Speed Up Windows 7

People using Win7 may find their computer is slow and sluggish. Here are 12 tips that can dramatically speed up Win7:

I found two that had good effect:

  1. Change Power Settings 12. Turn Off Aero Eeffects

Of couse, upgrading to an SSD provides a major benefit also. Prices are coming down, so if you have been holding off because of high prices, now is a good time to take another look.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Have they overcome that problem with the early ones where they didn't tolerate very many overwrites?

Cursitor Doom

Yes, definitely. But SSDs are (in general) VERY intolerant of power failure. In a laptop, you have a built-in UPS, but if you run them in a desktop without an external UPS you risk losing a lot of time and/or work on a power failure. The SSDs have a very large amount of cache RAM, and achieve high speeds by delaying writes to flash. Some of the premium brands are less vulnerable, but it's a very widespread problem.

You have been warned.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The trend seems to be ever higher densities and more errors fixed with extensive real time error correction.

Don't know if it's true, but I read that the difference between two data values can be as little as 15 electrons buzzing around in that memory cell.

The solution seems to be to get a drive much bigger than you need and don't put much data on it. User report statistics are unreliable because happy people don't bitch. But the trend convinced me to stick with Samsung. The relative cost is inconsequential compared to the hassle of recovering from a failed drive.

Now that you can get a 500GB Samsung for $70, that's relatively easy. Put stuff that doesn't change on a big spinner and backup frequently.

I found the improvement in perceived performance at the user interface level worth the risk. The oft-mentioned boot time is stellar, but inconsequential except for a laptop.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a long time since I tested the UPS.

Reply to
Mike

Steve Wilson wrote in news:XnsAA2AB57DCC7CCidtokenpost@69.16.179.23:

Yeah, just do not take the machine online. They can be immediately taken over.

Not a bright move. Other speed ups would be to have another volume onto which you place your swap file, managed by user, not windows, and not dynamic, but of a fixed size. Then, turn off the one on your main drive.

The only reason to keep Windows 7 is if you are in a lab running hardware and still need to make hard hook attachments to it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q8dreg$odn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Wow... how can you really be so ten years behind the curve with everything?

SSDs have been basic main drive installs into laptops for years now.

Apparently, the industry and the gamers think they work just fine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

About 41% of the Windoze desktop and laptop machines currently run Windoze 7: or 33.4% of the world Windoze machines: or 26.8% of the Windoze machine in the USA: I don't think all those Win 7 machines are going to disappear overnight after Jan 14, 2020.

Drivel: I'm still running XP on my office and home desktops. I just upgraded my "beater" laptop from a Dell something XP laptop that I beat to death by bouncing it around in my car, to a Dell Latitude D620 Vista laptop that I just inherited from a customer. I also have some older XP and Win2000 laptops solely to run ancient Motorola radio programming software.

What is a "hard hook attachment"? I'm not familiar with the term.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Long since. The majority of problems with early ones were slightly dodgy controller implementations that would very occassionally go haywire. It is still a bad idea to defragment them or keep on incessantly running speed tests but in normal use they are entirely reliable now. I favour Samsung for my highly incompressible data as they offer the best price performance. YMMV

It depends how aggressively you allow it to use the memory cache. The default settings coupled with Win7 file system should be safe enough most of the time. I have only ever had one SSD hard fail on me and it was serving as a RAID configured cache disk fronting a large spinning rust one. I lost almost nothing when one day it decided not to respond at boot time. I admit that I was lucky there.

If you allow maximum speed delayed writes then you absolutely have to have a UPS so that there is time for an elegant shutdown and memory caches to be written to the SSD. It matters less if you are using the SSD for disposable scratch file storage but it is asking for trouble to use aggressive cache settings without a trustworthy UPS.

If you really don't care about long term storage and want the fastest biggest scratch drive then a RAID0 array of matched drives runs like the wind but lose one of the pair and you lose everything.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

About two years ago the 1 TB HD in my HP desktop failed. I was about to replace it with another one when I realized that for about $20 more, $75 total, I could get a 256GB SSD. I looked at how much I actually used, concluded 256GB was fine, and that's what I bought. The boot speed up was huge, reduced by about two thirds the time, boots in maybe

15 secs now. That's the main improvement for me, for other uses it seems about the same, but that fast boot is very nice.
Reply to
trader4

That means, if you started from scratch, you had to go thru the painful, hours long install of the OS and all of the apps.

Or did you take the easy route and PartMagic clone it?

