spdif pins/wires

Hello,

> > Take a look at this picture, it shows pins for audigy and x-fi elite pro soundblasters: > >
> > ascii version in case picture is no longer available: > > 2 40 > .................... > .................... > 1 39 > > pins seem to be numbered vertically from bottom to top 1, 2, then next column is probably 3 4 and so forth. > > Not sure which pins would be important to make a custom cable. > > pin 5 spdif 0 in > > pin 9 spdif 0 out > pin 27 spdif 3 out > pin 29 spdif 1 out > pin 31 spdif 2 out > > Which other pins would be important ? > > It mentions these SPDIF output pins. 0,1,2,3 > > So that's 4 pins. > > How many audio channels can travel over 1 pin ? > > Also how would these be connected into a cable, should gnd be included or another other pins > > What I am trying to figure out if the X-Elite Pro soundblaster is what I currently believe it is: > > 7.1 Surround Sound Analog outputs > 5.1 Surround Sound Digital outputs > > However if only 4 spdif pins available then how would it achieve 6 channels for 5.1 surround sound digital ? > > I read somewhat 1 spdif connection via normal connectors/cables can carry two audio channels.

" It can carry two uncompressed audio channels of up to 48kHz and 20/24 bits, depending. It doesn't have to carry uncompressed audio though, it's just transmission protocol and data link layer standard. A single SPDIF connection can carry a 5.1 surround audio stream if it's encoded with something like DTS and compressed 4:1, and connected to something that knows how to decode it "

How does it carry two audio channels over this wire ?

What does the wire consists out of ?

Is it literally one wire ?

Or are there two ? A plus and a minus ? Where does there appear to be two metal things involved on the wire a pin and something circular... the circular is maybe ground ?

Does it interleave audio signals over the cable ?

So if there are four spdif pins on the x-fi then why the f*ck does it not support 7.1 spdif over these cables ?!

Seems like a delibrate design to limit this piece of hardware.

Apperently creative labs doesn't really believe or want to support 7.1 surround sound.

A custom made cable and plug might be able to carry 7.1 to the receiver.

Lot's of these units sold, so perhaps this is an interesting commercial endavouer if somebody can make it work.

Not sure if it's totally worth it.

I did complete my experiments with laptop and pc and receiver and speakers etc.

Got everything working they way I wanted.

Have not experiment with spdif but did experiment with hdmi.

There is a slight sound improvement over hdmi... but probably not worth all the effort.

The main reason why the laptop sounded better was probably the surround sound mode.

It was set to 7 ch stereo, which made it sound really loud... plus perhaps dynamic eq and dynamic volume was on on the receiver.

This probably caused 3d positions sounds which are very weak and normally not hearable suddenly hearable which was very interesting for warcraft frozen throne...

All kinds of sounds were noticeable... which would normally probably be too low volume...

So lot's of audio quality is actually being lost by 3D audio technology in games itself...

Not sure what... maybe footsteps... or special sound effects... kinda weird.

For now I like positional audio best for world of warships so will stick with HDP direct.

Another possibility is multi channel 7.1 which would allow audio processing like dynamic eq/volume but this makes it harder to tell how far enemies truely are... bit degrades the 3d position information a bit... cause of volume adjustments.

Thx for the reply.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

" It can carry two uncompressed audio channels of up to 48kHz and 20/24 bits, depending. It doesn't have to carry uncompressed audio though, it's just transmission protocol and data link layer standard. A single SPDIF connection can carry a 5.1 surround audio stream if it's encoded with something like DTS and compressed 4:1, and connected to something that knows how to decode it "

I just looked at the back of the breakout box/console i/o device that came with the x-fi elite pro.

It only has 1 spdif out and there is also an optical out.

So 1 spdif is not sufficient for 7.1 possibly...

If it had two then maybe, then channels would have to be distributed across spdif ?!

Is this actually a common thing that multiple channels are distributed over multiple spdif or does this simply not exist ?!

It's weird though cause the hardware itself/the soundblaster has 4 spdif pins ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

I may have to check the receiver to see how many spdin it can handle...

Checked the denon 1909 it has plenty of inputs for spdif/coax and optical.

But the problem is it probably doesn't know how to handle multiple of time to construct a surround sound 7.1 system.

It expect everything to come over 1 cable is my guess...

This is somewhat unfortunate.

Seems like x-fi was a little bit ahead of it's time... though hdmi standard was being worked on... though perhaps it took some time to develop x-fi as well which was before the standard.

Perhaps electronics industry should take into consideration using multiple inputs to use as a single source of audio, but in combined form ;) :)

Though nowadays with hdmi... maybe it sufficient but in the future maybe not :P :)

Like 32k resolutions or something lol or big colors... whatever must go ah shit my ship just blew up while writing this...

well ok interesting to see it's actually a connection/bandwidth limit probably...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000