Somewhat OT: Emails vanishing into a black hole?

Good idea but so far the first contact was usually a phone call. They wanted to make sure whether I thought I can really help them with a design and then they followed up by emailing schematics, EMC test reports and stuff. The email is mostly for former clients who need to contact me again but have lost my email address. Also, I am trying to gradually retire so if someone doesn't write that may be a good thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Around here, it is all fiber, until the last mile where it becomes copper. Some of the cables are over 50 years old. I am dropping my landline because it is so unreliable. It is noisy, and the incoming audio has a bad hum that isn't heard by the other party. The won't fix it, until they convert everything to fiber.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I ask, "Which computer? There are nine computers and three 24" monitors in front of me."

Other times I yell, "I run Linux, moron" and hang up. Three of the computers are running Linux.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My 'landlines' are via Ooma. Thus I am able to block numbers with ease... I block ALL 800 range numbers, plus a large collection of specific numbers. I'm down to probably one spam call a week, which I promptly add to the list.

My cell phone service is via Verizon, who charges an arm and a leg to block more that 6 numbers, then I devised a trick...

I simply add spam calls to my contacts list... but configure such numbers to 'no ring'... all named Zspam(n)... I'm up to 40 such numbers so far ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I get too many '800' calls from the VA to block them as a group. I am dumping the Centurylink landline at the end of the month, in favor of the Magic Jack that only costs $100 for five years dervice.

I've used it for several years, and it works quite well when the internet is up.

I can now get 200 minutes free cellphone service from Freedompop, and a used smart phone for $40.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't get many (any?) 800 calls at all. I just get calls from random numbers. If I don't know the number, and it's out of the area, I don't answer. Simple.

Reply to
krw

I don't have caller ID on my landline. It has sucked since it was installed, and the rate just went up to almost $60 month, for local only service. Two months at the current rate will pay for the next five years of my VOIP service, with money left over.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No landline. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I use the Magic Jack for one, plus I have their app on my tablet computers so I can make calls from hotspots.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not configured at all is a correct configuration, so refusing emails that fail SPF is legit.

If they can't refuse the email instead of dropping, or bouncing it they are amateurs.

Jasen Betts

UCEPROTECT is a blacklist fed by spamtraps, perhaps someone sent you an email with a forged from and you (or someone, or some system) at your IP address, replied.

Jasen Betts

Lots of outfits don't send bounce messages.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sometimes I see a 'Cannot find recipient' bounce message 72 hours after sending an email. But I never experience a black hole like that.

Martin Riddle

Rather their mailservers do this now by default. I doubt if most of them even know how to alter the settings :(

Badly set up SPF records at either end are capable of doing this.

Several of my corporate contacts are behind firewalls that interpret certain ISPs email systems as sending forged emails because parts of the SPF give a soft fail mismatch and bin them with no bounce.

They do this to avoid backscatter of spam bounce messages onto innocent forged email addresses. The bulk of what gets bounced is spam. In the bad old days you would sometimes find your email used this way and get half a million bounce messages in the inbox spread over a couple of days. Now they don't bounce to envelope sender if they think its spam.

It is a real problem because plenty of ISPs and email providers have not set their systems up right so SPF is now worse than useless. It causes too much collateral damage of lost emails for the benefits it provides.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I wonder if it has appeared in the intervening 6 months? ;-)

In cases such as these where an email client is being used, it is useful to see if you can check the inbox via webmail if that is possible. I recently had problems with my ISP-provided mail account (which I use rarely as a secondary account). Nothing appeared in Thunderbird's inbox for the mail account, but all the messages were in that inbox when viewed by webmail.

Changing the IMAP mailserver name and port number in TB solved the problem.

--

Jeff
Reply to