Reply to
Robert Baer

The disk was failing, but still working enough. So, I copied my user stuff off it, then used the HP system restore back to as shipped to re-install the OS. That would have been fine, except that it shipped with Win 7 and I had upgraded on 10. And that would still be fine, except there is some bug in applying the Win 7 upgrades. The HP got it back to as shipped, the first couple updates went fine, but then it installed a new updater and then refused to update anymore. I searched the web, found a lot of other people having exactly the same problem, with no solution, including from those that contacted MSFT. So, after a lot of wasted time, I finally realized there were subsequent MSFT updaters, I located a later one, applied that manually, and then when I tried to apply updates it went chugging right along, no more problems. So, updated Win 7, then did the 10 upgrade, all went fine. I guess maybe I could have tried to go right from the early version of Win 7 to 10, but maybe that wasn't possible, I don't remember.

Reply to
trader4

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:56af6b15-17b0-4b8a-90b6- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

OMG just when I already thought it was really bad!

That was a joke, right?

I'd rather have a machine that finishes my compile job faster. That would mean it would be one of those fast boot machines as well, but that is not where I would put the gauge on performance. Sheesh.

My Xeon/Quadro screamer is for 3D CAD rendering. It boots in about 9 seconds, but that is not what I look at.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Robert Baer wrote in news:0ALqE.181413$ snipped-for-privacy@fx23.iad:

windows-

Or the even easier route of booting a Linux Live stick and copying the entire drive over. Zero dollars. I am sure that will get understood. It is one of the zero brain idiot's favorite words.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:bb4801c9-148c-4beb-88b4- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Windows 7 has been EOL for years now.

Do you even know what that means? Oh, that's right... you know everything, right? But then, we are talking to an idiot who uses his laptop for emails and Usenet trolling and touts a fast startup as the only feature of his computer that he cares about.

One can DL the 1809 ISO for Windows 10. Anything else and you will spend more time updating.

I guess you never did the reinstatement/installation reversal thing to get rid of the bad updater. But that would fail too. Oh that's right... Windows 7 is no longer supported. WAKE UP!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Food for thought

There may be thousands of Youtube videos on Win7. Here are two that explore the possibilities. Rather long and drawn out, but there are some gems hidden in them:

Why I stopped using Windows 10 | 8 Major Reasons Chris Titus Tech Published on Nov 30, 2018

Should you use Windows 7 in 2019 Chris Titus Tech Published on Mar 25, 2019

Steve Wilson

Where did I ever say otherwise? All I said was that a few years ago I had an HP system where the hard drive was dying. I used the HP system restore to get Win 7 re-installed on the new drive, back to as shipped, then upgraded that to Win 10. Seems everyone here understood that logical process and that it has nothing do with Win 7 being EOL, everyone except you, as usual.

Reply to
trader4

Typical from the moron. Hello? I don't do compiles. You're so stupid that you think everyone uses their PC for compiles, just because you do?

That

PS: I don't do 3D CAD rendering either, fool.

Reply to
trader4

Total bollocks.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Martin Brown wrote in news:q8k9cr $71e$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Not in any way true.

ANYONE who stands there watching his machine boot or sits down with it on his lap tirned off and then boots it crying about boot time, needs psychotherapy.

And I do not use ANY sleep mode. I turn it ON. I turn it OFF. As I walk by. I have other things to do, even if that is getting a coffee or a water or pair of ESD gloves, etc. if I am at the bench.

I do NOT stand or sit there pissing and moaning about boot time on a machine that is decidedly 500 times faster than the XT I started productive computer work on.

I know the psychology.

It is just like smokers claiming to have a physical addiction.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 17 years, starting on non-filters, so I was a heavy smoker, and I did not stand there and let it burn.

I quit cold turkey. Never looked back. A lot of things a man puts on himself as a burden are artificial.

Measuring the boot time of a computer is stupid. It is like timeing a person on how fast he can look up a standard in the CRC handbook. It is just silly to spend your time assessing such things, much less thinking it matters.

Remember... Einstein said that we should not commit to memory anything that can be looked up in a refereence as it clutters the mind. That was back in the days of books. He was correct, however,

100%. But we did not see folks standing around with a book waiting for a question to arise, or crying that the book was upstairs in the other library.

Clean quiet, easy to operate cars have made human beings stupid, and complacent. Just look at the accident and death stats for winter drivers.

Y'all got to casual about the things you are supposed to be paying attention to.

The saying "don't sweat the small stuff." has to be one of the worst things ever said. Sweating the small stuff is what we must do. Bitching about boot time as being one of the things we must sweat is not.

Logistical details and scientific details are two different things. Folks always underestimate time requisites.

I like taking my time. Everything happens one step at a time.

The gazillion steps my PC makes when booting is a drop in the bucket, because I do other things as it boots... when that was ever even an issue. I can energize my machine and be swiping the fingerprint ten seconds later. Sleep mode is even faster, but I do not need that.