Sorta-OT: Movies and Electronic Design

That pisses me off, too. An overspeeded prop sounds completely different.

Probably a library sound, used by lazy Foley artists.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I loved in Galaxy Quest where they disarmed the self destruct, but it still finished the countdown to 1 second before turning off... ;-)

Reply to
Charlie E.

In The Andromeda Strain, the countdown is stopped with 8 seconds to go; someone comments on it not being all that close.

Reply to
Nobody

As a potential bad guy, I'd definitely make the bomb explode at t-10 seconds.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That would be lying!

Reply to
krw

I would let it count down to zero, and keep counting to 42 before it went Joerg. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Landrover tracks visible in the background of medieval battle scenes is pretty annoying.

At the risk of being a spoiler "Dark Star" is one exception to the rule.

It includes the immortal lines "Time for Sgt Pinback to feed the alien".

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

The woman bomb technician in the Fourth Protocol was told to set the delay timing to be zero but look like (I forget value) but since she liked her co-conspirator the bomb was set with a delay fuse timing.

They both come to a sticky end and the plot would have succeeded if she had followed her instructions exactly.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jan Panteltje schrieb:

to get

Hello,

they want to do also experiments in zero gravity, therefore rotation is not possible.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Not to mention that a craft designed to rotate fast enough to produce reasonable 'gravity' would need to be a good deal sturdier --and therefore heavier and more expensive-- than the ISS.

You spin the ISS, bits would fly off in all directions. :-)

And you don't want people in a zero-gravity setup. They just never stop wriggling, messing up the zero-gravity environment.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:19:14 +0100) it happened Uwe Hercksen wrote in :

spacecraft to get

A while ago there was a press conference when the Japanese lab module was coupled to the ISS. A reporter asked: What experiments will be done in the Japanese module? The question was directed to the Japanese expert on the panel, and he stumbled for words, minutes went by, he had no clue. Then finally the NASA representative on the panel rescued the situation by stating something like: "Something will be found in international cooperation." You would have to be a complete idiot to launch a multi million dollar lab with no clue what to do in it.

YES there are good experiments that could be dome at the ISS, but zero gravity is not even one of those. It is just a political project to get some countries on board to make them feel like they have achieved something, for sure there is some business behind it too, and maybe to prevent them from building their own space (weapons).

If you have a rotating space station it is VERY EASY to put some small module outside that does not rotate to do experiments that need that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:45:28 +0100) it happened Jeroen Belleman wrote in :

It is that bad hey :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jeff Liebermann schrieb:

Hello,

no, the spinning speed is not that large. It may take days, but not years.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Blarp schrieb:

Hello,

the howling noise of the Stukas was generated with an extra siren.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Jan Panteltje schrieb:

is not even one of those.

Hello,

some years ago, material scientists of our university here had an experiment about crystal growth in zero gravity. It is too expensive to produce semiconductor crystals in zero gravity, but these experiments resulted in a better understanding of crystal growth applicable on earth too.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Have you noticed that when someone in a movie is driving, and talks to someone else, he always turns and takes his eyes off the road? That's a deliberate "dramatic" trick. Or maybe it's just that all Hollywood actors are idiotic drivers.

The Germans, when they blitzed London, loaded some of the bombs with random delay fuses, all the better to kill the bomb disposal crews.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Kinda like the Ram Air Turbine?

Reply to
krw

I've ridden with enough such drivers to expect that behavior. It's not fiction.

n>>> As a potential bad guy, I'd definitely make the bomb explode at t-10

Reply to
krw

along this line:

That is what you would do.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's so the people watching the movie see their faces.

Or was it that their quality control was so poor that they shipped a lot of duds? A lot of the bombs would never be disarmed, unless they were dug up some time in the future. It doesn't make much sense to waste critical war materials to kill a few individuals who have little effect on the outcome of the war.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell