Speaking of walls

It seem Britain is about to build a fence in France to keep migrants out of Britain.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Probably less effort than they spent digging the Channel in the first place :)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yes, and as usual it's a pathetic token gesture.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The current advice is, apparently, that lorries going to the UK should not stop within 150 *miles* of the chunnel, in order to prevent people forcing their way onboard.

Back in 1990 there was a drama in the style of "Traffik" which predicted all this: "The March",

However, that used Gibraltar rather than Lesvos and Lampedusa as the staging points.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It needs to be very high, and very beautiful, then it will work very well (very well). You won't believe how well it will work. People from around the world will come to see the beautiful wall and admire how well it works. And it'll be built very quickly at a very low cost because only the best people (hard working and very intelligent) will be hired to build it. And it won't cost the taxpayer a penny - it'll pay for itself.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

No, no, they'll get France to pay for it.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

The British can be unrealistic, but they aren't that unrealistic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You obviously haven't been following the Brexit process :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

html

rom

ell

That was a majority choice, and it was never going to create immediate disa ster. The history of EC popular votes does suggest that the British governm ent will manage to find a way of getting around it. The unreality there was thinking that a "leave" vote would have any effect. As Ken Livingstone sai d, if voting ever changed anything, it wouldn't be allowed.

Getting the French to pay for something is a lot a more immediate, and expe cting them to pay for something that doesn't benefit them is a whole lot mo re unrealistic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Indeed. But some brexiteers are claiming immediate and permanent success. "Look, sterling is going up, so that proves there are no problems"

I have no idea what that means, either in theory or in practice. Currently the reasonable and predictable international statements are: US: the EU is our priority, we'll sort something out with you later Australia: we'll sort out an agreement with you after we've sorted out a deal with the EU Japan: you are in danger of pissing us off and making life difficult for us, If you do that we'll take our money elsewhere. Etc.

As I've said many times before, once the newly politicised people realise that their personal situation is worse and that the touted benefits are illusory, where will they turn at the next election? Does the 1930's Weimar Republic offer a taste?

Add to that the self-immolation of the Labour party and the proposed constituency boundary changes, and after the next election there will be no opposition to the Conservatives. Of course, there will be plenty of internal opposition in the Conservative parry!

Realism in UK politics would be a nice idea.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

BS hasn't considered the possibility of his side losing the war for Globalism. I wonder if he'd be so keen to countenance the abolition of free speech under a world-wide, borderless *Fascist* regime. It's a dangerous precedent he and his Leftie control freaks are setting by proscribing and prescribing what thoughts may or may not be voiced out loud.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Only if you allow the BBC to keep getting away with this spurious nonsense. The ballot paper made no mention of the word "Brexit" at all. The question put before the electorate was basically "do you want to remain in the EU or leave it?" We voted "Leave" the meaning of which ought to be perfectly clear enough to *anyone* - except of course Bill Sloman.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Slowman is impotent... he has no scientific podium from which to pronounce... he mistakenly thinks that wafting from his asshole is a sign that all the world think his utterances matter... they don't... he ought to simply OFF himself... PLEASE !>:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I don't trust any media, so I read the Guardian, the Telegraph and the BBC. I don't, of course read The Sun, The Daily Wail or The Sexpress.

Don't be silly; if you are going to troll, at least make them *good* trolls.

Ask 3 MPs what Brexit means and you will get at least 4 answers.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sounds like a love leter!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Isn't that pretty much what we've already got? Copyright protection laws ar e now so draconian pretty much anybody can be prosecuted for digital piracy - they aren't because few people have enough money to make the rather expe nsive process profitable.

I hadn't noticed that the left was all that enthusiastic about controlling what people said. You can get prosecuted for hate speech once you've said i t, but nobody is stopping you saying what you like - even when what you lik e to say is as silly as your output - and nobody seems to be telling you wh at to say, though your enthusiasm, for repeating the Trump camp's nonsense about Hillary Clinton's health might just be attracting some kind of subsid y, though this would be more likely if you were disguising your partially a little better.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I wonder what Cursistor Doom thinks I haven't understood?

What he doesn't seem to understand is that most other the leave or "don't join" referenda got re-interpreted to make them compatible with what the politicians wanted to do, which was to go in or stay in.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

.

on

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't noticed that he's exactly as impotent as I am. There's no scientific podium around here from which anybo dy can make any kind of announcement would be taken seriously. If anything that was said here had any kind of influence, the podium would rapidly beco me less accessible.

Considering the kind of ill-informed nonsense that Jim is prone to post, th is has to be something of a relief.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

A new unelectable tendency has taken over the Labour Party. They now have a civil war like the one that led to the gang of four SDP split.

Those that do not know their history are doomed to repeat it.

Most politicians I have met of all parties were reasonable individuals and attempting to do the right thing by their constituents. Admittedly they were the ones more interested in science rather than lawyer types.

Unfortunately a cynical public think they are all in it for the money (and a few self serving ones undoubtedly are).

It was a brilliant demonstration of how turkeys can be persuaded to vote for Christmas (Thanksgiving in the US) by cunning rhetoric.

The places that benefited most from EU funding actually voted to leave.

Brexit means Brexit. It is the only slogan they have. It means whatever you want it to mean. The three stooges now "implementing" Brexit cannot even agree amongst themselves what it means or when it will happen.

Now the decision has been made they should damn well get on with it.

Of course. One of them was such a remarkable leader of men that he was stabbed in the back by his best mate less than a week after the Brexit result. BorisJ was supposed to have been a shoe in as Prime Minister.

Poor ex PM Cameron - they really are blaming him for everything now. (not just for Brexit, but also Libya and the rise of Isis)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yup.

Yup.

Yup.

That's what makes me fear for the future. Who will the newly politicised masses trurn to next :(

Yup.

Memorably summed up as "they are like the dog that has got on the bus and doesn't know what to do next".

The Tory party has always been at war with itself, especially over Europe. Previously that has been contained by the threat of a Labour government, but not, I fear, in future.

They should stop fighting each other (but see above comment) and define what it means. What happens when/if it is visibly disastrous is a separate question.

Cameron's idea of leadership always was to ask people where they wanted to go, and then say "let's go there".

Obama took 30mins to suss Cameron before he became PM, and state "What a lightweight"

Reply to
Tom Gardner