Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

All this talk about soldering irons makes me think how crummy too much American industrial design is.

Some US industrial design looks great but some looks downright, well, Russian.

Sure you can see crap-looking design in western Europe too but there's a lot less of it than in the US.

Take soldering irons for example. An ordinary soldering iron in the US with unregulated temperature still has great big mofo screws holding the tip.

By comparison, my 30 year old British-made basic Antex is a sleek looking baby and those Antexes are not particularly expensive.

Don't start me on the looks of cars!

--
Russian in America
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/bc54d50403/svetlana-pilot-episode

Same troll. Must be bored...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:08:32 +0100) it happened Allus Smith wrote in :

I have a Voltcraft soldering station, I think it is designed and made in Germany, is very nice, even has automatic switch off....

This was has been working OK for years.... Much cheaper then similar other stuff, and lot better I think. For sure better and cheaper then 'Weller'. Not sure if these are still made....

US is often a few years behind, like for example with digital TV, etc etc..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If you buy cheap, you get cheap.

Get a Metcal. No screw at all.

Mini. Citroën. Vauxhall. Volvo. Rolls. Porsche. Fiat.

John

Hello Rich, I'm the OP. I'm sorry to hear you think I'm a troll.

I don't know what you mean by "same" becuase I have only posted here recently and I hope there isn't another post which could be misconstrued as a troll.

Perhaps you just don't like my point of view?

Reply to
Allus Smith

Germany,

John

Yup, you're right! Which is why I wrote: "you can see crap-looking design in western Europe too ..... but there's a lot less of it than in the US".

One distinctive feature of US car design is a look I call: "I've just rammed a wall"

Mercifully, it is almost never found on west European cars and hopefully never will be. It is illustrated below.

There are probably 200 US cars with this sort of styling:

for every US car that looks like this:
and that one is still very angular.

--

inc car group
Reply to

Lol, idiot yank doesn't realise that "Made in the USA" really means assembled in the USA by illegal immigrant workers.

Welcome to the third work, Yank.

Reply to
terryc

Didn't you hear? A lot of them are out of work and driving overloaded old pieces of junk back to mexico, loaded down with everything they can haul.

You should talk. You Aussies bred and raised Phil Allison.

Michael A. Terrell

If you want to stuff a huge V8 with 200 tons of air conditioning and power-everything under the hood, you need a lot of hood.

But Cadillac and most things Chrysler are admittedly over the top. They corner the ugly-car-lover market.

John

Well, i have seen what might be called a variant, where the tip screws into the heating section (from RatShop!).

Reply to
Robert Baer

That last one looks more like a racing car than something for everyday use.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:taqdnWTbhNpp4HDUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

those are likely from Weller;they've been doing that for ages.

I'm Curious;who HAS a Russian soldering iron to know what is their design?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I used to have "Termit" (=D2=E5=F0=EC=E8=F2 =CF36=CA). Neither better or = worse then WES-50.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote in news:pXkHl.25123$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

you might try using TinyURL.....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have a few Russian bench power supplies. Not so good pass transistors (one went tsk ... *BANG* and destroyed some connected stuff) and the design it a bit on the ugly side but otherwise cast iron quality, potted transformers and all. Na'sdarovje!

What really surprised me was the amount of labor they put into such lower end gear. Laced wiring harnesses, umpteen quality control signatures and stamps (probably accompanied by a salute), every little gizmo in there has its own bakelite holder, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This is one of the consequences of the non-market economy. Although the lack of incentive usually results in the low quality, sometimes you can get a really good stuff just because they didn't account for the true costs of labor and materials. You can still find the examples of this post-soviet phenomenon in all areas; how about a shovel with the titanium blade?

Vladimir Vassilevsky

If you expect something from a $10 hardware store soldering iron that's made in China, you shouldn't be in electronics. The only people who use those are kids starting out in tronics and people who don't know anything about electronics.

If you want a good iron, get a Metcal (now OK). Metcal has soldering irons for under $200 which work very well for SMT and thruhole. My only gripe about the cheap Metcals is the tip temperature only goes up to 750 deg F. Gotta use my 20+ year old Weller iron for melting isulation off of magnet wire.

If you really want to see a classic soldering iron, get your hands on an American Beauty! You'll drop your shorts when you get your hands on that one.

Reply to
qrk

Is that a thermcouple junction set into a PTFE aperture for testing tip temperature?

Looks like the sort of thing the military users would want.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My dad had one, 150 W i think. It would solder 12 Ga. sheet metal. .

Reply to
JosephKK