working right.

lunatic fringe electronics

Your tools don't have a PCB signal quality simulation?

Wonder if the switch has an IBIS model.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

DNLS350Y and DPLS350Y. SOT89, active, instock. Use to beef up SiC gate drive and dissipate heat in place of the gate-driver IC, for high frequency pulse rate. Let the driver provide 1A (Rbe=0R68), and these fast SOT89 BJTs provide 4A or more.

OK, thanks!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Alas, too slow for my circuit, and the phemts that they drive are EOL too.

I am using BFQ149 5GHZ SOT89 PNPs to drive the departed Avago/Broadcom phemts. We bought 12K of the PNPs so there's no rush to redesign, but I am developing a new GaN output stage anyhow. That's sort of my hobby, pulse generator output stages. (This is not the SiC high voltage thing; that's another product.)

Sot89 is a great package but looks to be increasingly rare.

You'll like it. It's beautiful.

lunatic fringe electronics

No, I don't have tools for that.

A real IBIS-type sim - comparator, traces, polarity switch, traces, FPGA - would be a big deal. The Spice model was an easy Sunday afternoon thing. My FPGA folks preferred that I use the crossover switch, rather than doing a programmable inversion inside the FPGA. After lunch I'll ask them why.

The DPDT trigger polarity crossover is a TI USB switch. Some of these digital bus switches are really fast, cheap analog multiplexers that work great for routing logic with basically zero prop delay.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

??? Altium can do it in a couple hours. :-|

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

??? We don't run Altium!

I don't see an IBIS model for ADCMP561 or TS3USB30. Haven't looked at Xilinx.

tirsdag den 2. april 2019 kl. 01.20.05 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Demo I saw, FPGA doing video camera stuff, took seconds. As for SPICE calcs, depends entire on setting choices.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Since it's at the end of the line, it's the model that I need the least.