Solution to television reception problem

Yes, actually. I probably watch about 3 hours of TV per week, so I don't find it to be a good value for me. DirecTV is not an option in this building in any case. Cable is $50. I'd rather save my money for other things.

Reply to
nooneinparticular314159

Nope. Actually a totally overpriced apartment which, until the building was put up in front of me, had one of the best views in the whole city. I just find it rediculous to spend $50/month for something that I can get for free by broadcast, and that really doesn't enhance my quality of life significantly.

Reply to
nooneinparticular314159

Considering all that went before ...

I don't think I got where you live. If you are in the US, you may get what you want by going digital. I'll assume that.

Most areas of the US have begun the digital cutover and a few areas are complete, meaning all stations are available on both digital as well as traditional analog. A digital tuner (set-top-box -- STB for short) costs $200 and up. It will usually work, even with blockage, if you don't mind fiddling with the antenna a little bit. With digital, if the STB can make out most of the 1's and 0's, the picture will immediately be perfect. I have had pretty good luck with an antenna indoors (experimentally only, since I usually use a roof-top antenna; yes, I know you said your antenna must be indoors).

Wal-Mart sells a digital STB. If your Wal-Mart stocks it, then there are digital signals in your area. If you find it doesn't work, you will probably be able to return it if you unpack it carefully. Others will likely have recommendations for an STB. Not all STB's are created equal; I recommend you check that the INPUT required for your TV is one of the OUTPUTS of the STB you want to buy.

The Internet has info about digital TV & STB's. Please return here or subscribe to the "alt.video.digital-tv" group if you have more questions, which is kinda likely ;-)

Good luck.

Reply to
Sal M. Onella

I think the Earth Liberation Front offers their services for this sort of thing for very reasonable prices.

Rube Goldberg is alive and working for Microsoft.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

you need a directional antenna, like a yago or log periodic i.e a larger antenna with many elements.

Mark

Reply to
Mark