Sources for high voltage power supplies?

Hi - I need to find a high voltage power supply. I'm not quite sure yet exactly - but It'll need to be something like +- 400-1000 V DC (I haven't been given exact specs for what's needed yet) and about 150 or more watts. Any suggestions as to what I should get? Thanks,

Michael J. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael Noone wrote (in ) about 'Sources for high voltage power supplies?', on Fri, 18 Mar 2005:

An intelligence transplant. If YOU don't know what you want, how do you expect US to?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

How about one of these?

I think I remember this from a couple of weeks ago - you're saddled with a pack of PHDs who have no clue what they're looking for, so they expect you to come up with a universal supply so they can try _everything_ and see which end their of their ass has a hole in it.

Find the most expensive +800-0--800 supply you can find, double the price, and quote _that_ figure to your bosses. Pocket the difference.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This type of power supply is usually custom made for a specific use. Does your 'group' include any engineers?

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Is a MOT (microwave oven transformer) output center-tapped?

Reply to
Mark Jones

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

I can't find ANY high dc voltage power supplies. My normal electronics distributors don't list anything above about 60V, at least that I can find. Hence the title of my post "Sources for high voltage power supplies?". I'm looking for a manufacturer that makes high voltage DC power supplies, or a distributor that sells them.

And the reason I don't know what I want is because the specs for this get changed every damn week. I started out needing a 0-400, then I needed a 0-

800, then -800-+800, and right now they're thinking -400-+400. But they don't know. The group I'm working with cannot make up their mind.

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael Noone wrote (in ) about 'Sources for high voltage power supplies?', on Fri, 18 Mar 2005:

Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 424,000 for High-voltage DC power supplies. (0.77 seconds)

An application form for the transplant is in the post. Waiting list is currently 80 years.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I don't know, I think being a technician for PhDs can be a very good portion of your education...

While an undergraduate student, I worked as a technician in MIT's Building 20 supporting PhDs doing MHD research.

Figuring out how to understand them and build what they _really_ needed certainly helps me to understand customer's needs today ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Try

Regards Markus Mandl

Reply to
Markus Mandl

Michael Noone wrote in news:Xns961D54FD991D0mnooneuiucedu127001@63.240.76.16:

Ain't supporting academic scientists interestin'? One will come in with a complete set of goals and spec's...and the next one doesn't even know what they want. But, at least I never have to ask: "Would you like fries with that?".

First question I start with is: "What are you doing?" (In a pleasent, inquiring tone!). I find that this is important whether it's the professor with all the details, or the one who doesn't know where to start. Then, see if the details fit the request, or build a set of spec's for the clueless.

My best tool is, with my "helpful" questioning, to let them come up with all the spec's. I frequently find that they are trying to do what has already been done, by someone else. And, a little research will give me the answers, or at least the right questions to put to my customers.

I still can't believe they pay me to do this job.

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Jim,

I'm 59, with many jobs behind me, and they still pay me to play.

I've only had two jobs in my life that I really hated. One was, when I was young, on the farm. My brother and I worked for a neighbor picking up "small", round, hay bails by hand. We did this all the time for all of our neighbors and relatives. The farmer was the type that thought it was better if he could pack all the hay into a bail that the bailer could spin. Needless to say, they were 100 to 200 Lbs each. The first night we came home, whining and complaining about it at supper. Dad just said: "If you don't want to do the work, don't take the money". We went back the next day only because we had committed to it, and he was a neighbor. But never again. The second, was "one day" with a driveway cement crew, when I was in college.

I've worked many physically and mentally hard jobs, but only if I was willing to take the money without complaint. I've always sought out jobs that let me learn, play, and solve problems. Getting paid always seem seconday, but I've always seemed to find places that were eager to pay for that. I have friends, who make a great deal more money than me, but they complain constantly about their work or workplace. They seem the justify it by saying that they need to work as they do, to make the money, so they can do the things the want when they aren't at work. I sometimes want to quote Dr Phil and say: "Hows that working for you?".

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

voltage+power+s

I searched Google with the exact same terms, except with a couple quotation marks. Problem I've been having is that all of the high voltage power supplies I've been able to find are either A. low power (under 50W), or B. perfect, but really expensive ( >1K USD).

Your memory serves you perfectly - same group. Normally the students I work for/with are difficult to work with - but eventually I can always force them to make up their minds. But this time it's even worse - I'm doing this for a group of 2 professors and a number of grad students. We have a weekly meeting - and after every meeting they decided on entirely new specs. I mean they completely redesign everything every single damn week. Those of us working with them are either about to go A. insane or B. homicidal. (or perhaps a little of both). They seemed to think that we could use our large variety of 24V DC power supplies for this task - that somehow I could work some magic and turn +-24V DC into +-800 (or whatever they want any given week) - and though I suppose this is possible - I must admit that it is completely beyond my skillset.

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

You're pretty tough behind that keyboard of yours. I thought flaming was normally only done by little kids - but you have proved that to be wrong. Congrats.

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

Ken Moffett wrote in news:Xns961DAB715231Cqwerty@

24.94.170.94:

If by interesting you mean pure hell - then YES. They're driving me (along with the rest of the people supporting them) completely ape shit insane.

As I explained in another post - something to do with "magic molecules". They want to apply high voltages at various points in channels containing fluids of "magic molecules".

Every week I prod them till they give me exact specs. Then the next week - suddenly they decide that they were wrong and give me new specs - over and over and over... This has been going on for a couple months now.

M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

Markus Mandl wrote in news:d1faja$uel$04$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

As far as I can tell those only go up to 0-300 V DC? I need more than that, unfortunately.

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

At the possible risk of sounding silly...

How about 66 12V batteries? Sealed lead acid cells are rechargable, aren't terribly expensive and can deliver fairly high currents when it is required. Output voltage can be adjusted by adding and removing batteries (66 step adjustment!).

Regards, Alan

--
Alan R. Turner | Live never to be ashamed of anything you do or say.
To reply by email, remove Mr Blobby.

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael Noone wrote (in ) about 'Sources for high voltage power supplies?', on Sun, 20 Mar 2005:

That's not a flame, that's just joshing. If you want a flame, disagree with Fred Bloggs or Steve Walz. Come to think of it, you don't even need to disagree with Fred. Just existing is enough. (;-)

But seriously, these days if you don't Google before asking a question here, you are asking for a silly answer.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael Noone wrote (in ) about 'Sources for high voltage power supplies?', on Sun, 20 Mar 2005:

You could make one for less than $1k if you used toobs and a mains transformer from a legacy scope or audio amplifier in a voltage-doubler configuration. But I don't suppose you want to go down that road.

In that case, you'd better not be trusted with an HV power supply.

If they are changing their minds every week, what is the real pressure on you to provide something? Could someone be winding you up?

You could report that you considered connecting 34 off +/-24 V power supplies in series, but the transformer insulation wouldn't hold up, and see if anyone laughs.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Markus Mandl wrote in news:d1k33i$dhg$00$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

Ahh - When I saw 300.000 I assumed that meant 300.000, not 300,000. Any idea of how much their power supplies cost or where they can be bought? Thanks,

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

01@216.196.97.136>) about 'Sources for high voltage power supplies?', on

doubler

We

entirely

damn

or

hehe good call there.

-

They're pretty irritated with me that I haven't gotten their "plan" implemented yet, even though they just changed what they wanted AGAIN last Wednesday.

and

I have yet to hear any of them laugh... Very serious crowd. Just out of curiosity - why wouldn't the transformer insulation hold up? Not that I have 34 24V power supplies lying around... (though I bet I do have about

10 or so)

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone