SPDT Relay with delay using transistors How to

In short, I have a logic level circuit I need to switch. A very small SPDT relay and small 2-3 second timer would do the job. I don't know where to ge t such a relay or timer, but using transistors and possibly a 555 seems lik e a more reasonable solution.

After getting power it needs to switch after 2 or 3 seconds and then switch no more.

I don't know how to make this work, but would really appreciate some guidan ce in making a solution for this problem.

Here is a crude .jpg schematic of the current circuit I would like to autom ate.

****************************************************** Long explanation for those who are interested in why.

I have a windows tablet pc that has only one micro USB port on it. It uses this port for charging as well as USB OTG to connect USB peripherals. The p roblem is it won't usually charge while in OTG mode. Just applying 5v to th e power lines of the USB port won't make it charge.. To get it to charge, y ou have to short the data+/- lines together. Then as long as you keep power applied to the Power +/- lines it will continue to charge without shorting the data +/-. You can then connect usb devices to the data lines and the P C and they work.

Currently I am using a SPDT switch to accomplish this, but would like it to be on an automatic timer.

The purpose of this is so that I can charge the tablet and use USB devices at the same time. As it is now, I have to plug the usb hub in with the SPDT switch in shorted position and then flip the switch every time I connect t he hub. I want to make it all automatic. It needs to have the lines shorted for a few seconds and then switch in the lines for the USB hub.

Detecting the USB plug in is easy, just use the USB shield and USB ground p in as a switch.. i.e. leave the ground wire disconnected in the USB cable. The shield wire is used to carry ground. When you plug it into the tablet p c it connects the shield to the GND wire (since they are tied together on t he tablet's USB port) and completes the circuit.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
mikeman400

Get a 5v relay and then rig up a simple RC timer and transistor to switch it.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

PDT relay and small 2-3 second timer would do the job. I don't know where t o get such a relay or timer, but using transistors and possibly a 555 seems like a more reasonable solution.

itch no more.

idance in making a solution for this problem.

utomate.

ses this port for charging as well as USB OTG to connect USB peripherals. T he problem is it won't usually charge while in OTG mode. Just applying 5v t o the power lines of the USB port won't make it charge.. To get it to charg e, you have to short the data+/- lines together. Then as long as you keep p ower applied to the Power +/- lines it will continue to charge without shor ting the data +/-. You can then connect usb devices to the data lines and t he PC and they work.

t to be on an automatic timer.

ces at the same time. As it is now, I have to plug the usb hub in with the SPDT switch in shorted position and then flip the switch every time I conne ct the hub. I want to make it all automatic. It needs to have the lines sho rted for a few seconds and then switch in the lines for the USB hub.

nd pin as a switch.. i.e. leave the ground wire disconnected in the USB cab le. The shield wire is used to carry ground. When you plug it into the tabl et pc it connects the shield to the GND wire (since they are tied together on the tablet's USB port) and completes the circuit.

That would work, but I have a bunch of transistors caps and resistors that I would like to learn how to put to use. I am just starting out in building electronics.

I get the feeling that just a transistor or two and couple of capacitors co uld make this work. I just was hoping someone could point me at a project o r could give me some hints on where to find such a project.

Reply to
mikeman400

There are 1001 ways to do what you want. Here is a sketch showing a 555 circuit:

The 555 triggers when power is first applied and it's output goes high for 2-3secs. After that delay the output goes (and stays) low which activates the relay.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

SPDT relay and small 2-3 second timer would do the job. I don't know where to get such a relay or timer, but using transistors and possibly a 555 see ms like a more reasonable solution.

switch no more.

guidance in making a solution for this problem.

automate.

[...]

problem solved. Use your parts for another project.

could make this work. I just was hoping someone could point me at a project or could give me some hints on where to find such a project.

You can do the RC at high impedance and use a darlington or sziklair pair t o run the relay.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are tiny pushbutton switches, like the ones used in front panel controls of virtually everything. Mount one on the USB plug and hold the swtitch while you plug it in.

Reply to
mike

I wonder how shorted together the data lines need to be to satisfy the protocol for charging. Maybe a 4066 quad switch and an RC time constant on the control line(s) would do the job?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice and help.

I have a few ideas and things to try out now. :) Hopefully I can get this working in the next couple of days when I have a chance to get the parts.

Reply to
mikeman400

Sounds like you need a bigger junk box.

NT