SPICE model for a spark plug?

I know

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That voltage is _after_ the HV finally breaks-over. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

On Russian-made cars you never know. I remember one journalist who was transferred to Russia who reported about his experience when buying a car there. They had exactly three cars at the dealership, all the same type Lada (essentially a copy of an older Fiat model), in three different colors. Two wouldn't start and the third had a flat tire (in the show room!). So they bought the one with the flat tire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It was a copy of a Fiat 124 sedan, including the reliability. LADA is a Russian acronym for "Fix it again, Ivan". ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

East Germany but close enough ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The throttle is not completely closed. It is at idle. Plenty of air enters the cylinder to measure the compression.

Yes. You havn't explained why the cylinder pressure is low at idle.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

read the manual for a compression tester some time

I did, on a gasoline engine the throttle is closed so very little air enters the cylinder it has be that way to get the right fuel/air ratio

Diesel engines don't have a throttles but they don't have ignition either

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A friend's brother had the station wagon from Lada. It came standard with a crowbar included. IIIRC the car gave him a lot of grief.

Meantime Fiat had moved on to more modern cars but those could have issues as well. A friend had Fiat Mirafiori (131?) station wagon and he called his "Mirafrusti".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The only common element was the body, all the running gear and interior was of Russian origin.

Remarkable story about reliability. My experience (1970s) was very different. They were built like the proverbial, designed for cart tracks and a bullet proof engine too. They had chain driven overhead cam with a

5 bearing camshaft. The only backward part was the alternator had an external vibrating reed style regulator!
--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

The manifold is at vacuum because the engine is having to pump the air past the closed throttle. If you have 15 inches of manifold vacuum, your 8:1 or 12:1 or whatever compression ratio produces only 17/32 of the peak pressure that it would with the throttle wide open. Ratio is the same, intake pressure is less -> peak pressure is less.

That's why cars in neutral don't idle at the rev limit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Throttle. Throttle. Throttle. It doesn't matter if the compression ratio is constant. If you don't have much air to being with, you won't get much pressure at the end.

Smarter every day. Anything I can do to keep my car away from Candian Tire is good.

Good discussion. Thanks.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

IRC, nothing like 20kV

associated with electronic ignition, but it's not an area of expertise for me. Measured by an adjustable spark gap in open air, that was measuring the max V_out the coil could produce. So it can't have delivered more to the c ompressed cylinder content - must have dlivered less in fact.

It was incapable of jumping the gap at all at any wider spacing, so around

6kV was the _peak_ output.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Phil, This is from LTspice Digest #9378:

"Spark Gap

Sun Jun 3, 2018 4:54 am (PDT) . Posted by:

bordodynov

Hello. I developed the arrester models based on the model from analogspiceman. I added inertia, i.e. depending on the speed of the voltage supply, the breakdown voltage changes. I developed (based on the datasheet) the EM90X, EM230X, EM300X, EM350X, EM400XG, EM550X and EM3000XB models. I would like to expand this list with other arresters. Please indicate the types of surge arresters that models are desirable to have.

Bordodynov. "

Check out the "files" section to get the model (I'd guess). ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

son

No, it wasn't. The body was a reinforced Fiat 124, the rest was mostly Russ ian. The Lada is unusual in having a lot of misinformation about it out the re.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The Trabi was a 1950s economy car, a very different animal. Plastic body, 2 stroke engine with 5 moving parts, no fuel gauge etc.

The Lada was a good car when it came out. But it kept being manufactured about 40 years.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've never seen one come with a crowbar. Do you mean a starting handle? They had those, being designed to operate in Siberian temperatures & offroad in the Russian climate, where inability to start the car was sometimes life-threatening.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not a crank like my Citroen 2CV had. It looked like a giant tire iron which was easily suitable to break down a locked front door.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Are they still building them in Egypt?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

being with -> Begin with

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I can't remember. The relevant company is Bogdan IIRC. ISTR they put weird door handles on them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr