Somewhat OT: Emails vanishing into a black hole?

I think you should check yours like this:

I'd be wanting to know why I'm on those blacklists.

Reply to
John Smith

Suburban Propane isn't my enemy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm, that sure sounds like I am not the only one and the communication method email is indeed falling apart.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I had that happen a lot while I was still with 1&1. They seem to be incapable of policing their own customers when it comes to spam. However, in all cases I received a bounce message which stated that RBL was the reason for rejection.

That is preciscely why I switched from 1&1 to Inmotion earlier this year. No more spam-blocks (so far).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Possibly. I had one client who had EMC issues at a steel plant that was being equipped with US-made control gear. In that case, yes, emails can come from Vietnam. Not reacting to such issues is not something I can or should do.

I do not always have a priori knowledge about who needs to contact me. Recently, for example, a software engineer in Lithuania. Those messages were very important to me in solving another client's problem.

AFAIK they don't do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

It's been a few years since I've experienced any problems, so I don't know what those blacklists are... except planted there by people who get their knickers in a twist due to my politics >:-}

Anyone have problems contacting me?

If you do, simply post here and I'll track down the problem.

My provider, olm.net, _has_ had issues in the past... hosting spammers. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Your provider is hosting at least 30 other domains on the same server so it's not likely to be anything you've done. I would poke the provider by sending them an email and asking about those listings.

Reply to
John Smith

I do not believe in spam cops and such. They often simply block whole IP addresses or even address ranges. That's like expelling all 30 kids in a classroom because one of them misbehaves.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In your case I would probably choose to block only addresses which appear on a list such as this one:

And also from a database compiled by myself of obvious spammers and brute force logins. There is still a small risk of blocking a legitimate email.

Reply to
John Smith

I know people who have 250 emails in their inbox every morning. Not many get answered.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Snowflake mode on. Now you're being racist, it could just as well have been a white, brown yellow or red hole. In fact it went to chill in a specially designated safe space for an indeterminate amount of time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Only one report a month ago but I'd ask them to look into getting off this list as soon as possible.

John Smith

No. It's like making sure that they cannot misbehave in the first place. Blocking address ranges is fine if there are only spambots and hackbots there but no legitimate email servers. Blocking should not remain in place forever because spambots and hackbots do move around and new legitimate email servers start up. So there's always a small risk of blocking a wanted email but that's a risk which currently has to be taken because the alternative is drowning in spam or getting on a blacklist because one of your users passwords was brute forced and your server was used to send spam. Any sensible provider will balance the risk with the rate of customer complaints and the likelihood that their customers need to email places like Seychelles or Ukraine.

Reply to
John Smith

Maybe they got on all sorts of sales mailing lists. I never had that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's probably because you have taken the sensible precaution of not allowing a computer to take your email address from your web site.

It's possibly also true that you don't often receive email from people who think it's fun to email 50 people at once without using Bcc.

Reply to
John Smith

People in far away places do not always know that. I had exactly that happen, a lot, that a whole domain got blocked and I could not send email to people awaiting it. It's bad and it's sloppy IT work.

Which is essence means that email will never even remotely be as reliable as fax.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, that was the purpose. Occasionally someone complains but I figure that of it is too much to read and type in my emails address the issue a potential client has can't really be that serious.

Unfortunately so people do :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd have made the information available via http or https download. Then they can get it wthout going through any email servers at all. Make sure the url isn't hard to explain over the phone.

It's a necessary compromise. Whether it's sloppy or not comes down to individual opinion. It's not good if a legitimate email server gets blocked. Most of my blocking doesn't care about domains, only which IP addresses and ranges have spam or hackbots but no legitimate email servers.

Hard to say what will happen in the future. The need for blocking will reduce if the number of malware compromised computers around the world reduces.

I don't use fax but I always check the calling number before answering the phone. Then I'm ready to scream with laughter at the caller who claims to be from Windows technical services.

Reply to
John Smith
[...]

Just ask them whether they are Windex-certified and what their maximum length ladder is :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I didn't look at all pages on your site but if you don't have a form for potential customers to fill in then you may want to consider one. Include a captcha. You will get almost no unwanted messages. If your own email service can't send to them then temporarily switch to another provider such as gmail. To have all email accounts in one place including gmail use

if you're mostly on Windows for daily work.

Reply to
John Smith