solenoid driver

Hi I wanted to desig a simple solenoid driver. The solenoid's operating voltage is 6V. The resistance is 20Ohm and inductance is around 60 mH. I want to operate it at 20 Hz 50% duty cycle. The input voltage will vary from 6V to 15V. So i am plannig to use 6V zener to clip the voltage first of all. And to drive the solenoid i am plannig to have astable multivibrator and a transistor driver for driving the solenoid. In that case how should i select the zener and the series resistor. I have done some rough calculation but the wattage seems to be higher. Could you help me in selecting the zener and resistor values?

Regards, M.Nagarajan.

Reply to
naga.deer

The voltage drop across the resistor under worst case (15V) conditions is 15-6-= 9. The resistor value must = 9/.02 = 450 Ohms. The power dissipation in the resistor will be I^2R = (.02)^2 X 450 = 0.18 Watts.

Reply to
Jon

Thank you Jon. What is it about the 0.02 in the denominator of resistance calculation. How did you arrive that value? Could you exsplain me?

I Guess you calculated the current like this 12/450 = 0.02A. But this

20 mA current will not be enough to actuate the solenoid right.

I did the calculation like this.

Mininmum Reqd to actuate the solenoid = 6/20 = 300mA

At input voltage of 7 Volts the resistor should drop only 1 Volt to drive the solenoid still at 6V. So the resistance value would be 1/0.3 = 3.33Ohms.

At input voltage of 15Volts, the power dissipation will be (15-6)*(15-6)/3.33 = 24.32watts.

Is my calculation is correct?

Regards, M.Nagarajan.

Reply to
naga.deer

No good. At 15 volts, you need to drop 9 volts across 3.33 ohms so that your solenoid gets 6 volts. That means that the zener must draw

2.7 amps. At 6 volts for the zener, that's over 16 watts it would need to dissipate. Such a zener (6 volts at over 16 watts) is unobtanium. (The resistor will need to dissipate the 24.32 watts you computed.)

I answered this elsewhere with a circuit that will work. A simple series resistor will not, and a series resistor with a zener calls for an unobtainable zener.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr