Solenoid Valve for gas

Will a solenoid valve specified for "lubricated or non lubricated compressed air" at 0-8 bar work with for example water?

(Also 0 to 8 bar pressure of course...)

Reply to
koma

Probably not well. Is it a pilot type?

--
.
Reply to

I don't think it is a pilot type since it is specified for operation from 0 bar. A pilot type needs some pressure to actually keep the valve closed, right?

It is a spring return on this one.

I just don't understand how it can be specified for gas and not work with for example water? If it is airtight it should be watertight as well? (For a non-pilot type valve that is...)

Reply to
koma

Why can't you ask the place where you got the cylinder?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It will probably work for a while. But using equipment in environments not originally intended may shorten its life.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

OK

Yes

I would try air type valves with hydraulic fluid, but water is a different thing. It's corrosive and not lubricating. You'd do better to find a water type valve.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

use solenoid air valves. They are designed for water because air gets wet how ever, you need to check for the operating temperature of the valve if you plan on passing hot water like we do at work.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

No, not very well. There is this issue of density, gasses at 22 L/mole vs water at 18 mL/mole. Then there is also the issue of viscosity, it involves how much flow you can get through a given size hole. You can get more mass per unit time of a gas through a given size hole than you can get of any liquid; in spite of the

1000:1 density difference.
--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
joseph2k

I'd also seriously worry about bang-bang control, since water isn't (or is only negligibly) compressible - air will do some shock absorbing for you.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

water hammer could do it in pretty quick.

get a solenoid designed for water, mains ones are used in washing machines, low voltage ones in irrigation automation.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen