Some of you aren't paranoid, after all!

See what data has been harvested about you on this so called search engine. Some people on this group have a fair amount of personal information displayed and don't even know it.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Lot of misinformation... I'm an electrician (incorrect) with a graduate degree (correct :-)

Wrong street picture, etc, etc... ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

What do you expect from code monkeys?

There is supposed to be an opt-out feature on that website. It was featured on the local news tonight and one woman had a lot of embarrassing things revealed when they looked her up on that site.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Looked myself up, and it had two listings that applied to me. One was very old, and had no useful data. the other had the wrong town, the right phone number, and very iffy data on the rest. Did have my wife's name correct...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Don't feel alone. Mine has no info on me accept the street name which is totally incorrect.

I think it's getting mixed up with some one else..

It did get the region correct how ever.. I just think maybe it may have taken that from the IP address.

Reply to
Jamie

Doesn't even find me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Who said you were paranoid? ;-)

No reference to me, even though they have a lot of "Michael Terrell" listings. It was just a heads up in case someone wanted to remove any or all data.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not much of value, except a pretty nice aerial view of a house I sold three years ago and nothing about my last two residences. I don't think anything else is true, except perhaps generic town information (that I moved from three years ago).

Reply to
krw

I think before I remove my entry, I'll set up a bogus one-time email for that purpose. No need to assist them in completing the many gaps in their information... For example, they have me listed as "female". And nothing current or correct.

I checked a few friends, my brother, etc... that I "know" their info. My guess is it's about 60% accurate on that small sample size. Maybe

75% if you accept old, yet accurate, information as acceptable.
Reply to
mpm

I thought some people might like to 'game the system'. :)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Cell? I still use a landline, Skype or Magic Jack. I don't own a GPS, either. Unless it's in a junk cell phone that I haven't stripped for parts.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Picture of house three doors away, pictures of four people, none of them me, and the guess (I guess) that I am female.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Could not find me! Now that's funny, since all the search engines turn out many thousands of references.

Reply to
PeterD

Nor me.

There are some frighteningly good public record search engines available. But they are pay services, so I'm not worried about nosey neighbors and Usenet miscreants looking me up.

A friend of mine is a private detective and she looked me up just for kicks. They do have some inaccurate information (errors in an old address, for example) but the list is very complete. I'm guessing the errors are due to typos over the course of history.

For a while, the FBI had bad data on me. An incorrect birthplace (wrong country even). When I spotted it at a security interview, the agent went in to correct the entry. It appears that typing the first few letters of the city populates a pull down menu and they just picked the first entry. I'm guessing that this goes on a lot in data entries.

Porsche: If I went any faster, I'd have to eat airline food.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Misinformation is just as bad or worse then correct information. Apply for a job and have an employer check you out and not hire you because of crap that's not true. And you never know why.

Reply to
Wanderer

Would you really want to work for someone so stupid?

tm

Reply to
tm

I was kind of surprised that there are 29 hits on "Rich Grise." One of them is me, but all they have is "Whittier," and my email.

I got an email from my brother's kid, asking if any of the three "Rich Grise"s on facebook is me. I don't even know how to do facebook!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Didn't even find me or my email address - and AFAIK I am the only "dirk bruere" on the Net. With tens of thousands of posts under my own name.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Sure it does. It just leaves out the Schulze part. ;)

My listing gets the right house--really hard since my street address is in my sig--but most of the rest is either wrong or else obvious. They left out various family members--such as my wife--and they even mis-spelled my name. You could do a lot better with Google.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, indeed. But then ... incomplete street address, map/terrain looks like we are living on an ant hill. I mean, there's a lot more info out there right on the web and it ain't finding it. If this claims itself to be the big honking info site then it is IMHO a joke.

Absolutamente. For fun I keyed in the name of a guy I needed to find for a company president today. Yeah, it found him but no phone number or other info for an immediate contact. Then I did a regular web search and had him within a couple of minutes, _with_ phone number.